• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2017 Off-Season Thread

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheaton has all the tools to be a complete WR in the NFL, but injuries have plagued him. He could never stay on the field long enough to make a consistent impact. He had a shot at being the #2 guy in PIT but was better suited in the slot when Marty B broke out into the NFL. Great work ethic type of player though, and good locker room presence.
Thanks for the write up. Hopefully he can stay healthy with us.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly love what we've done so far... Our biggest issue last season was the ability to finish and I think that largely stemmed from our guys (especially on D) playing their hearts out but running out of gas in the 2nd half... We are building up some quality depth and not breaking the bank in the process... No, the names don't jump off the page at this point, but Demps, Amukamura, Cooper, etc... Some nice secondary pieces there to go with what we already have...

And the offense will be fine. Glennon doesn't have to be a world beater and at WR we survived a good portion of the season without Alshon anyway, so... As long as Jordan Howard keeps it up? We should be good there.

I'm actually kind of excited! And we haven't even drafted yet!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly love what we've done so far... Our biggest issue last season was the ability to finish and I think that largely stemmed from our guys (especially on D) playing their hearts out but running out of gas in the 2nd half... We are building up some quality depth and not breaking the bank in the process... No, the names don't jump off the page at this point, but Demps, Amukamura, Cooper, etc... Some nice secondary pieces there to go with what we already have...

And the offense will be fine. Glennon doesn't have to be a world beater and at WR we survived a good portion of the season without Alshon anyway, so... As long as Jordan Howard keeps it up? We should be good there.

Yeah, some cautious optimism is creeping in for me too. If our defense can stay healthy, and we run the ball like we did last season. Glennon just playing solid football could make us pretty dang competitive.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, some cautious optimism is creeping in for me too. If our defense can stay healthy, and we run the ball like we did last season. Glennon just playing solid football could make us pretty dang competitive.

And honestly I think our division is wide open... The Packers are coming back to the rest of the division, and Detroit and Minny are nothing special.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly I think our division is wide open... The Packers are coming back to the rest of the division, and Detroit and Minny are nothing special.

What's really reassuring to me, is that we're doing this the right way. We're not trying to make this a quick fix, by going out and shelling huge money at big name FA's like Emery did. We're not going to mortgage our future on Jimmy G, like we did Cutler.

We're building a base, through the draft. From the ground up. We seem to be trending towards a real identity finally. We have a strong front seven, a strong O-line and a very good young RB. One step at a time, we're putting a formidable football team together. There seems to be a vision we're trending towards, which is refreshing to see.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's really reassuring to me, is that we're doing this the right way. We're not trying to make this a quick fix, by going out and shelling huge money at big name FA's like Emery did. We're not going to mortgage our future on Jimmy G, like we did Cutler.

We're building a base, through the draft. From the ground up. We seem to be trending towards a real identity finally. We have a strong front seven, a strong O-line and a very good young RB. One step at a time, we're putting a formidable football team together. There seems to be a vision we're trending towards, which is refreshing to see.

Yep, I think we brought in a good coaching team as well that simply needs/ed time to put the plan in motion...

Now, you know what's going to happen, don't you? The second we start to sniff success, Fangio is gone. Bet he'll get a HC gig... :D

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I think we brought in a good coaching team as well that simply needs/ed time to put the plan in motion...

Now, you know what's going to happen, don't you? The second we start to sniff success, Fangio is gone. Bet he'll get a HC gig... :D

Yeah, just like Gase. Would be really nice to still have him. He obviously did a great job in Miami.

He's almost 60 though... I wonder if he just doesn't have a desire to be a HC.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just like Gase. Would be really nice to still have him. He obviously did a great job in Miami.

He's almost 60 though... I wonder if he just doesn't have a desire to be a HC.

Here's hoping! :D

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmmmm,I wonder if we will be looking at wr on our 2nd pick?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm,I wonder if we will be looking at wr on our 2nd pick?

Eh, I think Pace is content rolling with this group this year. When you think about it, I don't even know who we're going to cut.

Meredith
White
Wheaton
Wright
Bellamy (SPT's)
Randle (Maybe odd man out?)
Braverman (Guessing he's cut, clears waivers and stays on our practice squad)

We already nearly have a full camp roster. I think we'll address WR next draft.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I think Pace is content rolling with this group this year. When you think about it, I don't even know who we're going to cut.

Meredith
White
Wheaton
Wright
Bellamy (SPT's)
Randle (Maybe odd man out?)
Braverman (Guessing he's cut, clears waivers and stays on our practice squad)

We already nearly have a full camp roster. I think we'll address WR next draft.

We pick up Glennon,Alshon leaves,so we`re gonna stick with what we got.That would not make sense to me..........I just can`t think we leave that big of hole.........it`ll be just like last season when Forte left,we drafted Howard.....I gotta believe we have to either pick up a freeagent(if theres any good ones left),draft one or I guess wait til training camp cuts..........But I`m not liking it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We pick up Glennon,Alshon leaves,so we`re gonna stick with what we got.That would not make sense to me..........I just can`t think we leave that big of hole.........it`ll be just like last season when Forte left,we drafted Howard.....I gotta believe we have to either pick up a freeagent(if theres any good ones left),draft one or I guess wait til training camp cuts..........But I`m not liking it.

I mean, we picked up three veteran free agent WR's this off-season. Not sure what more you want.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we picked up Wheaton(which duh,I knew about),but that signing is just ehh........And Kendall wright which I did not know...........Seems to be a very interesting signing.......I believe he was RGIII`s wr in college? And was noted for his speed?
it also does appear that he`s been injured the last couple of years.......hopefully that trend does not continue.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least the Bears resigned Connor Barth.....

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least the Bears resigned Connor Barth.....

He actually did a good job after a rough first few games.

A lot better than Gould in NYG.

It's funny how one bad miss can just mentally bury a kicker. He never got over that SF miss in 2015. Just like Blair Walsh in Minnesota, and Vanderjact after that miss in the playoffs vs Pittsburgh.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a trend that has been going on here for a LONG time...and it continues this offseason. There always seems to be a comment about the MONEY.
The Bears have PLENTY OF money. There is NO issue with how much they spend.... IT DOESN'T matter!!!! There was a huge argument about too much money spent on this guy or that guy- but the truth is- the Bears have never had an issue with the salary cap or have NOT had the money available to spend when they needed to.
The problem has always been the available players. They TRIED to spend a boatload of money on top FA CB's and they would have...if those guys wanted to play here. They didn't.
AND if they had paid out top dollar for one of those CB's I'm positive that would have been looked at as a negative. "WHOAH they spent too much on him!" "Why did they spend too much on garbage?"

I don't understand the continuing worry about money with this team. SPEND it. Who cares... this isn't the Blackhawks with the hard cap issues. And it's not your money.

I ask the board- Have they missed out on any player because they didn't offer enough?
Have the missed out on a player because they didn't have enough available?
Or have the the players that signed big $ deals simply NOT want to sign here...that's my point.
Let's stop worrying about money. It's a big business. It's going to have figures and numbers that you or I are not used to. AND it's simply the going rate for some of these players. Yes even career backup QB's who haven't played in 2 years. (this is why we all wish we could be pro athletes!)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a trend that has been going on here for a LONG time...and it continues this offseason. There always seems to be a comment about the MONEY.
The Bears have PLENTY OF money. There is NO issue with how much they spend.... IT DOESN'T matter!!!! There was a huge argument about too much money spent on this guy or that guy- but the truth is- the Bears have never had an issue with the salary cap or have NOT had the money available to spend when they needed to.
The problem has always been the available players. They TRIED to spend a boatload of money on top FA CB's and they would have...if those guys wanted to play here. They didn't.
AND if they had paid out top dollar for one of those CB's I'm positive that would have been looked at as a negative. "WHOAH they spent too much on him!" "Why did they spend too much on garbage?"

I don't understand the continuing worry about money with this team. SPEND it. Who cares... this isn't the Blackhawks with the hard cap issues. And it's not your money.

I ask the board- Have they missed out on any player because they didn't offer enough?
Or have the the players that signed big $ deals simply NOT want to sign here...that's my point.
Let's stop worrying about money. It's a big business. It's going to have figures and numbers that you or I are not used to. AND it's simply the going rate for some of these players. Yes even career backup QB's who haven't played in 2 years. (this is why we all wish we could be pro athletes!)

Joey... What the heck are you talking about? Were you under a rock for the Emery era, and all of the problems it caused us? I cannot believe what the hell I am reading.

It's not my money... no shit. It's the team's money that I root for, and it's important to use it wisely. Because, ya know... there's kind of that whole "salary cap" thing. Which I am now convinced you may not understand.

Joey, you seem like a really nice guy. However, I have to be a bit frank here.

This is perhaps the most taken back I have ever been by a post on this message board, maybe ANY message board. I genuinely don't know how to respond. Your understanding of salary cap, and why it's important in the NFL is so juvenile... I just don't know what to say.

I am floored by the ignorance displayed in this post. That is all.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still got a feeling this bears franchise has a secret hard on for Watson. According to David Hales twitter account, Fox spent Watsons entire workout chatting to swinney about Watson. I'm seriously hoping this is the case right now.