• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oakland Raiders Ongoing Thread

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders coach Jon Gruden needed less than two months to see what he needed to see from Josh Johnson.

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, the Raiders have released the journeyman quarterback, who was signed in March.

Johnson was chosen by Gruden in the fifth round of the 2008, Gruden’s last season in Tampa Bay.

Johnson hasn’t actually played in a game since 2014.

In between his time with Gruden with the Bucs and Raiders, he spent time with the (deep breath) 49ers, Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL, Browns, Bengals, 49ers again, Bengals again, Jets, Colts, Bills, Ravens, Giants, and Texans.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Jon Gruden emerged as the favorite to return to Oakland as coach of the Raiders, a clear concern arose: Will Derek Carr be able to coexist with Chucky?

So far, they aren’t at each other’s throats.

Albert Breer of SI.com reports that Carr has “identified with Gruden’s passion for football,” and Carr is (so far) “enthusiastic about the pushing and prodding he’s gotten from his new coaches.” Of course, it’s one thing for Carr to be pushed and prodded when pressure is low. When the practices become games and when the games begin to count, the pushing could be shoving and the prodding could be sufficiently strong to get a herd of cattle to sprint from Oakland to Las Vegas.

Gruden nevertheless seems to be keenly aware of the practical limits of aggressive coaching, realizing that his style needs to be adapted to the personalities of the players who are being coached. If there’s a concern that Carr could crumble from the kind of barrages Chris Simms routinely faced from Gruden in Tampa, then Gruden will try another way.

Ultimately, Gruden wants to win. And he knows that, in order to win, he needs the best out of his quarterback. If Gruden’s style doesn’t draw that out, it’s on Gruden to come up with a better way.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack has not been taking part in the team’s voluntary work all offseason and nothing changed with the start of OTAs on Tuesday.

Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journalpasses along word that the Raiders took the field to kick off this phase of their offseason work withoutMack in attendance. There had been no sign that Mack was planning to show for the OTAs.

There’s also been no word of progress toward the new contract that Mack is looking for as he enters the final year of his rookie deal. Word in April was that Mack is looking for some $65 million in guarantees in a new deal and General Manager Reggie McKenzie said all conversations about a deal have been positive, but that hasn’t been enough to push the two sides to an agreement.

The Raiders will hold their only mandatory offseason practices at minicamp next month. That and the start of training camp are shaping up as possible inflection points in Mack’s push for a new contract before the start of the 2018 season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long Martavis...

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be soooooooooooo pissed if we end up trading Mack.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack to the Bears.....we got a good return.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate it but oh well....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders coach Jon Gruden needed less than two months to see what he needed to see from Josh Johnson.

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, the Raiders have released the journeyman quarterback, who was signed in March.

Johnson was chosen by Gruden in the fifth round of the 2008, Gruden’s last season in Tampa Bay.

Johnson hasn’t actually played in a game since 2014.

In between his time with Gruden with the Bucs and Raiders, he spent time with the (deep breath) 49ers, Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL, Browns, Bengals, 49ers again, Bengals again, Jets, Colts, Bills, Ravens, Giants, and Texans.
Go to the CFL or retire......

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ, you must be a bit stunned by the Mack trade but like you stated, you got two number ones in return and ya gave up a thrid and a fifth I believe in the same trade. Ya get the fifth back from the Steelers for WR Switzer and a sixth rounder.

Looks like Gruden is moving players who just show-up for a paycheck or hold the team hostage. He is also getting his type of players in as well. It'll take Gruden a year or two but you'll be better off in the long run, I believe.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another ex-Raider cut on Saturday by Gruden signs with Seattle. Jordon Simmons is the player this time.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland offered 20 mill.....Mack wanted 23.5 mill. He has nobody to blame but himself that he got traded.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ, you must be a bit stunned by the Mack trade but like you stated, you got two number ones in return and ya gave up a thrid and a fifth I believe in the same trade. Ya get the fifth back from the Steelers for WR Switzer and a sixth rounder.

Looks like Gruden is moving players who just show-up for a paycheck or hold the team hostage. He is also getting his type of players in as well. It'll take Gruden a year or two but you'll be better off in the long run, I believe.
I hope so.

Happy we got AJ McCarron for a 5th rounder. Good backup and insurance in case Carr gets hurt. Manuel and Cook are 3rd QB's, at best.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland offered 20 mill.....Mack wanted 23.5 mill. He has nobody to blame but himself that he got traded.

Isn't that how negotiations start though? A team says one thing and the player says another then they go back and forth until they can arrive at a number both are comfortable with? The fact that the Raiders just stopped negotiating with him months ago to me shows the Raiders have nobody to blame but themselves. Throw in then once the Donald deal happened the Raiders had to know Mack isn't going to take less than what Donald just got.

To me this is about Gruden not understanding how the NFL functions in today's world with negotiations. His comments today about Mack not wanting to be in Oakland just sound ridiculous. You don't let talent like Mack get out the door and you don't spend months not talking to them expecting them to feel like they are wanted.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that how negotiations start though?
That is sort of the way I understood it. The more details that sneak out and platitudes I hear the more this just p!sses me off.

To me this is about Gruden not understanding how the NFL functions in today's world with negotiations.
I am not sure I agree with that - I think the Raiders screwed this up when the re-signed Carr first (and over paid imho). That was pre-Gruden and they were already nudging up against a corner. He wanted to rebuild and there were going to be some cap problems. I think he had a 'my way or the highway' sort of attitude and Mack took the highway.. sort of arrogant - he might be drinking too much of his own koolaid for my liking.

His comments today about Mack not wanting to be in Oakland just sound ridiculous. You don't let talent like Mack get out the door and you don't spend months not talking to them expecting them to feel like they are wanted.
Platitudes and empty pockets...

They are clearly focused on Gruden's next 10 years IN Vegas and Oakland is a sparrow fart in the wind at this point. They'll shower us with BS and roll out the Allumni (of which you have to nearly go back 20 years to find someone relevant) to get everyone to buy a ticket but its shameful exploitation. I just don't see how you equate this move as "we are trying to win in Oakland before we leave." The math doesn't add up.

What also doesn't make sense to me is if you were going to rebuild a team you would ideally want a franchise QB and elite talent on the defensive side of the ball... and if you don't have to bail them out of jail, suspensions, or video evidence of pistol-whipping their GF then that is a bonus. So.... yeah, you had that. Exactly what do you think is on the wheel of fortune that puts you in a better position?

Time will tell eventually, and I am sure they will have some success down the road - but I am not flying to Vegas to watch them and I won't pay for NFL ticket just so I get to see their home games on TV.