• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically enough to give us a mild amount of hope but not good enough to make the playoffs.

Typical.
At least I don't really have mild hope this year. Not with this rotation. I assume people love the lineup but I can see a lot of scenarios where guys don't have the years they are projected to have. I am a Mariner fan so I think that way

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros won the World Series and are still looking for ways to improve, meanwhile the Mariners finished with a losing record and they are good with where they are at

If the M's are .500 by June 1st, the FO would consider this a successful season. July, August and September the FO lets the Seahawks take over and call it another incredible baseball season.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure would like to see how the new owners are any different than the old ones. Theres very little pressure to do what it takes to win a championship.

It's very obvious they are not actually trying to win a championship unless its a miracle. The only way the mariners win a championship is if it's in a Disney movie and even they would pick the angels instead.

I got rid of cable tv this year and currently don't have a way to watch them. I probably wont even bother trying to find a way to watch.

If the team is going to be this bad they should move back to a broadcast tv channel because root sports is a horrible channel and not worth keeping cable for.

Great job there mariners front office! Running more viewers off!

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure would like to see how the new owners are any different than the old ones. Theres very little pressure to do what it takes to win a championship.

It's very obvious they are not actually trying to win a championship unless its a miracle. The only way the mariners win a championship is if it's in a Disney movie and even they would pick the angels instead.

I got rid of cable tv this year and currently don't have a way to watch them. I probably wont even bother trying to find a way to watch.

If the team is going to be this bad they should move back to a broadcast tv channel because root sports is a horrible channel and not worth keeping cable for.

The only difference I've noticed is that aside from Ohtani, the organization no longer has a fetish for Japanese players.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im struggling to find the last time I was this pessimistic heading into a season.

Might have been before 2014. They obviously almost made the playoffs but I didn't have much hope that spring even after signing Cano. Before that maybe 2011-2012 but at least those years I had fake hope because of young prospects that didn't pan out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thing is, ownership really isn't any different besides the majority of shares. Stanton and co were still minority owners but couldn't overrule Lincoln. I think all us were fooled by his first press conference where he came off as a rabid fan, much like Mark Cuban..at least O was.

And agree with Root Sports. The channel has flopped horribly. They got their instance payday but without any legit content they will have to ditch it. It was an amazing gamble on their part with the old content and future content possibility, but Fox started FS1 and the Pac12 network started taking the Huskies and Cougs off the channel, poker dried up, Pride MMA sold to the UFC, the Sounders chose Joetv or whatever, and the NHL hasn't come yet. Irony of them owning the channel is they spent money trying to keep the Sonics from coming back but had the channel had just the M's and Sonics they could have put grandma's playing shuffleboard and still been highly profitable through advertisers.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaknesses: The Mariners are short on starting pitching at the big league level, a problem because there is virtually none to be found in their system. After trading away Luiz Gohara, Nick Neidert, Freddy Peralta, Ryan Yarbrough, Brandon Miller, Juan Then and Juan De Paula--among others--in recent years, the Mariners' system has nothing but future relievers and spot starters, at best, outside of 2017 draftee Sam Carlson.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly this franchise is in such a shitty position.

A bunch of aging players with terrible contracts (Seager, Cano, Felix), and absolutely nothing in the farm system.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still not understanding the Gordon move unless it was purely for getting the international cash that is useless. I thought outfield defense was a main point of emphasis for Dipoto. Instead at the most important defensive position we are using a second baseman. Not only that we gave up one of our better pitching prospects in a bare system. Why not just sign a guy like Cain for similar dollars and keep your prospects while getting the better OF.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An OF that I thought would be a good fit for M's...but they are set so

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An OF that I thought would be a good fit for M's...but they are set so

I'm sure we will see a couple more sidegrades aka the Dipoto specials

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to sports radio, Mariners have been given the honor of having the absolute worst farm system in the entire league! That’s just peachy... When are the M’s gonna get baseball people making decisions for this team ??

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to sports radio, Mariners have been given the honor of having the absolute worst farm system in the entire league! That’s just peachy... When are the M’s gonna get baseball people making decisions for this team ??

Not in my lifetime...which I have already wasted 40+ years on.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we will see a couple more sidegrades aka the Dipoto specials

I thought Grichuk would have been a good, cheap 4th OF who hits righties and plays all 3 OF positions well.But why get an OF when you can just overtrade for an infielder who you can recreate as a CF at 30.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.But why get an OF when you can just overtrade for an infielder who you can recreate as a CF at 30.
Right and that's a bigger head scratcher more then anything else. Yea the starting pitching thing pisses me off but he's already going against the shit he emphasized two years ago. Its very Jack Z like when all of the sudden he made moves like trading Pineda for Montero or Jaso for Morse which completely disregarded the direction he originally had laid out earlier. I mean get someone in here who realizes the shitstorm and fucking rebuild it. Fuck all these sidegrade moves that map out to being a fringe contender at best

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is more of a reason I don't like having a GM who is like Manfred (hates baseball, in a way) there has been talks since the early 2000's about going to a 6 man rotation. Jerry sees a 6 man rotation and says f you, I'll take a 2 man rotation with 15 relievers. Don't try to rewrite the wheel when you don't have the farm system for the next GM to fix up your garbage.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still not understanding the Gordon move unless it was purely for getting the international cash that is useless. I thought outfield defense was a main point of emphasis for Dipoto. Instead at the most important defensive position we are using a second baseman. Not only that we gave up one of our better pitching prospects in a bare system. Why not just sign a guy like Cain for similar dollars and keep your prospects while getting the better OF.

I understand where you're coming from. I think the rationale with moving Gordon to CF is that they anticipate he will be able to play the position well considering he's one of the fastest players in baseball. That doesn't mean he will have the anticipation to play the position, but he definitely has the athleticism. Risky move IMO, but it could pay off.