• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official BAMA vs Kent St. Thread

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on this game are we, of course, need to come out of it injury free and see who is gonna step up and take the qb spot. I don't feel that it will be settled this weekend. I think they are both auditioning until the 4th week.
Also looking forward to watching Jesse Williams and Quinton Dial to see how they are gonna contribute. Both should be beasts. Cyrus could also lock up the LT spot so we can move Jones back to G.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole team plays, Saban does not run up the score but covers the spread, by the 4th quarter the water boys are dominating what is left of KState

Red Elephant101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope when the Kent State football team first comes out of the tunnel, all the Bama fans stand up and give them a standing ovation for coming to Tuscaloosa after the 4/27 tornado and helping with the clean up. RTR!

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope when the Kent State football team first comes out of the tunnel, all the Bama fans stand up and give them a standing ovation for coming to Tuscaloosa after the 4/27 tornado and helping with the clean up. RTR!

My Facebook page is filled up with same posts requesting that no one boo Kent St when they come out. I think it would be really classy if we do indeed give them a standing ovation for their good deeds.

As for the game I don't think we will learn a lot about the team but it will be good to see them in action.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Facebook page is filled up with same posts requesting that no one boo Kent St when they come out. I think it would be really classy if we do indeed give them a standing ovation for their good deeds.

As for the game I don't think we will learn a lot about the team but it will be good to see them in action.

True, it will be a good primer before heading to happy valley. I don't think it will be a friendly place. I thought our fans were classy when Joe Pa stepped on to the field at B-D. I'm sure no PState fan really likes Saban. LOL

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited to get the season started! I watched 3 games today, but I can't wait for the real games on Saturday. I think we either have a starting QB after this game or Penn st., I just don't see it going past week 2, especially with how good the Penn st. secondary is supposed to be. Hopefully we leave all the jitters and early season mistakes on the field this Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three Questions for the opener

Here are three questions for the Alabama Crimson Tide heading into its season opener against Kent State. We'll revisit these queries with three answers on Sunday.
As expected, McCarron's competition with Sims will carry over into the regular season.

1.] How will the quarterback rotation affect the flow of the offense?:

Even with a mid-major opponent serving as the backdrop, Alabama Idol will make the opener worth the price of admission. After all, it's rare that a quarterback competition plays out in a regular-season game before 101,000 fans. For those watching at home, you will we be able to text your vote to 1-800-BAMA-QBS beginning with the start of the fourth quarter.

Joking aside, with AJ McCarron and Phillip Sims splitting the first six offensive series three and three, it will be interesting to see if the offense can not only find its groove, but also maintain it. Given that little separates the two in terms of physical makeup, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in what each quarterback is asked to do.

Despite what some have tried to tell you, this isn't Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. McCarron and Sims, a pair of pocket passers, are not package specific. Given this, the offense should be able to sustain some semblance of continuity regardless of who is taking the snaps. And, of course, there's always Trent Richardson to turn and hand the ball to.

The irony in all this is that the one thing -- fan and media scrutiny -- Nick Saban tried to avoid in the preseason will ratchet up six or seven notches Saturday afternoon. Not only will stats be made available, but we'll be able to see how McCarron and Sims handle the heat of playing the position at UA with our very own eyes. With the anticipation of not only a new season but also a new starting quarterback at a fever pitch, prepare yourself for overreaction.

2.] Will a talented defense show needed signs of maturity?:

We know this Alabama defense is blessed with immense physical talent. More so than how well this unit plays, though, I'll be interested to see how it plays. That means less of the presnap confusion and busted assignments we saw from an inexperienced group a season ago.

I'll buy that the 2011 unit compares with the 2009 defense from a pure talent standpoint. As for intangibles, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Rolando and the McClains weren't just gifted physically. They were air-tight in their assignments and self-policed from an accountability standpoint. Combine those elements and a defense goes from "talented" to "great".

3.] Which new faces might we see on Saturday?

It's a given that junior college transfers Jesse Williams and Quinton Dial will see time along the defensive line in the opener. Both exited fall camp in the top four at defensive end, with Williams listed as a starter.

It's with the freshmen where things get a little tricky. Based on the depth chart and potential for special teams action, here's my call for the youngsters: offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio; defensive end Jeoffrey Pagan; linebackers Trey DePriest and Xzavier Dickson; and safeties Vinnie Sunseri and Hasean Clinton-Dix.