• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Pac 12 Team In The CFP?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it safe to say that there will be no Pac 12 team in the CFP this year? As of right now, the highest ranked Pac 12 team are the USC Trojans at #11. Then you have Washington and Washington State at #14 and #15 respectively. USC is in the Pac 12 title game and they will face either Stanford or Washington State. Washington is not eligible to win the division because of their loss to Stanford earlier this year. Barring any upsets, seems the only games that would benefit Pac 12 teams are the other conference championship games. All of the other conference championship games will put 2 top 10 teams against each other.

Miami vs. Clemson
Georgia vs. Bama/Auburn winner
Wisconsin vs. Ohio State
Oklahoma vs. TCU/Oklahoma State

Are there any real scenarios where a Pac 12 team makes the CFP this year? Does USC HAVE to win the Pac 12 title in order for the Pac 12 to have it's best bet at a playoff team? Do scenarios like this call for an expansion of the playoff? Like, for instance, all 5 conference champs have a spot and the 6th team is the highest ranked non Power 5 conference champion?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any real scenarios where a Pac 12 team makes the CFP this year? Does USC HAVE to win the Pac 12 title in order for the Pac 12 to have it's best bet at a playoff team?

Yes, the best shot for the PAC to get into the cfp is USC winning the CCG. However, we would still need to have Armageddon over the next couple of weeks of rivalry games and CCG's. Basically, virtually every other 2 loss team would have to lose.

Do scenarios like this call for an expansion of the playoff? Like, for instance, all 5 conference champs have a spot and the 6th team is the highest ranked non Power 5 conference champion?

I've always preferred an 8 team playoff (but no bigger). It allows all P5 conference champs into the playoff and allows 3 "wild card" spots for teams that make a late push (like USC and PSU last year) and a deserving non-P5 conference champ or 2.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the best shot for the PAC to get into the cfp is USC winning the CCG. However, we would still need to have Armageddon over the next couple of weeks of rivalry games and CCG's. Basically, virtually every other 2 loss team would have to lose.

I've always preferred an 8 team playoff (but no bigger). It allows all P5 conference champs into the playoff and allows 3 "wild card" spots for teams that make a late push (like USC and PSU last year) and a deserving non-P5 conference champ or 2.

I 100% think the playoff should be expanded. I'd like for a non-power 5 team to be highlighted each year. It would make recruiting and competition better all around I think. Imagine if a team like Toledo, at 9-2, were involved in the CFP on national TV. That'd do wonders for that program and the competition of that program within the division. Competition breeds excellence.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with USC not going. To be honest, with the loss to Notre Dame I don't think we deserve a shot this year.
Really this year, if Wisconsin doesn't win the Big 10 they have no other deserving team either. I could easily see two of the P5 conference champs left out.