• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like you, believe elite means top 3-4, so no they weren't.
Ok then. That is your opinion. However, you do realize that looking at a group of 10 coaches and believing 3-4 of them are elite doesn't mean every single list of 10 things ever only means 3-4 are elite, right?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok then. That is your opinion. However, you do realize that looking at a group of 10 coaches and believing 3-4 of them are elite doesn't mean every single list of 10 things ever only means 3-4 are elite, right?
Exactly. You have to first find where Ohio State falls on said list and that is where we determine what is and is not elite.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lmao. Stop with your lame attempt at spinning. There is the exact same number of teams as there are coaches in the FBS.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. Stop with your lame attempt at spinning. There is the exact same number of teams as there are coaches in the FBS.
ATF: I'd say there are 3-4 elite coaches in the NCAA right now.

eric: THAT MEANS ONLY 3-4 TEAM CAN BE ELITE ON ANY GIVEN SEASON NO MATTER WHAT THEN.

So tell me then - do you think Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart are better coaches than Urban Meyer?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. You have to first find where Ohio State falls on said list and that is where we determine what is and is not elite.
Nope. I mean, if you want to say Ohio State and Urban Meyer aren't elite, go ahead. That's the road you're trying to go down.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I mean, if you want to say Ohio State and Urban Meyer aren't elite, go ahead. That's the road you're trying to go down.
Ohio State was not elite last year. Elite teams do not find themselves down by two scores continuously.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF: I'd say there are 3-4 elite coaches in the NCAA right now.

eric: THAT MEANS ONLY 3-4 TEAM CAN BE ELITE ON ANY GIVEN SEASON NO MATTER WHAT THEN.

So tell me then - do you think Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart are better coaches than Urban Meyer?

Lmao. This is some epic backpedaling. I seriously think you're the only one that has ever facepalmed me. If you think a coach who's top 3-4 is considered elite and there are 129 coaches, I don't understand how you can consider, when having the same sample size, a different number to be elite...oh wait yes I do, Ohio State finished 5th. Lmao.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF: There's 129 FBS coaches, if you're in the top 3-4 you're elite.

ATF: There were 129 teams in college football in 2017, but you don't have to be top 3-4 to be considered elite. Lmao.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. This is some epic backpedaling. I seriously think you're the only one that has ever facepalmed me. If you think a coach who's top 3-4 is considered elite and there are 129 coaches, I don't understand how you can consider, when having the same sample size, a different number to be elite...oh wait yes I do, Ohio State finished 5th. Lmao.
Uh huh. Alright, eric, time for me to educate you on how sports work again. This should be a weekly segment.

Let's look at recruiting rankings. You know what those are, right? 5* recruits are considered to be "elite" recruits. In 2018, there were 29 recruits that ranked 5*. In 2017, there were 33. Why is that? Because "elite" doesn't just mean exactly the same slot, it's a player-by-player characteristic. Like this, there can be fewer or more elite teams on a season-by-season basis. For example, in 2007, I would argue there wasn't a single truly elite team in the country. However, we've had years where there have been quite a few.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State was not elite last year. Elite teams do not find themselves down by two scores continuously.
con·tin·u·ous·ly
kənˈtinyo͝oəslē/
adverb
  1. without interruption or gaps.
    "these images loop continuously"
    • repeatedly without exceptions or reversals.
      "their performance has continuously improved

I don't think you know what that word means at all.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Riley shows signs of regression in 4 years after these recruits cycle out, he'll drop in the rankings. He looked every bit like an elite coach last year, just as Shaw did at first when Harbaugh left, so he gets the benefit of the doubt just as Shaw did. However, Shaw went from three straight 11+ win seasons to now having just 1 in the last 4 years. I don't know how that's not showing signs of regression.

According to you ,Harbaugh left such a tradition of winning (with one ten win or more season) ,such a culture of winning that Shaw seven years later still owes any success to Harbaugh to the point where when Shaw signs a *5 player it's because Harbaugh had one great year seven seasons ago. Never mind that in five seasons Harbaugh never signed one.lol
Well then if you transfer that thinking to Oklahoma and Riley then no. Not four years ,not ten years not even 15 years would qualify Riley to get any credit for anything good at Oklahoma because not only was the team already great before he took over since they had nine ten win or more seasons in the past eleven .The tradition of Oklahoma football has been built and it qualifies as a historic football program. Kids grow up wanting to play for Oklahoma. I live in Cali. No one says when they grow up they want to play football at Stanford. It;s literally a surprise when someone can qualify to get in. Go look at the Stanford recruiting class. Three players from Cali.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh huh. Alright, eric, time for me to educate you on how sports work again. This should be a weekly segment.

Let's look at recruiting rankings. You know what those are, right? 5* recruits are considered to be "elite" recruits. In 2018, there were 29 recruits that ranked 5*. In 2017, there were 33. Why is that? Because "elite" doesn't just mean exactly the same slot, it's a player-by-player characteristic. Like this, there can be fewer or more elite teams on a season-by-season basis. For example, in 2007, I would argue there wasn't a single truly elite team in the country. However, we've had years where there have been quite a few.

Thanks for the education, hypocrite.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is better than Shaw but I dont think either are elite. Harbaugh gets a lot of hype right away but it does after 2 or 3 years. He didnt do much at Stanford until Luck go there. He was crashing at SF when he got out. He would need to sustain a program to even be included in my top 10. Or at least win a championship.

I dont think tOSU has been elite since the won the first playoffs. Something just not there with the O.

As far as coaching rankings, I would be curious to see how Saban could do at tOSU, MI or PSU. We know he is good/great but he is also in the most fertile area for recruits. We know there is more top talent down south and out west. Ohio is good but not enough. It is obviously harder to bring that top talent out of the south or west up north. Saban still could but it would be interesting to see. Same with Dabo.

The playing field will never be equal, demographics shift. Would be interesting to see all on equal footing to really compare.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to you ,Harbaugh left such a tradition of winning (with one ten win or more season) ,such a culture of winning that Shaw seven years later still owes any success to Harbaugh to the point where when Shaw signs a *5 player it's because Harbaugh had one great year seven seasons ago. Never mind that in five seasons Harbaugh never signed one.lol
Well then if you transfer that thinking to Oklahoma and Riley then no. Not four years ,not ten years not even 15 years would qualify Riley to get any credit for anything good at Oklahoma because not only was the team already great before he took over ,the tradition of Oklahoma football has been built and it qualifies as a historic football program.
Shaw is falling off. He won 83% of his games in his first three years and 71% in his last 4. He went from three straight seasons winning 11+ games in his first 3 years playing with mostly Harbaugh's to doing that once in four years almost entirely without them.

Honestly, I struggled with the #10 spot. I put Riley there because I truly think he's going to be an amazing coach. He's a smart guy who looks like he's going to be a pretty frequent visitor to the playoffs. I might be wrong, who knows. All I know is, right now, if you asked me to pick between him and Shaw for my team, I'm taking Riley.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on bro. I know WVU will never be OU and OU is a damn good team and great program. But even you as an OU fan have to agree that it’s a little premature to put Lincoln Riley as a top ten coach right now over someone like David Shaw who has an established identity at a non blue blood team.
What the fuck does an established identity mean when there are mediocre results at play? 73-22?

Right now the only things we have to go off of are results. Whether season 1 or season 19.

Lincoln Riley is one of the winningest active FBS coaches today, easily top 5 in that regard.

He's proven to be an elite offensive mind after losing over 75% of his offensive production and still ranking a top 3 offense.

Quantity? Quality? :think:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't help but laugh at how this statement is still being said by you even though I've never said it one single time. I've said Shaw was elite when Harbaugh's players were still there. Once his players cycled out, Shaw dropped off. It's not hard to see - winning 83% of the time his first 3 years vs. 71% of the time the last 4 years with very few or no Harbaugh recruits at all. You know how numbers work, right?

And as everyone points out, this is funny because at the same time you list Riley, a 1st year coach.

Because he beat Ohio St.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck does an established identity mean when there are mediocre results at play? 73-22?

Right now the only things we have to go off of are results. Whether season 1 or season 19.

Lincoln Riley is one of the winningest active FBS coaches today, easily top 5 in that regard.

He's proven to be an elite offensive mind after losing over 75% of his offensive production and still ranking a top 3 offense.

Quantity? Quality? :think:
nykpMf6.gif