• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Lions Board Draft Thread

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the new GM fire that idiot coach yet?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I watch the C and T the more I like them

yes. Drafting both was good value, imo. Drafting Kerryon was BQ's guy for RB (at least for the ones remaining or maybe his RB all along).

Crosby is an absolute steal, imo. Hopefully they can cross train for swing tackle and guard. I'd hope he becomes starting LG in 2019 and Glasgow takes over Lang's starting RG position in 2019. Glasgow has more power in his core and base, slower, choppier footwork which suits that position better for him. I'm biased on that last thought as I felt his natural NFL position all along was RG coming from CFB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all for fixing the run game. Lions just took the wrong players. Better interior line prospects in the first. Absolute wrong running back, and gave up an extra 4th for the priveledge. With no 4th anymore they trade a future third for a 4th round player.

I liked the FB pick and Corbin

I don't think they're the wrong players drafted per say. It's arguable if other players were better choices only by how an individual perceives their traits and how they translate to the NFL.

The running game should be fixed now, hopefully.

I do understand drafting Bawden and he may very well not signed with the Lions as an UDFA or possibly drafted after he was taken. He arguably has a much higher chance of making the roster than other players that were left.

Johnson is a good RB prospect. He has good agility, balance, burst coming out of jump cuts and is tough as can be. He may not be the choice of some or many on here but imo he's better than AA and that's a plus. He's also pretty damn good in pass pro and catching out of the backfield.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn's Kerryon Johnson selected by Detroit Lions in 2018 NFL Draft

Lions general manager Bob Quinn said there were "no issues" with Johnson's durability and his patient running style, acceleration, speed and ability to get yards after contact were what set him apart.

"Our physical came back good on Kerryon," Quinn said. "We saw him at the Combine, our doctors looked at him, like they did at every player at the Combine. He was a player that we visited here at three weeks ago, put him through another physical. You draft players out of the SEC, they're going to be a little bit banged up but he's good to go. ... He'll hold up. He's a guy that they run inside the tackles primarily in that offense. If you know Gus Malzahn's offense, they basically tun between the guards. I think this guy is very versatile that he can run inside, but I think we'll probably use him more to run outside as well."

According to Pro Football Focus, Johnson had 826 yards after contact, which was fifth among running backs in this year's draft.

BB_72. so, there's going to be some outside zone runs scripted for him.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they're the wrong players drafted per say. It's arguable if other players were better choices only by how an individual perceives their traits and how they translate to the NFL.

The running game should be fixed now, hopefully.

I do understand drafting Bawden and he may very well not signed with the Lions as an UDFA or possibly drafted after he was taken. He arguably has a much higher chance of making the roster than other players that were left.

Johnson is a good RB prospect. He has good agility, balance, burst coming out of jump cuts and is tough as can be. He may not be the choice of some or many on here but imo he's better than AA and that's a plus. He's also pretty damn good in pass pro and catching out of the backfield.

I am open to being wrong, would not be the first time and I am no guru of football. I was not a huge fan of Ragnow, just hope I am wrong. For so long we have lacked a mauler type up the middle, I feel like Hernandez or Price would have filled something we have lacked for ages. Ragnow feels like more of the same.

One thing I read said Johnson would be 70% of Leveon Bell, if that turns out to be true I will need to apologize to the board.

I love the Crosby pick, and he may become the mauler I have wanted so bad. Improve his technique for a year or 2 and step in for Lang would be awesome. I have high hopes, but I am concerned he ducked questions about concussions.

I am fine with Hand, using a third on him was way too steep, Quinn did a lot of favors for the Patriots. At this point I would suck a dick to get a gm that regularly trades back, I really thought Quinn would be that guy.

Loved the FB, I seem to be a minority there, hopefully he is the new Schlesinger!

Maybe the safety is this years Galloday, I was not thrilled with a small school wr, but he was better than expected.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite BQ draft.

Can't wait to crush my buddies with the Lions barbarian horde Oline on Madden this year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am open to being wrong, would not be the first time and I am no guru of football. I was not a huge fan of Ragnow, just hope I am wrong. For so long we have lacked a mauler type up the middle, I feel like Hernandez or Price would have filled something we have lacked for ages. Ragnow feels like more of the same.

One thing I read said Johnson would be 70% of Leveon Bell, if that turns out to be true I will need to apologize to the board.

I love the Crosby pick, and he may become the mauler I have wanted so bad. Improve his technique for a year or 2 and step in for Lang would be awesome. I have high hopes, but I am concerned he ducked questions about concussions.

I am fine with Hand, using a third on him was way too steep, Quinn did a lot of favors for the Patriots. At this point I would suck a dick to get a gm that regularly trades back, I really thought Quinn would be that guy.

Loved the FB, I seem to be a minority there, hopefully he is the new Schlesinger!

Maybe the safety is this years Galloday, I was not thrilled with a small school wr, but he was better than expected.

Thats a healthy attitude to have. You are wrong a lot.

JK pal.:heh:

Although If you had listened to me last year you would not have been surprised about how good Kenny G was. I nailed that pick.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BQ the cock blocker

Adam Schefter

✔@AdamSchefter

Lions keep picking players before other teams can. Detroit drafted Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson at No. 43 with Washington preparing to take him at No. 44. Then Detroit drafted UL Laf CB Tracy Walker at No. 82 before Carolina could get him at No. 85. Always stories behind each pick.

12:20 PM - Apr 28, 2018
knowing this I improve my grade from B+ to solid A. Especially considering we snagged RAGNOW from Cinci, Minny and New Engly.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a healthy attitude to have. You are wrong a lot.

JK pal.:heh:

Although If you had listened to me last year you would not have been surprised about how good Kenny G was. I nailed that pick.

I loved that pick too. I also won the Lions board pickems AND the record contest last year and Matt Stafford pick and Suh and Levy so I'm on a roll.

Oh and Patricia.

And the C.

:heh:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
knowing this I improve my grade from B+ to solid A. Especially considering we snagged RAGNOW from Cinci, Minny and New Engly.

I give it a B. We got some talented players but we gave up too much for them IMO. It also seemed like we drafted many of them a round before we should have.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give it a B. We got some talented players but we gave up too much for them IMO. It also seemed like we drafted many of them a round before we should have.

If we stole 3 guys from 3 teams w RAGNOW, KJ and the S, I would say we got them right here we needed to get them.

In the end, we have up next year's 3rd. Not hard to get that back in next year's draft.

I'm very excited to finally see a competitive run game in Detroit.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn's Kerryon Johnson selected by Detroit Lions in 2018 NFL Draft
According to Pro Football Focus, Johnson had 826 yards after contact, which was fifth among running backs in this year's draft.

BB_72. so, there's going to be some outside zone runs scripted for him.
I didn't see a lot of contact around the line of scrimage, though. Secondary "contact" could be as slight as a diving leg tap. First five yard contact is much different. How does he handle that?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 v. 2018

* Mayhew takes OG, RB with first two picks

* Mayhew gives away 2016 3rd round pick to move into 4th round to take underwhelming Auburn DL Gabe Wright

* Mayhew uses (wastes) pick on a FB

* Quinn takes C/OG, RB with first two picks

* Quinn gives away 2019 3rd round pick to move into 4th round to take underwhelming Bama DL DaShawn Hand

* Quinn uses (wastes) pick on a FB

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a lot of contact around the line of scrimage, though. Secondary "contact" could be as slight as a diving leg tap. First five yard contact is much different. How does he handle that?

put the Bama and Georgia full game videos on and you can see flashes and glimpses of him running up the middle between the guards. Malzahn runs a lot of zone and their rb's take what's given to them which is a lot of change of direction that run outside the hash marks. In all honestly, I could say the same for many of the SEC rb's or any other conference for what's it worth that will run outside first rather waiting/hesitating slightly to run up the middle

btw, I'm not in KJ's corner as to wanting him but why were so many fans wanting Rashaad Penny when he didn't do jack against Fresno St nor Boise St. Put those videos on and you'll see when they stack the box he's not all that much. Furthermore how is it that Penny couldn't beat out a diminutive RB like 2017 NFL draftee Donnell Pumphrey who was barely 5'9 and 175 lbs. Penny did get reps in 2016 but Pumphrey was the workhorse when he was there.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for future reference in down the road drafts.

Why the Detroit Lions made each pick, in Bob Quinn’s own words

the following is in regards to talking about Da'Shawn Hand and overall scheme.

The Lions got aggressive and finally addressed the front seven by trading their 2019 third-round pick to get Alabama defensive lineman Da’Shawn Hand. Here’s Quinn on why they made the trade:

“Thought it was a really good value pick. Big, strong, guy, position versatility, can play inside, can play outside. Good scheme fit for us. Good knowledge of our defensive line coach, that helped. Knows our technique, met with him at the pro day. Matt (Patricia) and I went down there to the pro day and met with all those guys. Had a good meeting with Da’Shawn, so felt that was a really good pick for us there.”

As for his fit in Detroit, that’s where Quinn got very specific and, finally, spoke some details on the Lions’ defensive scheme:

“I think once you guys see us line up in OTA’s, you’re going to see that you’re going to have to really pay close attention to where guys line up. We’re not going to have a base 3-4, a base 4-3. So, he’s a defensive lineman that can play really anywhere, from I’d say seven technique, all the way down to nose, depending on the different fronts we’re going to use. So, that was one of things we really liked about him.”

Although Hand is certainly a versatile piece, he isn’t the prototypical pass-rushing edge that many Lions fans desired. Quinn went on to explain that that may not be the kind of defensive end they’ll be looking for in the future.

“Our old defensive front was very much one gap and very much get-up-the-field, and I’d say very much less in terms of gap responsibility. So, we are much more, I’d say, conscious of technique, holding our gaps, playing sound fundamentals, rather than just getting up the field. We’re not really a two-gap team right now.

In other words, pure pass rushers may not be a huge priority for this team, as we wrote about back in February. Hand fits what Patricia wants, not what fans want.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Matt Patricia gone, will there be changes to the Patriots' defensive scheme?

this article might give more insight to Patricia's defense and how you might expect them to draft next year.

Bigger, more athletic, versatile LB'ers who can do all, set the edge, come downhill to stop the run and also be adept to drop into coverage without being a liability. I would think smaller, coverage only LB'ers, like JRM, might not be drafted anymore.

The same could be said for Safeties, where they're looking for players who aren't great in coverage but still slightly above average with traits to coach up but for damn sure are strong, willing tacklers who don't have many missed tackles.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 v. 2018

* Mayhew takes OG, RB with first two picks

* Mayhew gives away 2016 3rd round pick to move into 4th round to take underwhelming Auburn DL Gabe Wright

* Mayhew uses (wastes) pick on a FB

* Quinn takes C/OG, RB with first two picks

* Quinn gives away 2019 3rd round pick to move into 4th round to take underwhelming Bama DL DaShawn Hand

* Quinn uses (wastes) pick on a FB

I give you an A for effort and putting 2and2 together but If you KJ is going to be as bad as AA then you are living in fantasy land. Also, everyone knew LT was a stretch in the first round. Noone had him rated higher then second round. Ragnow was the best center in the draft according to the majority of experts.

Its a nice coincidence but thats all it is.