• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Adleman signing with a Korean team didn't garner a lot of attention, but is a classic illustration of how lopsided the Posting Systems are. The Angels pay $20m for the right to negotiate with Ohtani and Reds probably got a $100 Amazon gift card for Adleman.

I'm sure the Reds got more than that, but those kind of deals generally don't come with many details. I'm not clear on how the procedure even works when a MLB player under contract signs with a NPB or KBO team.

I'm assuming he didn't have to clear waivers because I would have thought some team would have claimed him.
Addy was released and knew it in October. I am sure phone calls were made. It's not like MLB could accuse the Koreans of tampering when they already knew the guy wanted to play there.

I would guess that the player's agent would pass around a memo that his man has a solid contract from Asia that he has signed and intends to honor. Since he was a free agent, he was free to sign that deal, probably several months ago (or weeks).

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price has put any speculation concerning who is the Reds #1 catcher to rest. I didn't expect the Reds to announce Mesoraco would be the backup prior to ST, but I had already assumed that would be the case.
I think Barney earned the job and Mesoraco has to know that.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Addy was released and knew it in October. I am sure phone calls were made. It's not like MLB could accuse the Koreans of tampering when they already knew the guy wanted to play ther

The stories I've seen said the Samsung Lions contacted the Reds. The Reds gave the OK and a deal was worked out Nov. 30 and the Reds officially released him Dec. 6th.

Whether there were any back door meetings with the Koreans or Russians.....
I don't know.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Barney earned the job and Mesoraco has to know

Looking at it from the outside I agree with that. But knowing the competitive nature of athletes I doubt Mesoraco had conceded in his own mind that he wasn't at least competing for the #1 heading into ST when the off season began.

I think Mesoraco's mind is ready, but is the body willing?The injuries have taken a toll on Mesoraco, but he is still only 29 and I suspect he'll belives he'll be starting or at least competing for a #1 gig somewhere next season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mesoraco's mind is ready, but is the body willing?The injuries have taken a toll on Mesoraco, but he is still only 29 and I suspect he'll belives he'll be starting or at least competing for a #1 gig somewhere next season.

I think it's time the Reds stopped playing fantasy ball. Barnhart comes to camp ready. Mesoraco has injuries. They need at last report, a catcher. If Mesoraco isn't happy, he'll leave.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a simple philosophy on depth charts. The player that gives you the best chance to win today should be on the field. The player that gives a team the best chance to win today may not be the best option tomorrow. I expect the manager to adjust accordingly.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things change fast in baseball. I believe right now Barnhart gives the Reds the best chance to win. There should be no problem with Barnhart as long as he stays healthy. But we staying the same thing about Mesoraco a few years back.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure. Jarred Hughes knows NL-c hitters. If he continues doing what he's done most of his career he'll be a nice upgrade.

Continues to be a slow developing free agent signing market. Two to three years seems to be the trend and not a lot of $$ being thrown around.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a better bullpen assuming Lorenzen, Peralta and Iglesias come out at least marginally better this year.
I think one of the top 7 or so starters will end up in the pen, probably Stephenson and Garrett.
Mahle may start out as a reliever.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have more SP than they have rotation spots at AAA and the big club. But they also have a level of uncertainty with Homer, Disco, and Finnegan missing all or part of the 2017 season. So there is an obvious need for a strategy to deal with the potential of the 2017 injury plagued scenario repeating itself.

When Price was interviewed at Redsfest he said two pitchers that have always been starters would be coming to ST competing as relievers only. He said he didn't want to give their names until he had a chance to speak with them in person. There's more than two names with MLB experience I could see falling into that category. Cody Reed, Rookie Davis, Amir Garrett, Jackson Stephens, and maybe Keury Mella.

I'm an advocate for pitchers knowing and undestanding their role. Sprinters and distant runners don't train the same and neither do pitchers depending on their role. More importantly it allows the pitcher to be mentally prepared to excel. As Yogi liked to say "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical".

Price also said they learned a lesson from last season and needed to maintain SP depth. That statement may indicate that the top rotation candidates will either be starting in Cincy or Louisville.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO
If the Reds are convinced a pitcher is a bona-fide SP it's counter productive to pitch him out of the bullpen. It in no way allows a pitcher to develop as a SP and uses up MLB service time.

I veiw a late season callup different than starting the season in that role. A late season callup is used more as an orientation to MLB baseball.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett and Reed are the 2 intriguing options since both are lefties with little real success to show for it.
Garrett of course had the hip injury.
Unless the team goes out and finds a lefty off the FA list, one of those guys has to get a shot at the rotation.
Reed's talent is awesome. His mechanics suck.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching MLBN yesterday and they said the Reds and Giants were discussing a trade for Hamilton. They didn't say what the Reds would get, but how great it would be for the Giants to get Him. All about the Giants of course. The they did say that the Giants wouldn't have to give up much. This tells me that its not anything that is going to happened, and it's all bullshit

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A name that has been floated around is the Giants 2017 first rounder Heliot Ramos. He's listed as a toolsy OF which is code for project. But he seems to be the type of guy that intrigues the Reds scouting department. But in the end I think Eburg summed it all up with "it's all bullshit".

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett and Reed are the 2 intriguing options since both are lefties with little real success to show for it.
Garrett of course had the hip injury.
Unless the team goes out and finds a lefty off the FA list, one of those guys has to get a shot at the rotation.
Reed's talent is awesome. His mechanics suck.

I think minor league options could be a major consideration for the Reds pitching roster decisions.

Amir Garrett is out of options which is a bad position for the Reds and Garrett. He is probably one of the two Price spoke of as bullpen only options. The only real thing Garrett has in his favor is everyone else has options if all things are equal in ST. He can't afford a bad ST.

Cody Reed has 2 option years remaining which doesn't mean much if he never improves his command. But the Reds have time to decide what they want to do with him if they so choose. Jackson Stephens has 2 years also.

Stephenson, Romano, and Rookie Davis have 1 option year remaining. So there should be a sense of urgency to get them into productive MLB roles before they enter the Garrett Zone.

Mahle and Mella have 3 years. I think Mahle will start in AAA based on that. Mella may start in AA, but I think his future is in the bullpen.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garrett will be penciled in as a starter if he shows anything at all in camp.
He's decent trade fodder so all he really needs to show is that he's "almost good enough" to make the Reds.
A lefty with not much mileage on his arm, the Reds can flip that.
I don't think Cody Reed will ever get it, sadly.
Yeah, Mahle in Louisville till June.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iglesias, Peralta, and Jarred Hughes are concensus favorites to anchor the bullpen if there is such a thing.

Lorenzen is probably the next guy on the list if he's passed over for the rotation. He was pretty inconsistent the 2nd half to the tune of a 6.32 ERA. He was much better the 1st half and pitched like Blake Wood the 2nd half. The bullpen could really use the 1st half version.

A few roster holdovers got a look or two last season. Ariel Hernandez has great stuff, but struggles to hit the broad side of a barn. Austin Brice and Kevin Shackleford didn't distinguish themselves either. They may very well be next on the waiver wire if upgrades are acquired.

A guy that had an injury setback in 2016 and rebounded nicely last season is Zack Weiss. I give him an outside chance to make the club. He was expected to make his MLB debut in 2016 before the ST injury set him back.

Then there's the unnamed two SP being converted to relievers. I'm guessing Amir Garrett and Rookie Davis, but could be any two of 4-5 pitchers that won't be in the big league rotation.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere back there is a guy named Jon Moscot.
I think Shackleford might make the club, at least initially.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Moscot
Don't hear his name anymore. He's still in the Reds system rehabbing somewhere. Had the ill fated run down injury ending his rookie season. Then blew out his elbow and had TJ surgery the next season.