• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nike to Stop making Clubs and Balls

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockbottom has some Titleist D2s for $350, but still too rich for my blood.

I don't like having all the settings on my R1, so I have it set pretty neutral. I just want a club I don't have to worry about. I am tweaking my grip to lessen my fade/slice, so I need to control that before I worry about the club.

$350? that is steep for a 913...that has to be the 915...I bought my 913 from Golfsmith $300 and got $75 on trade for my old Cleveland Hibore driver that I was going to give away...not a bad net on a club that was $400 a month prior.

To your point in bold...that's really the beauty of these new adjustable drivers...once you've been fitted, ideally you should be able to grip it neutral and get a result that will keep the ball in play. To be honest you can do it yourself, if you hit 20 balls and the ball flight is the same, it will take less than 30 mins....but if some are left, some are right, or a bad hook or slice...obviously you have bigger issues...yeah, it would pay to straighten that out before investing into a new club.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stock up! They should be pretty cheap.

This had been rumored for a while in on the equipment side I understand. The guy I spoke with at Golfsmith said they could never connect with the avid golfer...players that often stay up to date with equipment. Most weekend hacks like me, buying new clubs is like buying a refrigerator...they're going to be in the bag for a good while.

Nike didn't start manufacturing equipment until '02 I think and I'm still not sure if they ever made their own balls, but perhaps they did. I know Bridgestone made their 1st run of balls.

They will still be in the golf biz as an apparel/shoe company...essentially throwing in the towel on equipment and going 100% back into what they do well...most of the pros...Tiger, Rory, Wie, etc will most likely still be on board with those items.

Yeah I tried to do that the other day at Golf Galaxy but they only had one shell of two Nike Balls (one's I never saw before). I haven't bought new clubs in about 8 or 10 years either. I didn't think they really had a great grasp on the game of golf once Tiger went out

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I tried to do that the other day at Golf Galaxy but they only had one shell of two Nike Balls (one's I never saw before). I haven't bought new clubs in about 8 or 10 years either. I didn't think they really had a great grasp on the game of golf once Tiger went out

I buy balls locally every now and then, but playing 45-50 rds a yr usually I buy 4 or 5 dz balls online in spring from golfballs.com... those last the golf season and then some...I'm sure they would have Nike balls...I bought Callaway HBTs this yr..it was a $40 per dz ball when they 1st came out...I paid $21 per dz and $4.95 flat rate shipping.

I played with my original set of clubs, bag, the whole 9, for 16 yrs, then two yrs ago started turning over nearly the whole bag, new irons, driver, bag itself, the only clubs that have stayed...my 3w and 2 hybrid and I'm thinking about swapping my 2h for a Titleist 3h.

I think Nike made pretty good equipment...enough of their tour pros won with them aside from Tiger, but what they didn't do was connect with the weekend player...at least according to the mgr at Golfsmith...they have 30+ stores around the country and Nike never approached sales for them even close to the big name brands in equipment.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they know Tiger isn't coming back. Or at least, they're jumping ship before the long, slow end.

They're an apparel company. A shoe company. They should stick with those things.

Personally, I know I'm not good enough to waste money on new equipment...and i don't play often enough to warrant any "game improvement" clubs. I'll keep swingin my mish-mash of old Hogans and Orlimars

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son just happened to come across a nike covert driver at his course and we both hit it well. They're cavity back and really easy to hit.

View attachment 145093

A guy I played with last week had Nike hybrids, nice high flight...Maybe this weekend I'll take a look at their hybrids...had my eye on the Titleist 913 3H, but they're still 199...and the new 915 is 249...too much for a club I don't pull but 2 or 3 times a round.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, I never really liked the balls or the clubs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they know Tiger isn't coming back. Or at least, they're jumping ship before the long, slow end.

They're an apparel company. A shoe company. They should stick with those things.

Personally, I know I'm not good enough to waste money on new equipment...and i don't play often enough to warrant any "game improvement" clubs. I'll keep swingin my mish-mash of old Hogans and Orlimars

Yep, they weren't make any money on clubs with Tiger, getting out while he's not playing looks a little better.

Orlimar...I broke my 3w a few yrs ago...that's old school...Jesse Ortiz is still at though.

I think any of us weekend hacks can benefit from the new clubs, but it you don't play much I'd keep swinging my old stuff as well.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy balls locally every now and then, but playing 45-50 rds a yr usually I buy 4 or 5 dz balls online in spring from golfballs.com... those last the golf season and then some...I'm sure they would have Nike balls...I bought Callaway HBTs this yr..it was a $40 per dz ball when they 1st came out...I paid $21 per dz and $4.95 flat rate shipping.

I played with my original set of clubs, bag, the whole 9, for 16 yrs, then two yrs ago started turning over nearly the whole bag, new irons, driver, bag itself, the only clubs that have stayed...my 3w and 2 hybrid and I'm thinking about swapping my 2h for a Titleist 3h.

I think Nike made pretty good equipment...enough of their tour pros won with them aside from Tiger, but what they didn't do was connect with the weekend player...at least according to the mgr at Golfsmith...they have 30+ stores around the country and Nike never approached sales for them even close to the big name brands in equipment.

Damn, I'm lucky if I play 4-5 rounds a year :L

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I'm lucky if I play 4-5 rounds a year :L

Yeah, that's not bad...my old instructor told me...once a week golfers play just enough to have expectations, but not enough to realize them...lol...I've found that to be somewhat true...shot 77 one week, the next week...barely broke 90...generally in the mid 80s.

The guys I'm playing against are playing 80-90 rds a yr....they can play during the week...when I get out of the office, traffic, I could probably play 9, but I don't feel like it most of the time.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bery best thing is to join a weekly league. You have scored matches by the rules and your game will improve immensely. Some weeks you might not feel like playing but it forces you to and you're always glad that you got out.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's not bad...my old instructor told me...once a week golfers play just enough to have expectations, but not enough to realize them...lol...I've found that to be somewhat true...shot 77 one week, the next week...barely broke 90...generally in the mid 80s.

The guys I'm playing against are playing 80-90 rds a yr....they can play during the week...when I get out of the office, traffic, I could probably play 9, but I don't feel like it most of the time.

i'm lucky to break 94 :(

So yes I know I can't be upset with myself when I play and suck but it's easier said than done.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
red, honestly, a set of clubs that fits you properly will vastly improve your game. Equipment is more important than many folks think.

My new/used Nike 5 wood arrived yesterday so I'll have to hit the range today. I've determined that I hit the reg flex shaft better on the 3 wood so I bought the 5 wood in regular flex to try. At 40-50 bucks a club on ebay, I ain't breakin' the bank and I'll toss the ones I don't hit as well back onto ebay.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
red, honestly, a set of clubs that fits you properly will vastly improve your game. Equipment is more important than many folks think.

My new/used Nike 5 wood arrived yesterday so I'll have to hit the range today. I've determined that I hit the reg flex shaft better on the 3 wood so I bought the 5 wood in regular flex to try. At 40-50 bucks a club on ebay, I ain't breakin' the bank and I'll toss the ones I don't hit as well back onto ebay.
I just gave my old Ping G5 irons to a guy on my work team. He had been playing with some old ass Pings from what looked like the 70's and was in the 60s for 9 holes. Told him the G5s are extremely forgiving, nice big sweet spot, it will help his game.

Brought his score down 10 strokes the next week.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

I inherited my buddy's graphite shafted AP1 Titleist irons two seasons ago and have never played better than I am now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I'm good for clubs. The pro at the course I go to is only 2 inches shorter than me and he gave me his Pings so I am good in that department. Though I guess they could be slightly longer... I am just upset about the Nike balls which I use all the time.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine hitting anything but Titleist Pro-Vs.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first set of clubs were Nike Ignites, they weren't bad. I still have them in the garage, maybe I'll dust em off and sell them as "vintage".

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine hitting anything but Titleist Pro-Vs.
you fancy.

I don't think my swing speed is high enough to activate all the layers of in the Pro-V.

I use Titleist NXTs

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first set was Palmer Axioms!

Seriously though, I bought a friend's set of Calloway x-14s with 6.0 rifle steel shafts about 12 years ago because I got a good deal on them. This set of AP1s that I'm hitting now makes me realize that I handicapped myself all those years with a good set of clubs that simply didn't fit my swing and club speed.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you fancy.

I don't think my swing speed is high enough to activate all the layers of in the Pro-V.

I use Titleist NXTs

Gee, I'd have to question that notion. I find that Pro-Vs have the perfect compromise between distance and spin.