• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nuraman's Favorite Time of Year

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Local Radio Play by Play Sports Nerd:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You bumped this thread on the same date as the 2015 announcement.

This is like when I bumped the Happy Mothers Day thread on the same day, 2 consecutive years.

I'm still waiting for what your heartfelt, genuine belated birthday wishes are for the greatest, Karl Malone.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bumped this thread on the same date as the 2015 announcement.

This is like when I bumped the Happy Mothers Day thread on the same day, 2 consecutive years.

I'm still waiting for what your heartfelt, genuine belated birthday wishes are for the greatest, Karl Malone.

Well, he is the best Karl Malone, but he's only the second best Jazz Man.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he is the best Karl Malone, but he's only the second best Jazz Man.

Nope, that's not a good birthday wish.

Please try again.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't many cross-conference national TV games. The last one is January 01 against Toronto.

That's such a terrible date. At least it's a late afternoon game, so hopefully I'll have enough energy to watch.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both games against Boston will be done by Nov. 17th. Both will be on national TV.

No national TV game scheduled in April. But hopefully NBA TV or ESPN add some, so I can watch.

(Assuming I don't get League Pass, which I haven't since the end of 2016).

You should start a gofundme account to get League Pass. I bet all your friends on message boards could chip in. Your insight would pay for it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, fine.

Best Case Scenario 10–0.
Worst Case Scenario 0-10.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should start a gofundme account to get League Pass. I bet all your friends on message boards could chip in. Your insight would pay for it.

* Most of my friends aren't into sports. Or at least not the same ones. Or not a daily follower of the league(s).

* Two factors have contributed to me dropping league pass. I had it from 2008 - 2016.

A. The pricing model changed.

From 2008-2010, I got League Pass Broadband, which was cheaper than full league pass (the TV version) and included all 30 teams. I did Early Bird pricing both times.

From 2010-2011, they reduced LP Broadband to 7 teams of your choice. That's was ok. They also renamed it to LP Broadband Choice.

From 2012-2015, they reduced LP Broadband Choice from 7 teams to 5 teams. That's still ok.

In 2015-2016, they dropped LP Broadband Choice all together. Now, if you got it, you had to get all 30 teams, and it was the same cost as the TV version too. They may have offered a 1 team Broadband option, but I didn't want that.

B. The full league pass (TV version) on Comcast still only includes 1 channel in HD. 9 channels in SD.

There's been a thread on the Comcast forums, since 2011, about how League Pass still isn't in HD. Every year people bump that thread at the beginning of the season, and say how it's year XXXX, but it's still not in HD.

Re: NBA League Pass in HD 2015-2016 season? - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 2588534

The top of that thread only has posts from 2015, but I remember seeing it in 2011. A user even references how the thread started in 2011.

MLB Extra innings is similar. You get 14 channels in SD, 2 in HD.

Why pay $180 - $200 pre-tax for 90s SD quality? Actually, SD on a digital TV is worse than SD on an analog TV. I remember how SD looked on analog TVs, and it was better than on digital TVs.

Ok, I see now that Comcast had a trial for League Pass in HD:

NBA League Pass HD Beta Trial (X1) - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 2976852

But it's not LP Channels. You have to go through their on-demand menu, and then you can find games streamed.

You can't record the games.

That's not real League Pass.

If you can't DVR the games, then it's not real league pass.

Now, buying the TV version of league pass does include LP Broadband. And the quality of those games is better than SD.

But it's also not HD.

A reddit user guesses it's 540 (I don't think there is a 540, so maybe the user means 480 x 576).

Even though I have my TV hooked up to my PC, it's annoying to have to switch inputs and switch the audio output of my PC every time.

And, LP Broadband is famous for having buffering issues. There were some days where I'd have to close the browser and restart it 5 - 8 times a game.

I've heard LP Broadband is better on devices like a Roku, but I don't have that. And I shouldn't have to get a separate device, when the PC should be good enough.

So, Comcast doesn't provide games in HD, and their LP Broadband has historically had buffering issues.

(I just got a new router last month, so maybe that will help.)

Why should I buy a product that isn't up to par with today's technology? They should have had HD in 2008, when analog broadcasts became obsolete.

Not only should there be HD broadcasts, but they should start to do games in 4K too, soon.

And it's also annoying how the price doesn't include tax.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* Most of my friends aren't into sports. Or at least not the same ones. Or not a daily follower of the league(s).

* Two factors have contributed to me dropping league pass. I had it from 2008 - 2016.

A. The pricing model changed.

From 2008-2010, I got League Pass Broadband, which was cheaper than full league pass (the TV version) and included all 30 teams. I did Early Bird pricing both times.

From 2010-2011, they reduced LP Broadband to 7 teams of your choice. That's was ok. They also renamed it to LP Broadband Choice.

From 2012-2015, they reduced LP Broadband Choice from 7 teams to 5 teams. That's still ok.

In 2015-2016, they dropped LP Broadband Choice all together. Now, if you got it, you had to get all 30 teams, and it was the same cost as the TV version too. They may have offered a 1 team Broadband option, but I didn't want that.

B. The full league pass (TV version) on Comcast still only includes 1 channel in HD. 9 channels in SD.

There's been a thread on the Comcast forums, since 2011, about how League Pass still isn't in HD. Every year people bump that thread at the beginning of the season, and say how it's year XXXX, but it's still not in HD.

Re: NBA League Pass in HD 2015-2016 season? - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 2588534

The top of that thread only has posts from 2015, but I remember seeing it in 2011. A user even references how the thread started in 2011.

MLB Extra innings is similar. You get 14 channels in SD, 2 in HD.

Why pay $180 - $200 pre-tax for 90s SD quality? Actually, SD on a digital TV is worse than SD on an analog TV. I remember how SD looked on analog TVs, and it was better than on digital TVs.

Ok, I see now that Comcast had a trial for League Pass in HD:

NBA League Pass HD Beta Trial (X1) - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 2976852

But it's not LP Channels. You have to go through their on-demand menu, and then you can find games streamed.

You can't record the games.

That's not real League Pass.

If you can't DVR the games, then it's not real league pass.

Now, buying the TV version of league pass does include LP Broadband. And the quality of those games is better than SD.

But it's also not HD.

A reddit user guesses it's 540 (I don't think there is a 540, so maybe the user means 480 x 576).

Even though I have my TV hooked up to my PC, it's annoying to have to switch inputs and switch the audio output of my PC every time.

And, LP Broadband is famous for having buffering issues. There were some days where I'd have to close the browser and restart it 5 - 8 times a game.

I've heard LP Broadband is better on devices like a Roku, but I don't have that. And I shouldn't have to get a separate device, when the PC should be good enough.

So, Comcast doesn't provide games in HD, and their LP Broadband has historically had buffering issues.

(I just got a new router last month, so maybe that will help.)

Why should I buy a product that isn't up to par with today's technology? They should have had HD in 2008, when analog broadcasts became obsolete.

Not only should there be HD broadcasts, but they should start to do games in 4K too, soon.

And it's also annoying how the price doesn't include tax.

How much is the option that you had to choose one? Including tax (estimate).

Second, how much would you consider to be a fair price given the limitations it has? Including tax.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much is the option that you had to choose one? Including tax (estimate).

Second, how much would you consider to be a fair price given the limitations it has? Including tax.

I'm not going to include tax, since it varies by every county.

Team Pass was $119.99 pre-tax.

NBA League Pass Debuts for 2017-18 Season

What would I consider a fair price for full league pass that still only has 10 SD, 1 HD channels?

Or use their HD Beta, which was basically on-demand streaming, with no ability to navigate in time? That's kind of important. There's many times where I want to rewind a play to see what happened. Or I want to pause. I basically give this feature a 1 / 10, because it's not usable in real world scenarios, unless you are there from start to finish for the games.

I'll say $120. Given that 9 out of 10 games that are not nationally broadcast would be in SD, I'd say a 60% discount from the full $200 is fair. SD is 16.667% of the pixels of full HD.

(I could also watch in HD if NBA TV picked up the game, but that's because I have a separate sports package with NBA TV, Tennis Channel, MLB Network, etc.)

I'm also reading on the forums how for MLB, people took the day off work for opening day to watch their teams. People going to Opening Day, or taking the day off work, is more of a tradition with the MLB, and I feel bad for all of those people that did that, even tried to use the on-demand streaming Beta, only to find that it didn't work.

NBA games are on in the evening, so there's less of a chance for people to take time off work, unless it was an East Coast matchup for a West coast team. Or if they usually worked evenings.