• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not Upset

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find several things about this team to be extremely frustrating. Penalties. Lack of instinct on offense. Weird and awkward reactions to situations on the field that aren't "typical."

But we knew a downturn was coming. Personally, I think Bielimas staff knew too. The OL is one of the least talented We've ever had. Southward never did look very with it. Abby is all alone out there. And Stave still has to read that damn armpad to call plays. Third major coaching upheaval in 3 years.

The upside. Caputo and Musso DO have the instincts and they will get better. Shelton is a freshman, and as long as he stops running his mouth and just learns from every play, he could be a real good one some day. We've seen flashes of future excellence from freshman like Leon Jacobs and Corey Clement. This staff is proven. The guys are still learning the system, and the coaches are still learning about their guys.

But I really want them to establish something on offense. A system that the guys know and can execute. Tired of Stave looking at that damn wrist pad to call plays. Anytime I see that shit in college football I predict that QBs team to lose.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm apparently higher on this team than you are. Unless Northwestern takes down OSU, we'll likely be favored in every game for the rest of the year. And I think OSU at the shoe is at least fourteen points better than every team on our schedule.

I am wholehearted expecting an 10-2* season and I think we'll likely make a BCS bowl.

*And by 10-2, I mean 11-1.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go with 9-3...Bucky always loses some stupid head scratcher that makes you wonder if they spent Friday nite at a party on Mifflin, ate schrooms and are still blooming on Saturday...

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all got some clarity on a few things:

1. I hope everyone now understands why Coach Andersen wanted to center the ball at the end of the Arizona State game.

2. Dez Southward had a poor game. Granted, the touchdown at the end of the 1st half is on Peniel Jean, I believe.

3. Sojourn Shelton is our best corner, and by a mile.

4. It says a lot that Tanner McEvoy is just learning defense and he was already being asked to play some fairly significant snaps against Ohio State.

5. I'd like to apologize to Joel Stave for jumping on criticizing him. It's really hard to be a successful quarterback when he only has 1 consistent weapon.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real glass half empty look there forkem...

We knew we were gonna have to pass to have and chance and we did just that...I'm very pleased and surprised with how stave played.

Like always, we found more ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and it costed us the game. One thing is for sure, we will be hard pressed to filled Abby and Borland's shoes next year....fucking studs.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glass half empty? I just hate sloppy football. I can handle one team just being better. But Ohio State was sloppy as hell too, the Badgers just decided to equalize that.

I think these guys have a lot to learn. All I'm sayin'. They don't seem to understand their positions that well. J3an and Southward have too many mental lapses.

Also. Wisconsin has never had depth. Bielema put solid to excellent starting units together and kept them on the field. Then he and Chryst worked to control the tempo with that run game, supported by play action and efficient passing. That's UW football. I think it's dangerous to stray from that.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glass half empty? I just hate sloppy football. I can handle one team just being better. But Ohio State was sloppy as hell too, the Badgers just decided to equalize that.

I think these guys have a lot to learn. All I'm sayin'. They don't seem to understand their positions that well. J3an and Southward have too many mental lapses.

Also. Wisconsin has never had depth. Bielema put solid to excellent starting units together and kept them on the field. Then he and Chryst worked to control the tempo with that run game, supported by play action and efficient passing. That's UW football. I think it's dangerous to stray from that.

As much as I hate to say it, you should probably expect more of those mental lapses, particularly as it applies to penalties. Chryst ran an offense that was as close to mistake free as any team in football. I believe we lead the nation in fewest penalties and turnovers in 2010 and 2011. I don;t think it is as much that this team is making mistakes as it is that those teams were abnormally disciplined, even for elite teams.

The actual missed reads by the secondary should go away. The sad reality is that, for whatever reason, the old coaching staff really missed in recruiting secondary and wide receiver. It seems like a never ending storm of decently rated prospects wound up sucking, and the guys that developed (Abby, Devin Smith, Fenelus, Maragos, etc.) were some of our lowest rated guys or walk-ons. I don't think the coaching staff will miss as badly at those slots. The concern, though, is that they also won't be able to keep up the talent at O-Line, TE, RB, and LB, where our guys have always outperformed their rankings. The balance between gains and losses will ultimately decide if our program or regresses or stays hot.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan base we were very spoiled with great offensive line play. It was bound to drop off with the major changes that group has faced the last few years. You're just not going to be able to easily replace Travis Frederick, Peter Konz or Kevin Zeitler. On top of that over the last few years we lose Gabe Carimi(although he hasn't made much of his NFL career) and Ricky Wagner. By next year I do expect Dan Voltz to be an elite level interior offensive linemen. But, I'm not as concerned by the relative offensive line struggles.

The big issue is wide receiver and defensive back. Since Nick Toon and David Gilreath left at wide receiver there has been no development opposite of Jared Abbrederis. Just look at the wide out production on Saturday against Ohio State. Abby, a former walk-on, he's an elite receiver. Alex Erickson is a current walk-on. It's difficult to be a successful offense when you get minimal to 0 development of multiple wide receivers. Andy Ludwig's hands are tied as an OC because what's the point of being multiple with personnel groupings if defenses won't have to respect anything new you're doing.

Defensive backs, Dez Southward's struggles are inexcusable. He's a 5th year senior, bring a little leadership back there. As I previously stated Sojourn Shelton is our best corner, and he's nowhere near a high level yet.

I'm not too worried about not being able to recruit running backs, Thomas Hammock is still the running backs coach, Coach A kept Corey Clement on board, and they got Taiwan Deal to commit. That's not a big concern. What does concern me is wide receiver or even to a lesser extent defensive back. We're so far behind in terms of development of perimeter talent(in that no one that Bielema offered a scholly to developed), Gary Andersen has a challenge ahead of him. Abby is gone next year, he has to find guys who can play receiver. Improving overall team speed is one of Andersen's big goals, and you can see he's attacking that through recruiting. The buzzword for this football team is depth, there isn't much of it currently. Sorry this was kind of long.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the DB concerns are being overstated a bit. UW held OSU to just under 200 passing yards. Not bad, outside of the big plays they popped off here and there.

The TD before halftime was a breakdown, but really on the coaches. Absolutely no reason to only have 1 safety in on that play where they clearly wanted a deep ball. There should have been a timeout called to set up for it.

Ohio State was very well prepared for us offensively, especially the run game. It's becoming painfully obvious what UW is going to do down to down.

It's completely pathetic how bad our kicking game is. Enough said there.

The backbreakers were really the penalties on two Buckeye turnovers. Both were debatable and happened to be on huge plays. Wish UW was the team that had some of those calls swing our way for once.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what will our offensive identity be in the long run, do you think? If I'm asking, won't others? Barry wanted to go option football when he got Bollinger. Then he remembered what he actually had... A bigass pro-style OL and beast at RB. Out of all the coaches we've had, I personally think Paul Chryst understood better than anyone what Wisconsin needed to be. He's the reason Russell Wilson came here.

If Andersen wants mobile QBs, he may struggle even more to get receivers. Good luck spreading the defense out for read option when defenses can just load the box and go 1 on 1 with your receivers.

They out to watch film from 2005 on. Take Chrysts offense and throw in a bit more designed QB runs if you feel the need. But Chryst understood Wisconsin.