• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly the Marlins player i was hoping for, also can he even play CF?

No, but I imagine the Mariners' front office line of thought is that his speed is on par with Hamilton/Buxton and it could translate into him being a very good defender. But then again, DeShields Jr. is also similarly fast and he's a pretty average-ish CF. I also have no clue if Gordon really has the arm for the outfield.

It's not the first time Gordon has had to learn a new position. He was a bad shortstop and moved to 2B, where he eventually turned into a decent defender (+13 DRS, 3.7 UZR/150).

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this happens
DQaQrcnVQAAO_YV.jpg

It'll all be worth it

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I was in school, I wrote about Dave Niehaus being my hero. I genuinely to this day believe that his enthusiasm saved baseball in Seattle.

The greatest tragedy in baseball history is that he was unable to call a world series game.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I imagine the Mariners' front office line of thought is that his speed is on par with Hamilton/Buxton and it could translate into him being a very good defender. But then again, DeShields Jr. is also similarly fast and he's a pretty average-ish CF. I also have no clue if Gordon really has the arm for the outfield.

It's not the first time Gordon has had to learn a new position. He was a bad shortstop and moved to 2B, where he eventually turned into a decent defender (+13 DRS, 3.7 UZR/150).

Wasn't Gordon the guy Dodgers were going to turn into a CF because of the logjam of infielders a few year back but then turned him to 2B and then traded him?

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, Dipoto is making a huge move to get Ohtani. Correct?

Is Dipoto WRONG?

I like it, no LOVE it, that JD is trying to improve the squad. 40+ is enough. I'm ready.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins have been rebuilding for awhile, and are quite happy to have a sucker like Dipoto give them another bargaining chips for this coming July.

The Marlins are just beginning their rebuild, and will use several years of winters and summer deadlines to take advantage of suckers like Dipoto. I'd put my money on them making the playoffs before the M's do.

If they get Ohtani, then it pretty much just amounts to another cool bobblehead night at safeco.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon has had 200+ hit season 2 of the last 3 seasons. Not bad for a leadoff hitter in Seattle.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he'd be a fine acquisition if this were a team that was a couple of moves away from being relevant in the west.

m's were already a bottom 10 farm system in mlb at the end of this season, and the past 2 days have brought that down to bottom 5.

so this is pretty much it. dee gordon, and maybe ohtani. maybe a couple of other garbage for garbage moves, and maybe owners will cough up some money for free agent or two in an incredibly weak winter market.

the only bargaining chip the m's will have left by this july is cruz, and then it's literally zilch after that for at least another year.

this team is nowhere.

rightstuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he'd be a fine acquisition if this were a team that was a couple of moves away from being relevant in the west.

Getting Gordon and Hopefully Ohtani would be huge.

At this point, I APPROVE of the moves by JD to get Ohtani.

rightstuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem so pissed about losing our top prospects, but at the same time say we have no prospects.

HOW many prospects work out?
Trading these 3 failure prospects for Dee Gordon AND a better opportunity to get Ohtani.

WELCOMED.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Gordon and Hopefully Ohtani would be huge.

At this point, I APPROVE of the moves by JD to get Ohtani.
That's kinda the point though... what if he doesn't??? I think we will all be happy if we get Ohtani and we will all not give any shits about the players we traded to get the extra money and if Ohtani succeeds in the majors he will look like a genius. But if he doesn't it will be viewed as some of the dumbest shit ever pulled by a Mariners GM. Think about it Dipoto now has the most money to give Ohtani so if Ohtani signs with someone else for less it was a waste of useless money and a terrible job by Dipoto of judging the situation.

I honestly think Dipoto is selling out for this season to be a winner and not really giving any fucks for a few years down the road, which to be honest it would be nice to win one so whatever. I think he believes he should do anything possible to land Ohtani and if he doesn't he will just sign a decent starting pitcher and go into the season with a lineup that could produce a ton of runs with Gordon, Segura 1-2 and Cano, Cruz, Seager, Healy, Haniger Zunino.

You are right though landing both Gordon and Ohtani would be huge, but not one without the other.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re all in agreement that no Ohtani is going to be a colossal failure for this GM. Giving a lot away to lure him in. Maybe one of those time you wish the Japanese group is still involved lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speed doesn't equal defensive success. Gordon definitely has the athleticism to play CF, but that doesn't mean he will be successful. I absolutely love what he brings at the plate, he has been one of my favorite MLB players, but I worry that there might be a learning curve in CF.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed doesn't equal defensive success. Gordon definitely has the athleticism to play CF, but that doesn't mean he will be successful. I absolutely love what he brings at the plate, he has been one of my favorite MLB players, but I worry that there might be a learning curve in CF.

Absolutely. That's why I mentioned DeShields Jr.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So hypothetically...how would you all feel if the M's ended up landing Gordon, Ohtani and Darvish this off-season?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon has had 200+ hit season 2 of the last 3 seasons. Not bad for a leadoff hitter in Seattle.

The idea of Gordon and Segura at the top of the order is exciting, don't get me wrong. I am just not sure about the idea of him in CF. I am sure he has the range and athleticism to track down fly balls but you cant exactly teach an OF arm. You either have it or you don't.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The catcher (Banuelos?) they traded away was about our #13 prospect and now is #24-25 for the Twins. Just goes to show how our farm system stacks up with a real one.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem so pissed about losing our top prospects, but at the same time say we have no prospects.

HOW many prospects work out?
Trading these 3 failure prospects for Dee Gordon AND a better opportunity to get Ohtani.

WELCOMED.

Yea I can subscribe to this because Mariner top prospects aren't the same as a normal systems top prospects. Neidart was what our #3 prospect? and he projects to a 3-4 starter. Says enough