• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Northwestern week/game thread

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the only one that gave me any worry outside of UM/OSU. I see we opened 14 point favorites and NW has not been playing well, but noon kicks on road always worry me and NW has been a real pain in our ass. Has trap game written all over it looking ahead to bye and Michiagan/OSU back to back. Still think we win, waiting to se eGesecki status before making a score pick

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU 30- NW 27

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin says Gesecki is a go, my pick is:

PSU - 41
NW - 20

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking PSU wins this one. They are playing pretty darn good football right now and I don't see that faltering anytime soon. That comeback win against Iowa may have injected this team with confidence that can handle adversity. We shall see.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor blocking and poor execution in the read/option. They should speed up the run game so Barkley gets straight handoffs or tosses (if they have that in their playbook.) By the tine Saquon gets the ball the D is all over him and Trace isn't scaring anyone with his run threat right now. Passing game looks good though and D has been solid

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Davis :gaah:

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good game. Defense was very impressive. Does Moorhead have any running plays in the playbook that don't involve an option? If he doesn't I think they need to install some. NW crashed hard all day on the option plays and they were pretty ineffective. Seems like it was taking too long to get the ball to Saquon. And Tyler Davis... woof

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't get our offensive line kicked into gear in time for Michigan I think we can just forget about Barkley winning the Heisman. He has already had two straight weeks in which his running game was very sub-par. Another two straight games of that and he will be out of the conversation.

Davis is also giving me heartburn. Michigan and Ohio State may come down to field goals and I don't have alot of confidence in the kid this year. I know some of it is the new holder and the terrible line play.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor blocking and poor execution in the read/option. They should speed up the run game so Barkley gets straight handoffs or tosses (if they have that in their playbook.) By the tine Saquon gets the ball the D is all over him and Trace isn't scaring anyone with his run threat right now. Passing game looks good though and D has been solid

Wouldn't so much say poor blocking as I'd say teams are putting 8 in front and just running directly at Barkley every play. We are taking what's given and throwing the ball instead. If people want to let our WR kill them, then we will oblige them. With the RPO, we can adjust at line and make teams play, I beliebe Trace broke a PSU record for consecutive completions yesterday.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't get our offensive line kicked into gear in time for Michigan I think we can just forget about Barkley winning the Heisman. He has already had two straight weeks in which his running game was very sub-par. Another two straight games of that and he will be out of the conversation.

Davis is also giving me heartburn. Michigan and Ohio State may come down to field goals and I don't have alot of confidence in the kid this year. I know some of it is the new holder and the terrible line play.

Our offense IS in gear, we are piling up yards and scoring points. Our O is designed to take what defense gives. Would I love to see Barkley getting 200 per game? of course. Would I rather see us shred teams in passing game when they decide to run 3 guys at Barkley every play? of course. You don't need to force feed run to win games and its great to be able to piund teams when they take away Saquon for a half.

Davis is starting to really worry me now. I could defend him when there were bad snaps and blocks, but he missed one yesterday that should be automatic

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice win to keep the Lions undefeated and ranked fourth in the nation. I'd say we have come back from football purgatory and I am looking forward to the Michigan and Ohio State games to see just how far we really have come!!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't so much say poor blocking as I'd say teams are putting 8 in front and just running directly at Barkley every play. We are taking what's given and throwing the ball instead. If people want to let our WR kill them, then we will oblige them. With the RPO, we can adjust at line and make teams play, I beliebe Trace broke a PSU record for consecutive completions yesterday.

I understand they were trying to take Barkley away and we compensated with the pass. Still the blocking was not good and the plays were too slow developing. Did you see any of the Wisconsin game? Last count they ran the ball 19 straight plays. They imposed their will on their opposition. Now Wisconsin cannot throw the ball like we can but they executed on the line. Let's not forget that we gave up 5 sacks also.

All that said they won the game going away. That is big picture.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand they were trying to take Barkley away and we compensated with the pass. Still the blocking was not good and the plays were too slow developing. Did you see any of the Wisconsin game? Last count they ran the ball 19 straight plays. They imposed their will on their opposition. Now Wisconsin cannot throw the ball like we can but they executed on the line. Let's not forget that we gave up 5 sacks also.

All that said they won the game going away. That is big picture.

Wisconsin doesn't line up in a 3-4 wide every play either. If you want us to go back to a 2 back, 2 TE offense we can impose our will and pray we don't get stuffed and have to pass. I'd prefer to just keep taking what they give us, keep piling up tons of yards and keep scoring 30+ per game. 2 dimensional > 1 Dimensional. Again, in this offense, you will have negative plays just based on Trace making wrong choice in RPO, but more often than not we make the right call and move the ball easily

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin doesn't line up in a 3-4 wide every play either. If you want us to go back to a 2 back, 2 TE offense we can impose our will and pray we don't get stuffed and have to pass. I'd prefer to just keep taking what they give us, keep piling up tons of yards and keep scoring 30+ per game. 2 dimensional > 1 Dimensional. Again, in this offense, you will have negative plays just based on Trace making wrong choice in RPO, but more often than not we make the right call and move the ball easily

When did I say I wanted to go back to that system. I also said it was great that we can pass as well as run. I appreciate you being Mr. Positive when it comes to Penn State ... as am I right now. There isn't anything wrong with saying there are ways to get the run game working also. I played the game, I coached the game I am sure it is possible.

So I will repeat myself. A win is win, that is most important. I will repeat myself and say the Oline has to step it's game up in the next couple of weeks.

We are number three in the country. I have felt this positive in a long time but I am not going to call everything rosy if there are things that can be improved. Let's have a good bye week and get a BIG win. :suds:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I say I wanted to go back to that system. I also said it was great that we can pass as well as run. I appreciate you being Mr. Positive when it comes to Penn State ... as am I right now. There isn't anything wrong with saying there are ways to get the run game working also. I played the game, I coached the game I am sure it is possible.

So I will repeat myself. A win is win, that is most important. I will repeat myself and say the Oline has to step it's game up in the next couple of weeks.

We are number three in the country. I have felt this positive in a long time but I am not going to call everything rosy if there are things that can be improved. Let's have a good bye week and get a BIG win. :suds:

Just saying, comparing what we do to Wisconsin is an apples to pears comparison. They line up and are a 1 dimensional team that will try to hammer it down your throat. We are a take what you give us and adjust on the fly offense. Teams we are playing now with less talent are just selling out to stop Barkley, fine, throw it all day. Its not about being positive or negative, its about knowing what we are now and what we aren't. No oline can block 8-9 guys, especially when 3-4 are making a b-line at 26 every play. they are leaving middle wide open, why try to impose will and run? Michigan and OSU will play us straight up more than likely, if we struggle to run against a base scheme, I will worry. My biggest concern is the pass pro at RT, too many guys speed rushing there or spin/swimming when RS/FR is in. I'd also rather see Mahon at LT and Bates back at guard. that was by far our best OL last year.

Never said we were perfect, but no team is and we are as good as anyone out there right now....balanced O, great D, great ST coverage, great punter....kicker scares hell out of me though. Amazoing how Davis couldn't miss, now can't hit chip shots.

I am ready for October 21 and 28. Will be at both, girlfriend go us a pair of tix and hotel in Columbus for my birthday.:suds:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying, comparing what we do to Wisconsin is an apples to pears comparison. They line up and are a 1 dimensional team that will try to hammer it down your throat. We are a take what you give us and adjust on the fly offense. Teams we are playing now with less talent are just selling out to stop Barkley, fine, throw it all day. Its not about being positive or negative, its about knowing what we are now and what we aren't. No oline can block 8-9 guys, especially when 3-4 are making a b-line at 26 every play. they are leaving middle wide open, why try to impose will and run? Michigan and OSU will play us straight up more than likely, if we struggle to run against a base scheme, I will worry. My biggest concern is the pass pro at RT, too many guys speed rushing there or spin/swimming when RS/FR is in. I'd also rather see Mahon at LT and Bates back at guard. that was by far our best OL last year.

Never said we were perfect, but no team is and we are as good as anyone out there right now....balanced O, great D, great ST coverage, great punter....kicker scares hell out of me though. Amazoing how Davis couldn't miss, now can't hit chip shots.

I am ready for October 21 and 28. Will be at both, girlfriend go us a pair of tix and hotel in Columbus for my birthday.:suds:

I get you. We are basically saying the same thing. I am fine with defenses committing multiple players to take our run game away. Actually they took Barkley away even in the pass game but that left everyone else available.

Bring us lots of luck the next two games.

BTW it is a lot more fun to bitch about a win than a loss. :thumb:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its amazing to think how inept we were just 2 years ago on offense and ST to where we are now. Franklin has done an amazing job reloading with talent and continues to get even more.

It is a lot more fun to nitpick a team winning by 30+ per game than worrying if we can score 2 TD's and try to hang on