• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nike to Stop making Clubs and Balls

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that article is about 10 yrs old...lol.

It did make news at the time but I think he won enough tourneys with the inferior Nike stuff that Phil kinda let it go.

Yeah it may be 10 years old but I think Phil might have had a point

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it may be 10 years old but I think Phil might have had a point

Maybe...but Nike guys (notably, Tiger, Duval, now Rory) won enough with them to dispel them being a major hindrance....pardon the pun...lol.

Keep in mind Tiger won the '08 USO on 1 and half legs with those things so they couldn't have hurt him too much...his pecker did more damage!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...but Nike guys (notably, Tiger, Duval, now Rory) won enough with them to dispel them being a major hindrance....pardon the pun...lol.

Keep in mind Tiger won the '08 USO on 1 and half legs with those things so they couldn't have hurt him too much...his pecker did more damage!

For Tiger though (during his prime) was it really the clubs or that he was just that dominate and the field itself wasn't as good?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise here. Nike made some okay products but IMO Ping, Callaway, and TaylorMade (especially for woods) have ALWAYS been the superior product. Nike got a lot of sales because of Tiger. Now that he's done there is no real pitch.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise here. Nike made some okay products but IMO Ping, Callaway, and TaylorMade (especially for woods) have ALWAYS been the superior product. Nike got a lot of sales because of Tiger. Now that he's done there is no real pitch.

Yep, my 5 wood is a TaylorMade... Had it for about 10-13 years and it's one of the best clubs in my bag..

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Tiger though (during his prime) was it really the clubs or that he was just that dominate and the field itself wasn't as good?

When Tiger 1st came out on tour, his big advantage was length and short game...he was a par 5 killer...then he learned to dial in his wedges and short irons and went on that stupid run 1999-2001 where it seemed like 10-12 approaches were inside 10' every round.

Competition...funny, when the newer clubs started coming out and Tiger was clinging to the old technology, the field caught up to him with distance. But the guys that were supposed to be challenging Tiger...major winners such as Davis Love, Ernie Els, Freddie Couples, etc...add to that Phil...all of them kind of wilted...the guys that seemed to stand up to him were the lesser names, like Hal Sutton, Bob May...the only big name to really stand up to Tiger was VJ, and maybe Duval for a short time...then later Phil.

Bottomline...he was just simply better.