• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that Nike is no longer selling balls, what should I get?

Which Balls To Use

• Titelist

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Taylor Made

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Calloway

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other, Please State

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have fun. I know a steady diet of dbl bogey golf can take the fun out of it for any level of player. Mix in a few pars here and there with bogey golf, an occasional dbl and you can have a good time and feel pretty good about being out there.

Short game can make up for a lot of bad golf shots...especially those that don't find a hazard or OB. My goal from the tee, get the ball around the green in regulation...if it's on, that's great, if not I should get a decent par putt.

I have the case of the "yips" on my short game.. Usually I shank the Sh*t out of it

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the cut off for going to an extra stiff shaft is 105 so that isn't exactly a slow swing.

Yeah...I can poke out there okay most of the time.

My iron shafts are KBS Tour S flex and driver is Grafalloy blue 65 S flex...nothing is extra stiff...I actually like the regular flex in my 2 hybrid

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the case of the "yips" on my short game.. Usually I shank the Sh*t out of it

Oh...been there...us taller guys, easy to come out of the shot just a tad...ball squirts off right like a shank...probably have bladed a few across the green I would imagine too...gotta stay in your posture thru the shot...watching the club contact the ball is how I was taught to stay down on it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...been there...us taller guys, easy to come out of the shot just a tad...ball squirts off right like a shank...probably have bladed a few across the green I would imagine too...gotta stay in your posture thru the shot...watching the club contact the ball is how I was taught to stay down on it.

I do all those things you mention (well not do I mean)... My short shots I'm so not able to figure out how much to swing and whatnot... But most of the time I do pick up my head and miss the shots

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do all those things you mention (well not do I mean)... My short shots I'm so not able to figure out how much to swing and whatnot... But most of the time I do pick up my head and miss the shots

In a word, practice.

I started this crazy game with lessons from the beginning...a 10 lesson pkg my wife bought me for father's day.

The 1st two lessons, I never hit a full swing shot. He took a putter, 56 deg wedge, a PW, and a 6i out of the bag and said that's all I would need for the 1st two lessons.

Started maybe a 3 or 4' off the green and hit bump and run shots with the 6i and we moved back 5 yds off, 10 yds off back to 30 yds off. His whole idea was to get you to know what a 5 yd chip/pitch, 10 yd, etc feels like...45 mins of my hr was spent hitting these little shots, and the last 15 mins was putting.

Chipping, pitching and putting are the easiest parts of the game to learn and be able to repeat under pressure of a real round...much harder to repeat a full swing over and over like the tour pros.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I can poke out there okay most of the time.

My iron shafts are KBS Tour S flex and driver is Grafalloy blue 65 S flex...nothing is extra stiff...I actually like the regular flex in my 2 hybrid
I broke my driver shaft. I ordered a replacement and accidentally got the X instead of the S. My swing at Scheels was measuring 108-109 with the new drivers so I figured I would give it a whirl trying to fix the old one with the X since the new ones weren't giving me any extra distance. Maybe it'll work for me. Maybe it won't.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a word, practice.

I started this crazy game with lessons from the beginning...a 10 lesson pkg my wife bought me for father's day.

The 1st two lessons, I never hit a full swing shot. He took a putter, 56 deg wedge, a PW, and a 6i out of the bag and said that's all I would need for the 1st two lessons.

Started maybe a 3 or 4' off the green and hit bump and run shots with the 6i and we moved back 5 yds off, 10 yds off back to 30 yds off. His whole idea was to get you to know what a 5 yd chip/pitch, 10 yd, etc feels like...45 mins of my hr was spent hitting these little shots, and the last 15 mins was putting.

Chipping, pitching and putting are the easiest parts of the game to learn and be able to repeat under pressure of a real round...much harder to repeat a full swing over and over like the tour pros.

Yeah, Practice would help, just can't do it... Don't have the time sadly. I had a lesson a few times but it totally screwed up my game because it got into my head too much. I was trying to be too perfect and do everything the pro told me to try. Granted I immediately went out onto the course right after and never could really go on the range to practice.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Practice would help, just can't do it... Don't have the time sadly. I had a lesson a few times but it totally screwed up my game because it got into my head too much. I was trying to be too perfect and do everything the pro told me to try. Granted I immediately went out onto the course right after and never could really go on the range to practice.

I hear you...Just enjoy your time on the golf course...to be honest, playing 4 or 5 times a yr playing golf is practically an event for you. I wouldn't bother to keep score...My old golf buddy we've played 100s of rounds together over the yrs had some life events that took him off the course...now he plays like 6 times a year. Mentally he's still grinding out there like he's playing every week...torture.

When I went back to a pro about 7-8 yrs to help me fix my hook...he asked how often I play/practice, etc...I said I play once a week and practice maybe 2 twice a week.

He said...the classic player that plays just enough to have expectations, but not enough to realize them...I was kind of deflated by that comment, but his point was don't beat yourself up when things go sideways. He has been right with his statement.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's really easy to get too many things going through your head at once when trying to hit a ball. Towards the end of one season a few years ago, I was totally turned around with what I was trying to do with my swing. No matter what I did, I just couldn't get it right. Ended up having to step away from the game for a while in order to reset all my bad habits.

Right now, things feel good and I am worried about what would happen if I went and got lessons from a pro. I think it would help, but I am still worried about it putting too much stuff in my head at once.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's really easy to get too many things going through your head at once when trying to hit a ball. Towards the end of one season a few years ago, I was totally turned around with what I was trying to do with my swing. No matter what I did, I just couldn't get it right. Ended up having to step away from the game for a while in order to reset all my bad habits.

Right now, things feel good and I am worried about what would happen if I went and got lessons from a pro. I think it would help, but I am still worried about it putting too much stuff in my head at once.
Guy on our scramble team Sunday couldn't find his swing, hit little worm-burners all day long. Said he'd been playing well this spring. You could smell the frustration on him. I stayed kept my distance so as not to catch what he had.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Things feel good...don't go see a pro.

Lessons...if you've been playing a long time and you have decent fundamentals, a lesson should not involve wholesale changes, but you might be best advised not to play until you have at least put in a few buckets of balls with this change so you're not thinking too much.

I was desperate...my nice draw had turned into a terrible hook. I thought I had tried everything and the one thing I had not even thought about...grip. Somehow I had strengthened my grip and never noticed it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things feel good...don't go see a pro.

Lessons...if you've been playing a long time and you have decent fundamentals, a lesson should not involve wholesale changes, but you might be best advised not to play until you have at least put in a few buckets of balls with this change so you're not thinking too much.

I was desperate...my nice draw had turned into a terrible hook. I thought I had tried everything and the one thing I had not even thought about...grip. Somehow I had strengthened my grip and never noticed it.
this is why the Ben Hogan book is helping me so much. I had moved so far away from the fundamentals that worked that I needed to hit the reset button. The book is helping with that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why the Ben Hogan book is helping me so much. I had moved so far away from the fundamentals that worked that I needed to hit the reset button. The book is helping with that.

By many accounts, the best ball striker to ever play.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By many accounts, the best ball striker to ever play.
I read The Match a couple years ago and loved it. I have never read a golf book before, but this one was damn good and painted a really good picture of Hogan and the other players. I highly recommend it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

exactly. Hell in between each shot! I hit a perfect drive sometimes, then totally f up the approach (usually goes OB) and then there goes my game. Most of the time I am not even thinking about anything, including my game when i swing and I still screw it up

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. Hell in between each shot! I hit a perfect drive sometimes, then totally f up the approach (usually goes OB) and then there goes my game. Most of the time I am not even thinking about anything, including my game when i swing and I still screw it up
there are a couple times where I have to back off the ball because my head is totally somewhere else, like Crash Davis in Bull Durham. GET THE BROAD OUT OF YOUR HEAD!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are a couple times where I have to back off the ball because my head is totally somewhere else, like Crash Davis in Bull Durham. GET THE BROAD OUT OF YOUR HEAD!

I've tried that too but I still mess it up. That's golf for you. You are off even by a millisecond with your arms for example and bye bye quality shot

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried that too but I still mess it up. That's golf for you. You are off even by a millisecond with your arms for example and bye bye quality shot
fucking golf...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fucking golf...

WCngLr2aSzWFx9mBvRJl_Golf%20Water%20Fall.gif