• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Noel talking his way out of town

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think it's just silly . . . this situation that we are in now with three starting centers," Noel said on the eve of the Sixers' media day. "With the departure of [former general manager and president] Sam Hinkie, I would have figured that management would be able to set something done this summer."

"I feel like it definitely needs to be figured out," he said. "I think at the end of the day, again, you have three starting-caliber centers. And it's just not going to work to anybody's advantage having that on the same team. That's how I'm looking at it. I'm not opposed to anything, but things need to be situated."

Nerlens Noel: Sixers Situation Is "Silly"

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My read on the situation: Noel is aware that he's the least talented of the 3 centers and knows that his playing time will drastically decrease if all 3 of them are on the roster this season. Especially if Embiid is the defensive force that some people think he will be.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it differently. He's the one up for a new contract this year. He knows there are two other people that will cut into his minutes at the position and the resulting loss of production in the overall numbers could hurt his value on the market.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling he wants to play n Boston. That is the last place I would send him.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling he wants to play n Boston. That is the last place I would send him.

I'm hearing that Phoenix is interested.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that Phoenix is interested.
What could we get for him? He has to have some value. Athletic 22 Year old Centers with experience in the NBA don't just grow on trees.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could we get for him? He has to have some value. Athletic 22 Year old Centers with experience in the NBA don't just grow on trees.

The rumor floated out there is apparently a three-team trade with the 76ers, Suns, and Rockets. It's been rumored over the past few months so who knows if there is actually any traction on it:

"In Lynch’s trade scenario which works on ESPN’s trade machine, the Rockets acquire Noel by sending KJ McDaniels and Clint Capela to the Suns, while the 76ers get Brandon Knight and Archie Goodwin from Phoenix. The proposed deal would also see the Suns receiving lottery-protected first-rounder and second-rounder from the Rockets and Sixers, respectively."

I suppose I'd be ok with that. The problem with Knight is that he probably needs the ball in his hands to be effective and we're going to want Simmons controlling the ball most of the time.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor floated out there is apparently a three-team trade with the 76ers, Suns, and Rockets. It's been rumored over the past few months so who knows if there is actually any traction on it:

"In Lynch’s trade scenario which works on ESPN’s trade machine, the Rockets acquire Noel by sending KJ McDaniels and Clint Capela to the Suns, while the 76ers get Brandon Knight and Archie Goodwin from Phoenix. The proposed deal would also see the Suns receiving lottery-protected first-rounder and second-rounder from the Rockets and Sixers, respectively."

I suppose I'd be ok with that. The problem with Knight is that he probably needs the ball in his hands to be effective and we're going to want Simmons controlling the ball most of the time.

Meh, would Goodwin even make the roster and we'll get far better than Knight in the draft next year.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded, the team must get back an above average guard/wing-type player or a potential lottery pick next year.

There is risk involved in not trading him by the deadline, but still best to let somebody else overpay for him.
If anything, reducing his minutes will limit his counting stats and perhaps make teams shy away.

And there's also the possibility of an injury on our team or another team that would help this along.

Nothing to do now unless another team bowls you over with a trade.
Revisit this at the deadline.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded, the team must get back an above average guard/wing-type player or a potential lottery pick next year.

There is risk involved in not trading him by the deadline, but still best to let somebody else overpay for him.
If anything, reducing his minutes will limit his counting stats and perhaps make teams shy away.

And there's also the possibility of an injury on our team or another team that would help this along.

Nothing to do now unless another team bowls you over with a trade.
Revisit this at the deadline.

Say the trade deadline comes and passes, I don't know what has gone on with the progress of Joel, Noel, or Jahlil, but nothing came of fruition for whatever reason, maybe one got hurt. If it comes down to Joel and Jahlil and Noel all looked good and Noel is an RFA, what kind of sign and trades have been done?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say the trade deadline comes and passes, I don't know what has gone on with the progress of Joel, Noel, or Jahlil, but nothing came of fruition for whatever reason, maybe one got hurt. If it comes down to Joel and Jahlil and Noel all looked good and Noel is an RFA, what kind of sign and trades have been done?

There are quite a few examples of sign and trades.
The Suns did a sign and trade with Sacramento to get Isaiah Thomas in July 2014.
He was eventually dealt to the Celtics at the trade deadline in 2015.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, would Goodwin even make the roster and we'll get far better than Knight in the draft next year.

On Goodwin, he probably wouldn't make the roster.

On Knight, I'm not sure that we can get far better, but we can certainly get better. Even if that's true, Knight could be a pretty sick 6th man or could run the 2nd team offense.

But yeah, the 76ers get the worst of that trade. Houston gets a starting center and Phoenix gets a cheap young perimeter player, a first round and second round pick, and gets to dump a big contract attached to a player not worthy of that money.

I'd prefer to see what we can get from Toronto. It's a shame because Noel for the 9th pick would have been a nice trade this offseason. Toronto gets a young, capable center instead of waiting for Poeltl to develop. The 76ers could have snagged Prince, Valentine, or whoever else they liked or possibly used it to trade up a few spots to get one of the guards. I think it would have worked out for everyone. If the 9th pick was too steep for Noel, I'm sure the 76ers could have packaged some assets together to even it out.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Goodwin, he probably wouldn't make the roster.

On Knight, I'm not sure that we can get far better, but we can certainly get better. Even if that's true, Knight could be a pretty sick 6th man or could run the 2nd team offense.

But yeah, the 76ers get the worst of that trade. Houston gets a starting center and Phoenix gets a cheap young perimeter player, a first round and second round pick, and gets to dump a big contract attached to a player not worthy of that money.

I'd prefer to see what we can get from Toronto. It's a shame because Noel for the 9th pick would have been a nice trade this offseason. Toronto gets a young, capable center instead of waiting for Poeltl to develop. The 76ers could have snagged Prince, Valentine, or whoever else they liked or possibly used it to trade up a few spots to get one of the guards. I think it would have worked out for everyone. If the 9th pick was too steep for Noel, I'm sure the 76ers could have packaged some assets together to even it out.
Just asking. You don't think Noel, a proven NBA center is worth at least the 9th pick in last years draft? I would hope he could bring us more. A lot of the high picks don't pan out. Noel has proven he can play.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just asking. You don't think Noel, a proven NBA center is worth at least the 9th pick in last years draft? I would hope he could bring us more. A lot of the high picks don't pan out. Noel has proven he can play.

Depends. If I'm another team, I know that the 76ers have too many big men, limited trade partners, and one of the big men is starting to speak out a little bit. While Noel is a proven NBA center, he's also a restricted free agent after this season and is going to command a large number of years and a hefty salary -- one that the 76ers probably are not going to completely want to pay, given the other young stars who will be hitting free agency in the next two years.

There are also questions as to how good Noel actually is. I like his defensive ability but he's pretty bad offensively and he isn't as good of a rebounder as you'd like to see, given his offensive shortcomings. And he's played on some terrible teams so his numbers may not reflect his actual value (see MCW.)

If I were the 76ers and had the 9th overall pick, I wouldn't trade it for Nerlens Noel. If I were a team on the brink of contention? Maybe. But Toronto didn't want to pay Bismack, so why would they want to trade the 9th overall pick for Noel when they'd have to pay Noel next offseason in order to keep him?