• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand where you're coming from. I think the rationale with moving Gordon to CF is that they anticipate he will be able to play the position well considering he's one of the fastest players in baseball. That doesn't mean he will have the anticipation to play the position, but he definitely has the athleticism. Risky move IMO, but it could pay off.

Or they anticipate Cano's body finally giving up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they anticipate Cano's body finally giving up.

So your assumption is that Gordon plays a year in CF, moves back to SS while Segura shifts to 2B and Cano goes to first?

It's a possibility. I could be wrong but I think Cano has another year or two left of average/above average defensive production at 2B. He was never a guy who relied much on great athleticism at the position, just great instincts and fundamentals. I'd be surprised to see his defensive ability to drop off too substantially.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your assumption is that Gordon plays a year in CF, moves back to SS while Segura shifts to 2B and Cano goes to first?

It's a possibility. I could be wrong but I think Cano has another year or two left of average/above average defensive production at 2B. He was never a guy who relied much on great athleticism at the position, just great instincts and fundamentals. I'd be surprised to see his defensive ability to drop off too substantially.

No, I think Gordon would go to 2B and Segura stays at SS. Cano could be 1B or DH depending on his body. I don't think they make any changes unless his body gives it up, but he had core surgery two years ago, and his body was slow to react last year so we will see. I have never thought of him as an above average defensive 2B. Average at best.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think Gordon would go to 2B and Segura stays at SS. Cano could be 1B or DH depending on his body. I don't think they make any changes unless his body gives it up, but he had core surgery two years ago, and his body was slow to react last year so we will see. I have never thought of him as an above average defensive 2B. Average at best.

Good eye on the SS thing. Since Gordon broke into the league at SS I forgot that he had played primarily 2B for the Marlins the past few years. Also appears to have graded a lot better at 2B than SS.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand where you're coming from. I think the rationale with moving Gordon to CF is that they anticipate he will be able to play the position well considering he's one of the fastest players in baseball. That doesn't mean he will have the anticipation to play the position, but he definitely has the athleticism. Risky move IMO, but it could pay off.

But that kind of rationale is flawed as playing CF rarely has anything to do with speed. Just take a look at some of the best Mariners CF's, Griffey, Cameron and Guti. None of them were every remotely in the 20 in speed in baseball nor were they ever the fastest on the team. CF, and the outfield in general is all about anticipation and feel. I don't mind the move but I just think the deal was idiotic trading for a guy just to move him. Jerry traded for Segura and Haniger last year and switched their positions and neither were all that good at their new homes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good eye on the SS thing. Since Gordon broke into the league at SS I forgot that he had played primarily 2B for the Marlins the past few years. Also appears to have graded a lot better at 2B than SS.

Dang I wish I had saw this before I quoted your other one. IMO speed, is more important at SS than CF and why I never considered Jeter or Ripken very good SS's. Both made normal plays look hard and couldn't get to hard plays so it didn't show up in the box score. I'd prefer your scenario of Gordon at SS and Segura at 2B but I may be bias on that because of my feelings about Segura being a 10x better 2B than SS.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I may be bias on that because of my feelings about Segura being a 10x better 2B than SS.

Not at all because I have the same feelings. Although he exceeded my low expectations defensively last year I still prefer him and 2nd. Ideally you find another SS in the next year or two and move him over and Cano to 1st or DH. Feels like 2013/2014 where we are fitting multiple 2nd baseman into other positions on the field.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The patriots have been to 8 super bowls since the last time the mariners have been to the playoffs.

And used car Jerry is happy where this team is.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all because I have the same feelings. Although he exceeded my low expectations defensively last year I still prefer him and 2nd. Ideally you find another SS in the next year or two and move him over and Cano to 1st or DH. Feels like 2013/2014 where we are fitting multiple 2nd baseman into other positions on the field.
We will have 3 second basemen and the one that will play second will be the one I least like to play the position. However he is the only one that isn't versatile enough to play elsewhere. We need one more second basemen to play catcher then we will be gold.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The patriots have been to 8 super bowls since the last time the mariners have been to the playoffs.

And used car Jerry is happy where this team is.

Going off track here for this thread, but interesting that football has the only hard cap and it is touted as the 'Parody League' yet it has the worst parody all the major leagues. In the AFC 3 QB's (Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger) have made the SB 15 of the last 16 years. Just find that fascinating.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going off track here for this thread, but interesting that football has the only hard cap and it is touted as the 'Parody League' yet it has the worst parody all the major leagues. In the AFC 3 QB's (Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger) have made the SB 15 of the last 16 years. Just find that fascinating.

It's why I've always laughed at the NFL and NBA players union. MLBPA not only doesn't allow a salary cap, it has the richest American sport contracts, allow kids to come out of HS and or pays for college for a lot later round picks and doesn't treat their members as animals you put down...yet still has by far the most parity.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Feels like parody is waning in the NBA and MLB. I mean there's like 5 NBA Teams that have a realistic shot of winning. Feels like the MLB might have the same teams good for a few years. The playoff teams were a cut above for the most part. AL has the Astros, Indians, Red Sox Yankees. NL has the Dodgers, Cubs, Nats. Feels like anytime someone comes available via trade or if theres a top FA its those teams in on it. Maybe an overreaction but it feels that way

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shredder listed Haniger as the 9th best RF right now, so thats cool

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cano is 2nd best 2nd basemen

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cano is 2nd best 2nd basemen

Speaks more about the lack of good players I guess.

I'd still put Murphy and Dozier in front of him and maybe even Schoop ahead of him

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just nothing there excites me outside of Lewis and Carlson way down the road. The fact that Vogelbach is number 5 says enough.

I think Vogelbach will hit.

Agreed though, it's not a great system.