• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non Baseball Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I may regret this, but was curious about how this forum felt regarding Michael Bennett sitting during the anthem? Not trying to start a firestorm, just looking for clarification of something I may be missing.

My take:

1- Sitting out the anthem doesn't bring awareness to cause it brings awareness to player. Kaep sat out 2 games before anyone notices then all focus was on him.

2- To me the anthem represents America...all America both good and bad. But to by sitting it out he is opposing America. The same America that has afforded him the riches he would not be afforded in any other country in the world for his one ability.

3- Where were these guys at when they were not under major contracts? One ex-NFL player who does broadcasting said Kaep did the right thing by first getting his contract and then announcing his moral beliefs because that is how it should be done. Huh? Moral beliefs have nothing to do with money or status.

4- (This is the biggest reason I started this thread) Today a local Hawks reporter said Bennett is talking with ESPN today and is not talking to local media all week. Again, huh? He is trying to draw awareness to him so he can soldier a cause then rebuffs the people that can get his cause attention on a daily basis.

5- One of his issues is inequality. Inequality has many versions. One such version is how people who play a child's game make 100X more than people who protect us, who take care of us, who teach us, and who risk their lives for things like coal to heat parts of the world.

My issues have nothing to do with race. I don't care if it was Tom Brady sitting. To me it is about lack of appreciation that this country has afforded people. People of all religions and colors. It is not a perfect country, but there aren't many better.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents is that he has a right to do or say whatever he wants within the law because soldiers fight for our rights as Americans. But on the same token, in countries that certain outspoken leaders of that movement want America to resemble you get imprisoned or in Castro's you are killed for disrespect.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletes nowadays like Bennett, Kaep, LBJ are using sports as a platform to protest and it is well within their rights to do so as long as they don't break any laws.

Now, Yes, I do agree that they're only bringing awareness to themselves and it's why I don't support what they're doing as they're supposed to be role models for the youth, they're sending a message that it is okay to disrespect the flag.

Personally, looking beyond what the athletes have been doing and myself as a minority (Asian American) what happened this past weekend and the President's response to it, scares the crap out of me as he's resurrected an old hateful evil. He's saying you can go out there and counter-protest the people that are protesting social injustice and it's okay to resort to violence.

As much as you don't want it to be a race issue, it has been and it will always be so as it stands right now, this country is heading down a dangerous path.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as you don't want it to be a race issue, it has been and it will always be so as it stands right now, this country is heading down a dangerous path.

But since the country was founded, race has always been an issue. From slavery to mistreatment of foreign workers who actually built this country, we have always had racial/social problems. But we are also not alone. The world has had the same problems since dawn of man. Do I have the answers? Of course not. but to go against the anthem is not the way to go either IMO. Are they going to start burning the flag on the sidelines next? If people don't find it a big deal, then why continue to play the anthem before sporting activities?

And I hate hearing it is a race issue, because race is not the problem it is people that are the problem. To say it is a race problem, which so many do, diminishes the issue because it shows a group being a problem when it is individuals with faces that are the problem. Charlottesville was a great example of that. It wasn't one race against another, it was bad people against good people with all races on the good side. I am half Italian (mom from Italy) and half white-mix.

I do appreciate your views on it and I think we agree on the part that bothered me the most which was what he used to promote his protest the anthem.

(A little background) And my dad was a 20 year Army vet who served in WW2 among other conflicts. My wife also served 4 years active duty and 4 years reserves in the Navy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a final comment for now, I don't think they should trade Bennett in any way and not just because he is a stud. And I was all for them signing Kaep a couple months back,

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But since the country was founded, race has always been an issue. From slavery to mistreatment of foreign workers who actually built this country, we have always had racial/social problems. But we are also not alone. The world has had the same problems since dawn of man. Do I have the answers? Of course not. but to go against the anthem is not the way to go either IMO. Are they going to start burning the flag on the sidelines next? If people don't find it a big deal, then why continue to play the anthem before sporting activities?

And I hate hearing it is a race issue, because race is not the problem it is people that are the problem. To say it is a race problem, which so many do, diminishes the issue because it shows a group being a problem when it is individuals with faces that are the problem. Charlottesville was a great example of that. It wasn't one race against another, it was bad people against good people with all races on the good side. I am half Italian (mom from Italy) and half white-mix.

I do appreciate your views on it and I think we agree on the part that bothered me the most which was what he used to promote his protest the anthem.

(A little background) And my dad was a 20 year Army vet who served in WW2 among other conflicts. My wife also served 4 years active duty and 4 years reserves in the Navy.
Going against the anthem and the flag is 100% wrong, but at the same time, it is what makes America... America. If a guy like Bennett thinks it's okay to teach his children to sit during the anthem because of the freedom he was given to then he's going to do it, because it'll be no difference than a guy next to me refusing to remove his hat one at a sporting event. So you're right, it is a people issue because these things are taught and what President Obama tweeted over the weekend was absolutely correct, teach your kids to love and they will love.

The unfortunate and also great thing about America is that it is completely diverse so social injustice will always be an issue but one simply cannot force another to do anything against their will, even if it involves the anthem and the flag because we would be one step closer to communism and dictatorship if we take that path.

We may disagree with their stance to only bring attention to themselves but it is still well within their rights, remember, these multi-million dollars athletes are simply DIVAS. there is a fine line they know not to cross and I believe they won't even come close to doing it.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a final comment for now, I don't think they should trade Bennett in any way and not just because he is a stud. And I was all for them signing Kaep a couple months back,
I wanted the Hawks to sign Kaep and I believe they would've signed Kaep until the other owners called in and say you better not do it.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't care. I watch sports for the sports, players' and coaches' personal/political philosophies don't concern me. As long as it's not affecting their performance on the field they can sit, stand, dance, make a duck face, whatever, I'm really not bothered.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I put this into the "I don't care" category. Mostly because this type of stuff doesn't bother me.

But to throw in some of my thoughts on this particular issue I have probably a strange stance on this. I completely understand why people get rubbed the wrong way regarding someone sitting during the anthem, however I also completely understand that Bennett (or any other athlete) can do whatever they want. All this political crap recently has really just worn me out everyone is beating there head against a titanium wall trying to get their particular view across. Rarely can Americans these days actually have a conversation about anything meaningful regarding politics.

Something I find disappointing with the national anthem is it gets played so often the impact of what it means and what it stands for seems to have been lost a little bit.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletes nowadays like Bennett, Kaep, LBJ are using sports as a platform to protest and it is well within their rights to do so as long as they don't break any laws.

Now, Yes, I do agree that they're only bringing awareness to themselves and it's why I don't support what they're doing as they're supposed to be role models for the youth, they're sending a message that it is okay to disrespect the flag.

Personally, looking beyond what the athletes have been doing and myself as a minority (Asian American) what happened this past weekend and the President's response to it, scares the crap out of me as he's resurrected an old hateful evil. He's saying you can go out there and counter-protest the people that are protesting social injustice and it's okay to resort to violence.

I only semi defend Trumps poorly worded response is because it wasn't the anti protesters but a certain group who infiltrates protest groups and escalates everything into violence. As any resident around the Puget Sound has seen is that little protest group never gets called out for and is all but rewarded by the Seattle city council.

But on the same note, a horrible time to call them out especially when the original protesters were the scum of modern civilization.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really concern myself with the opinions of athletes. I watch them for their performance in their given sport, not for their political beliefs. Most of them are fucking morons anyway so it's not really worth taking what they say or do very seriously.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really concern myself with the opinions of athletes. I watch them for their performance in their given sport, not for their political beliefs. Most of them are fucking morons anyway so it's not really worth taking what they say or do very seriously.

That was my original thought but then went into the action part of it. I just think if his cause is so important to him he should action against the cause and not against the anthem. I see it as him sitting against the flag while the young lady dies standing for the flag. She is a hero by confronting the problem directly.

What is the old saying, "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees".

Thanks to all for their comments. It was started as a fact finding thread and not a debate and that is what it turned into.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, alot athletes wouldn't pass the physical to get enlisted.

But I do agree people shouldn't choose a side of an issue because of what athletes or celebrities feel or say. Alot of people dislike the not standing, alot of people applaud it, either way it just shows why we are the greatest nation because people are allowed to voice unpopular opinions or do peaceful acts such as not standing.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was pretty cool that Britt stood in solidarity with Michael Bennett.

Regardless of where you fall on the issue, it's always cool seeing teammates support each other.