• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Man's Sky is out...

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reviews are a bit... Mixed?

From what I gather, it sounds like folks think its very neat and all, but the constant need to mine resources in order to stay alive is kind of a buzz kill...

Anyone here played it yet? Kinda nervous about it because it was this kind of shit that stopped me playing Metro: Last Light... I hated having to find/change gas mask filters every 30 seconds when I was outside and finally quit because it kept respawning me a at a checkpoint where the situation was impossible to not die and I didn't want to go back to the previous checkpoint...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reluctant to buy and I'm skipping.

One of my good friends pre-ordered it and he says he likes it. Compares it to Minecraft.

I think it looks awful

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got it, and have been playing it in between playing the shit out of overwatch.

I think NMS is kind of.....finding a balance out of what you expected it to be vs. what you want it to be vs what you make out of it.

The grinding for materials sucks at times, but then at times it's actually .......exciting? At one point I just KEPT GETTING ATTACKED by these asshole pirates and couldn't repair my ship, and I needed one particular element, and couldn't find it, and I go to a few planets, and one planet is like 300 degrees, and the next planet is like super radiated, with extreme acid rain. So I couldn't look on either planet for more than about 2 minutes. So I get back in my busted-ass ship to go try to find the element in asteroids and get attacked again (space combat is kind of a chore, and not very intuitive), .......so I'm out here grinding for one element to just fix my ship, while in a system with nothing but uber-hostile planets, and loaded with space pirates and at first I'm like 'fuck this shit.....everything is trying to kill me"

But that's also part of the fun. It breaks up the monotony of "go here. mine plutonium. Go there, find some zinc. Go to the space station, buy suspension fluid. Build a warp core, jump a few systems, repeat.

When you're actually fighting to survive, and can't find the shit you need, to me that's when the game started to git gud, although a little frustrating.

As backwards as it sounds, I wish there was some sort of penalty or consequence for dying though. If you actually die, you just go to where you died, and pick up your stuff, and carry on as if nothing happened. No real feeling of suspense.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main 2 reasons I've seen that it's getting negative reviews are 1, it's a $60 game and it's not a AAA title it's 100% indie so people feel a little ripped off because it seems to be worth $20-30 and 2, they were lied to about multiplayer up until the release.

Ever since the trailer debuted it was hyped up as this huge multiplayer experience the possibilities are endless of what you can do with friends. Well the night before the main hype guy snuck in that there's no MP and it's all single player, but since it was the night before they knew no one was going to cancel their pre-order so it was kind of a shitty move to pull on their fans.

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main 2 reasons I've seen that it's getting negative reviews are 1, it's a $60 game and it's not a AAA title it's 100% indie so people feel a little ripped off because it seems to be worth $20-30 and 2, they were lied to about multiplayer up until the release.

Ever since the trailer debuted it was hyped up as this huge multiplayer experience the possibilities are endless of what you can do with friends. Well the night before the main hype guy snuck in that there's no MP and it's all single player, but since it was the night before they knew no one was going to cancel their pre-order so it was kind of a shitty move to pull on their fans.

That was kind of a dick move, but honestly I don't know what you could actually do in multiplayer. Also, the chances of actually ever seeing someone else randomly are incredibly slim. I think they said there's like 3 billion planets for every person on earth or some crazy shit like that. I appreciate what they are trying with the scope of the game here, but it seems like there's absolutely no need for the game to be even 1/10th or even 1/100th this size.

I mean, let's say there's 10 million players playing at a given time (which is being super generous), flitting about 18 quintillion planets...... that's probably the equivalent of 2 dozen people walking around on an otherwise deserted Earth, trying to find each other at random.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kind of a dick move, but honestly I don't know what you could actually do in multiplayer. Also, the chances of actually ever seeing someone else randomly are incredibly slim. I think they said there's like 3 billion planets for every person on earth or some crazy shit like that. I appreciate what they are trying with the scope of the game here, but it seems like there's absolutely no need for the game to be even 1/10th or even 1/100th this size.

I mean, let's say there's 10 million players playing at a given time (which is being super generous), flitting about 18 quintillion planets...... that's probably the equivalent of 2 dozen people walking around on an otherwise deserted Earth, trying to find each other at random.

I think what they initially said was that you could meet up with your friends and do stuff together which is what got people really excited. In a world that big they presented it as playing and exploring it together with friends was an initial selling point of the game.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of a much larger and more exotic version of Spore, without the evolution factor, or any sort of plot. I'd probably like playing the game, since I like open sandbox games that depend on creativity of the player.

On-rails players would likely find the game boring as heck.

I'll probably wait for a couple of major price drops, as I did with Spore.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have it

cool concept but needs a storyline

literally no story line at all. just fly and fuck around to get more resources to go out and do it again in a different star system or to upgrade your gear.

there needs to be some meaning behind the shit other than "i wonder what kind of weird shit the computer is going to generate in that other star system.....i better get me some fucking plutonium so i can find out"

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have it

cool concept but needs a storyline

literally no story line at all. just fly and fuck around to get more resources to go out and do it again in a different star system or to upgrade your gear.

there needs to be some meaning behind the shit other than "i wonder what kind of weird shit the computer is going to generate in that other star system.....i better get me some fucking plutonium so i can find out"

That's what I'm finding as well... The, "I wouldn't mind doing all of this if there was a reason to do it...".

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't played this but I love the soundtrack.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never get into these types of games, but it sucked. It is absolutely awful. Would have traded it in if I could for a decent price. Never made it out of my first solar system. It is such a grind, shooting freaking rocks, managing inventory, ohhhh just what I wanted in a freaking space exploration game. I should get a refund for this lie.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played the game for the first time yesterday, and enjoyed hours of play prior to getting slagged by sentinels while trying to shoot down a door.

Made it to the second solar system, and finally got the recipe for crafting hyperspace fuel ... so should be able to branch out and see other places now.

They have pirates in the game, so that adds an interesting dynamic, reminiscent of the old Wing Commander Privateer game. Killed off five of those so far, which made the locals like me more. Also helped that I could recharge my boat's shields during the dogfight (which I wasn't able to do in Privateer).

I really like the game so far, but I've always been a fan of sandbox games. If you like on-rails games, this one ain't for you.

It's worth noting (for those who like me do like sandbox games) that the latest patch apparently fixed some early concerns - but it's still a grind-fest. That stated, the Steam variant offers a play mode that provides you with infinite resources, so you can just explore without the grinding.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played it for a while on PS4. It's intriguing for a while until utter repetitiveness sinks in. The game is missing something.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played it for a while on PS4. It's intriguing for a while until utter repetitiveness sinks in. The game is missing something.

Yes... A point.... ;)

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
late to the game, finally got it this past weekend as i thought it sounded cool. figured it's something i could chill with while getting buzzed, but the text is so small, looking around and tagging things annoys me more than learning what things are and their components as it's so tiny to read.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
late to the game, finally got it this past weekend as i thought it sounded cool. figured it's something i could chill with while getting buzzed, but the text is so small, looking around and tagging things annoys me more than learning what things are and their components as it's so tiny to read.
Even with all the updates and how much improvements this game has gotten (if you don’t like it now be thankful you didn’t buy it day one), I just can’t get into it. When they release their next big update I will make myself try it again.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with all the updates and how much improvements this game has gotten (if you don’t like it now be thankful you didn’t buy it day one), I just can’t get into it. When they release their next big update I will make myself try it again.

They're still updating it?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're still updating it?
Yea man, the game is significantly, and I mean significantly improved. It is now the game they promised. This game is considered one of if not the biggest turnaround in gaming history. They clearly lied, but they used the money to make the game they promised and redeemed themselves. I just still don’t love the game and that’s on me. I am part of the crew that helped finance on day one, so your welcome!