• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not convinced any of the QBs is worth the cost

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start Peterman.

What can go wrong?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar at 12 (or worse, trading up for Lamar) would be something I just couldn't handle. I'd still watch, I guess, but that would end my desire as a Bills fan. It's been 29 years, so I'm not denying the difficulty I would have...but that would be the final straw.

Vick went #1 overall. I'm amazed how much that style of play has fallen out of favor so quickly, largely due to the Redskins mis-management of RG3's injury in his rookie season. Lamar is the turbo version of Tyrod; better arm, faster, more elusive, etc. Whether or not the Bills are looking to continue in that direction could ease your fears altogether.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start Peterman.

What can go wrong?

With more preparation? Nothing. One horrible (record-breaking) half doesn't change what he has done in relief a few times and showed in some preseason play as well. He may never elevate above backup QB level, but you need those, too. If anything, his good relief work shows how much the Bills needed a better passer than Tyrod, but still one with some movement ability as the OL still needs work, especially in pass pro.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick went #1 overall. I'm amazed how much that style of play has fallen out of favor so quickly, largely due to the Redskins mis-management of RG3's injury in his rookie season. Lamar is the turbo version of Tyrod; better arm, faster, more elusive, etc. Whether or not the Bills are looking to continue in that direction could ease your fears altogether.

Turbo version? It wasn't Tyrod's non-turbo skills that forced him out our door. Dumping Tyrod and drafting Lamar is the biggest joke I can think of.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod to Watkins on passes over 20 (I think, maybe it was 40), was highly accurate and a deadly combo two years ago. I see nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with Tyrod's arm...other than his lack of usage with it.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that needs at other positions are more easily filled with later picks than QB is.

That said, I would really only trade up if Darnold or Rosen is available, which likely means with the Giants at #2 unless the Browns pick Allen. The others I would consider at #12 if they fell, but aren't worth the risk IMO. The one caveat would be if 1,2,3, and 5 ALL end up QBs, then I would look to trade up to ensure they don't miss out on all 5. Beyond Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and Lamar, I don't see any other worthwhile QB picks in this draft (maybe Rudolph, but not in the 1st - and he may go late 1st). If the Bills don't get one of the top 5 at 12 (or above), they may be the team to take Rudolph at 22.

Rosen is fragile and not worth the capital needed to trade up. Darnold will be gone no later than 2, so that's a no-go.

I just don't understand this fascination with Josh Rosen. He's a bum, and it baffles me how other people refuse to admit it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosen is fragile and not worth the capital needed to trade up. Darnold will be gone no later than 2, so that's a no-go.

I just don't understand this fascination with Josh Rosen. He's a bum, and it baffles me how other people refuse to admit it.

I guess we'll see. He's a douche, I'll give you that, but he's been a very good QB to date.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod to Watkins on passes over 20 (I think, maybe it was 40), was highly accurate and a deadly combo two years ago. I see nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with Tyrod's arm...other than his lack of usage with it.

That is a big part of the problem. Tyrod is more willing to cut and run than throw a tight window pass. He doesn't challenge defenses with his arm. Sure, he can play safe and not turn the ball over, but he almost never throws a player open, something good NFL QBs need to do. To me, Tyrod is in the Kaepernick class (ignoring all political aspects); elite athlete with escapability and a solid arm that lacks vision to throw players open (or throw before the break), instead waiting for the WR to come open and force the ball to him (if he hasn't cut and run by then). Only throwing to obviously open WRs cuts way back on a teams' passing game effectiveness. Might as well dink and dunk.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely can't take a QB now

Casual fan here, but completely agree. Not because of Incognito alone, but doesn't make sense to me to trade up if the cost is most of the 6 picks you have in the first 3 rounds. Those picks could be 5 starters (for a team that certainly has multiple holes), and to give that up for a far from sure thing QB would be a mistake.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casual fan here, but completely agree. Not because of Incognito alone, but doesn't make sense to me to trade up if the cost is most of the 6 picks you have in the first 3 rounds. Those picks could be 5 starters (for a team that certainly has multiple holes), and to give that up for a far from sure thing QB would be a mistake.

They may not be able to trade up using this year's picks as originally intended, but they could use next year's 1st instead of one of this year's seconds. Or, they could stand pat and draft a QB at #12.

Regardless, I doubt the GM has any intention of using the first 6 picks to get a QB. It would be the first 2 with maybe a 2nd or future 1st thrown in. Otherwise, the other GMs can go pound sand.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not be able to trade up using this year's picks as originally intended, but they could use next year's 1st instead of one of this year's seconds. Or, they could stand pat and draft a QB at #12.

Regardless, I doubt the GM has any intention of using the first 6 picks to get a QB. It would be the first 2 with maybe a 2nd or future 1st thrown in. Otherwise, the other GMs can go pound sand.

Last time we traded away 'next year's first' for a QB was JP Losman. The next year, sitting around the green room long enough for us to pick was one, Aaron Rodgers.

Of course the flip side is true when we "should have" traded up a couple spots to get Big Ben.

This is gonna be one of the more interesting and phone ringing drafts in recent history.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Igognito's retirement cements my opinion of not trading up to the top.

Those six picks in the first three rounds could all yield immediate starters unless there was a QB taken. I'd even consider trading 12 down for a mid 1st and 2nd if Tremaine Edwards and Roquan Smith are gone.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing to consider. What QBs will be in the draft and free agents next year.

For the draft, there is no one who stands out next year like this one.

For FAs, Matt Ryan leads the list but he's going nowhere. Tyrod and Bridgewater also will be FAs. If Bridgewater stays healthy for a full season, MAYBE (and that's a big maybe) he'd be worthy to pursue. But the prize will be Nick Foles. There will be a bidding war that will quite possibly eclipse the Kirk Cousins derby. After that, nothing much to write home about.

So it seems that if the Bills want a franchise QB, it has to be in this year's draft. Scary.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now Incognito has switched direction a few times further. First, said he would be at the team activities on Monday (today), then later tweeted that he wanted the team to release him. Who knows what is up with this guy, but he certainly can't be depended upon right now.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think Vander Esch is worth it at 12, if Roquan is gone. I don't think he makes ot through the teens. These two guys are professional middle linebackers. Without a doubt, our most glaring hole.

#stayat12

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think Vander Esch is worth it at 12, if Roquan is gone. I don't think he makes ot through the teens. These two guys are professional middle linebackers. Without a doubt, our most glaring hole.

#stayat12

I almost pulled the trigger on him there in our full mock draft. Luckily, he lasted until the next Bills pick.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here we are, Draft Day.

I expect there will be at least two major surprises in the first 10. Not necessarily "head scratchers" but changes in direction from what the "experts" predicted.

I also think that any team that trades up for a QB will have paid too much.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here we are, Draft Day.

I expect there will be at least two major surprises in the first 10. Not necessarily "head scratchers" but changes in direction from what the "experts" predicted.

I also think that any team that trades up for a QB will have paid too much.

The Jets certainly overpaid (basically double the chart value). If the early teams decide they WANT/NEED to trade down, prices might fall a bit.