• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies have plenty of money, but I'm sure they have a plan.

I would think a lot of teams feel they are a couple players away from contending. With the trend of the current market being affordable for more teams there are probably more teams looking for an opportunity to be discount buyers.

I think the Reds have already benefitted from a slow markey by grabbing a couple quality relievers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign another one.

There's a lot of unsigned guys out there. This is setting up to have more players signing minor league deals with ST invites. I like the idea of guys competing for a job rather than quaranteeing them a payday without knowing what they still have in the tank.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a half-dozen or so starting pitchers on the available list but I don't think very many of them answer the Reds rotation needs unless they plan another debacle like signing Bronson Arroyo and convincing the dipshits at Red Reporter that the guy is "eating innings" until the rookies are ready.

The one guy I'd target is Lance Lynn. I think he can still get people out and knows the NL-C.
Andrew Cashner might be too expensive.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both of them. But I don't think the Reds are looking to sign either, but both could help any team that is not looking for an ace. I think the Reds could be a player for whomever doesn't have a seat when the music stops playing.

I like the young SP already in our system. I think Dick Williams does too.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Hernandez and Hughes in the mix, does that shove Lorenzen into the rotation conversation?
If so, and assuming that's a workable goal, does that mean the Reds can flip somebody?
Still needing a lefty, assuming Finny can pitch, does Amir Garrett look like trade meat?
What the hell did they want with Vance Worley?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comment from Williams suggests some things:

Williams expects to make more moves and said there is room in the budget. But with a full roster, any signing would likely be a Minor League deal.

"We do have some areas we want to address," Williams said. "We want to make sure we've got enough depth on the bench, and specifically, we want to make sure the [backup] shortstop position is covered. So you could see some deals there."

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lorenzen keeps being mentioned as a rotation candidate with the disclaimer his role will be based on what's best for the team. I interpret that to mean he's an option if plan A doesn't work out.

Unless I missed something Garrett is out of options. If that's the case he's not a prospect or ML known commodity. I guess the question is how much do the Reds believe in him?

With as many unanswered questions surrounding the rotation I don't see the Reds trading any pitchers on the 40 man roster unless it's a deal too good to pass up.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a veteran signed to a minor league deal to compete for the backup SS role.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most predictions seem to have Frazier signing with one of the NY teams. I don't know how many teams have interest coming off his 2017 performance. He may be waiting for a deal that isn't coming.

I think Eduardo Nunez could be a nice pickup for some team. Hard to tell at this point what it takes to sign these guys. It appears it's going to be less than the players thought it was when they filed for free agency.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most predictions seem to have Frazier signing with one of the NY teams. I don't know how many teams have interest coming off his 2017 performance. He may be waiting for a deal that isn't coming.

I think Eduardo Nunez could be a nice pickup for some team. Hard to tell at this point what it takes to sign these guys. It appears it's going to be less than the players thought it was when they filed for free agency.
If the Reds stay true to form, it's a Latin speaking guy who plays marginally good middle infield, hits .215 and has been with 11 franchises.
Was joking about Frazier. He would not agree to playing support, especially at middle infield. He'll get a contract.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed as much concerning Frazier.

Todd will get a MLB contract offer, but I'm not sure how much he'll get. Hitting .220 with power the last two years has put him in the Mark Reynolds zone. Reynolds has had some renewed success in Colorado, but doesn't everyone. I could see the Rockies having interest in Frazier for the right price.

I'm not completely sold on Jose Peraza as an everyday Major League SS. I think he may improve, but if not he should abe to carve out a descent UT guy career.

The Reds have invested a lot in Cuban middle IF the last couple years. None are currently MLB ready, but I suspect we'll see one of them within the next couple years.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of unsigned former Reds. Brandon Phillips is still available. I don't see any scenario where he gets a chance to call Bob Castellini a liar again.

I did see where Scooter has changed to #3. Brandon Phillips had whined in the press about someone else wearing his number. I think the change has more to do with #3 being Scooters favorite jersey number than caring what BP thought.

The mere fact BP took offense to the Reds assigning his number indicatest he believes his number should be retired. BP was a good player and a fan favorite, but I don't think a guy with a career 30 WAR deserves to have his number retired. Any thoughts?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see him in the Reds H of F because of the impact he had on the fan base for 10 years.
But if he ends up in the Reds Hall of Very Good, that's probably the result of his attitude toward the end.
I don't think they ought to hang up his number.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta think the Reds may not need to find new depth on the infield.
I forgot they had signed Phil Gosselin in December.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's only the second time we've mentioned his name since he signed Jan. 3rd. I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound like we're impressed by the signing.

Gosselin had a down year last season, but has been better before that. Not really a SS, but he has played there a little. I'm sure he'll get a look.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's only the second time we've mentioned his name since he signed Jan. 3rd. I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound like we're impressed by the signing.

Gosselin had a down year last season, but has been better before that. Not really a SS, but he has played there a little. I'm sure he'll get a look.
Well, gotta have somebody who represents Holtmyhand, Hanrahan or Kivlihan or Genghis Khan.

The aforeascribed Latin speaking utility infielder is yet to be defined.

I don't know if Gooselehan is bad at SS or whether he just never had an opportunity to play there. I'd assume he could cover the position once a week.

If anyone can, it's Hanrahan.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the 40 man roster.
Alex Blandino might get a look. The knock against him would be the Reds like veterans with experience. I haven't seen where that has payed off in recent years, unless the experience the Reds are looking for is at not playing very well.

Dilson Herrera has let it be known that he only plays 2nd. Sounds like an unwillingness to learn a new position with a strong preference to be DFA'd at the end of ST.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the 40 man roster.
Alex Blandino might get a look. The knock against him would be the Reds like veterans with experience. I haven't seen where that has payed off in recent years, unless the experience the Reds are looking for is at not playing very well.

Dilson Herrera has let it be known that he only plays 2nd. Sounds like an unwillingness to learn a new position with a strong preference to be DFA'd at the end of ST.
I think the Reds would have cut a deal to trade Scooter had they believed Dilson was going to help them. So yeah, DFA should be in that deal soon unless they can flip him for a couple of mid-level minor league lefthanders. I think Blandino will see some time with the Reds this year because ... well, injuries.
So as it stands, corner to corner, all that really remains to be seen is that 5th infielder.
Blandino or Goose. I'd go with Goose because he has MLB time, which sort of matters.
Still plenty of time to shift people around. There's a lot of mediocrity on the FA list now ... you know, the guys we have grown to admire in Cincy.
I don't think this team is going to be terrible but I also still see 4th place in the NL-C. What changes is that being in 4th place doesn't mean being 24 games out of 1st place. Playing .500 inside the division is probaby do-able. The interleague games are the killers, and geez, can we beat the Mets twice in one year? Or the Dodgers, maybe once?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Gosselin has an awful ST I'd say he's the frontrunner for the UT job. But I'll be disappointed if a better option doesn't come along before OD. Nothing against Phil Gosselin, but he has no power or speed and isn't a great defender.

Why the Reds can't beat the Mets? It's one of those questions that doesn't have a logical answer. It's equally as baffling as why Eric Thames looked like Babe Ruth against the Reds and hit like Ruth Lyons against other teams.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams has suggested they are looking for a utility guy so Goose may end up on the Ryan Raburn train in April.
Dunno, maybe we should just assume Peraza can play there 150 games a year. If he has an OBP of .310, he probably will get that many games.

I think Thames caught the league looking the other way. Just so happened, the Reds were the first team to deal with him. Had anybody else been their opponent for those game, Thames probably would have had similar success, alleging they had similarly bad pitching. (iS THAT POSSIBLE?)

I just noticed Kyle Crockett is back with the team. Strange set of events, that. He may end up in the mix.