• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL MVP

Who would you vote for?

• Kris Bryant

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Corey Seager

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daniel Murphy

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Noah Syndergaard

• Other

• Total voters

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be a pretty sizable gap between Kris Bryant/Corey Seager and the rest of the NL, at least in terms of WAR. I was surprised to see Freddie Freeman ranking so high in the leaderboards, but I can't imagine he'll place very high on the voters' ballots while playing on the #Barves. Brandon Crawford has quietly been a very good SS these past few years and he might be the best defensive SS not named "Andrelton Simmons" and his 105 wRC+ makes him one of the better hitting shortstops. However, I think the gap between him and Seager offensively is just a lot bigger than the gap defensively.

Daniel Murphy's still sporting a .343/.387/.594 line with a career high 25 home runs and 43 doubles/triples. His 155 wRC+ would be higher than any of Cano or Utley's best seasons and is on par with Jeff Kent's 2000 season. Interestingly enough, Jose Altuve currently has a slightly higher wRC+. It's been an unusually strong year for 2nd base offensively as there's currently eleven second basemen with a wRC+ of 120 or higher (not including Carpenter as he's played more games at other positions than 2B). There's only seven first basemen with a wRC+ of 120 or higher (not including Encarnacion as he's played more games at DH than 1B).

Seager himself is having one of the best offensive seasons at shortstop in recent memory, on par with A-Rod/Hanley/Nomar. He's currently sporting a .317/.378/.535 line with a 146 wRC+ and 65 extra base hits (24 home runs).

Bryant is just raking this year. He's currently batting .302/.398/.575. He leads the NL in wRC+ (158) and is tied with Nolan Arenado for first in the NL in home runs (36). He also leads all of MLB in runs scored (112). Bryant also rates as a very good baserunner (albeit not a great base stealer) and has provided plenty of defensive versatility at 3B and in the outfield. Dave Cameron had a pretty good piece a few weeks ago on Bryant's all around game. It's possible his teammates Anthony Rizzo and maybe even Kyle Hendricks could steal some votes from Bryant and some voters might give first place votes to someone else just because the Cubs have been so dominant (which is dumb, but whatever).

I threw Syndergaard's name in there just because the rest of the field is pretty meh. But he could very well win the NL CYA and he's one of the few things keeping the Mets in the thick of the NL playoff picture. He does have a 62 OPS+ (making him one of the best hitting pitchers) and three home runs.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Murphy...no question he has made a tremendous difference in that Nats lineup.

But I'm not one of those guys that's all into WARs and other weird metrics, so...FWIW.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 right now is

1. Bryant
2. Seger
3. Rizzo
4. Murphy
5. Arenado