• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nike to Stop making Clubs and Balls

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It remains unclear how this decision will affect Nike's star-studded roster of golfers, which includes Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and Michelle Wie.

But Woods, for one, will be moving on. Reached by phone, Woods's agent, Mark Steinberg, said he and Tiger were aware this announcement was coming, and that he will begin searching for a new clubmaker for his famous client.

"Tiger and I have had multiple conversations about what we'd do, and we have an organized plan in place," Steinberg said. "The plan is continued rest and rehabilitation and we'll sort out the equipment thing in due course. I'll be in the process of doing that, effective immediately."

Steinberg declined to reveal which clubmaker he'd first approach, but added: "He's been a longtime icon of Nike golf and that's not going to change one ounce. He'll remain a loyal and enthusiastic icon of Nike."

In a 141-word press release, Nike said it will continue forward with its golf shoe and clothing business while partnering with more of the world's best golfers. However, Nike will be "transitioning" out of equipment.

"We're committed to being the undisputed leader in golf footwear and apparel," says Trevor Edwards, Nike brand president. "We will achieve this by investing in performance innovation for athletes and delivering sustainable profitable growth for Nike Golf."

Nike was in the golf equipment arena a relatively short time. It began selling golf balls in 1999, and in May 2000, Tiger Woods ditched his old wound balata for the new solid-core Nike Tour Accuracy ball. One month later, he annihilated the field by 15 shots in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tiger falls off the face of the earth and Nike stops making products? Coincidence?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swung a set of theirs once at a shop when I was looking for a new set and they were nice and all but way overpriced. And with Nike I just don't trust the durability because every Nike thing I've ever bought has fallen apart in a year or less. I'll stick to my TaylorMades.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it was no longer profitable for them without Tiger being the Marquee star...In a way its a shame, but Nike has been such a profiable company for so long, its hard to REALLY feel sympathy for them(especically when Phil Knight has acted kinda douchey in the past)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was never really a fan of their equipment, some of their golf balls played well and their apparel is pretty slick

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I only have a Nike fairway wood (got it on Rockbottomgolf.com) and I've only used it a few times. Club cost $49.99 (was on sale from like $150) but that's the only Nike club i've played. I love using their MOJO golf balls though

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried their clubs as rentals a few times & not really impressed. TaylorMade & others are much better & have a significantly better reputation. Tiger being out & Rory not doing so well lately certainly didn't help.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Michelle Wie certainly has not been the best spokesperson for these clubs.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried their clubs as rentals a few times & not really impressed. TaylorMade & others are much better & have a significantly better reputation. Tiger being out & Rory not doing so well lately certainly didn't help.

I have had a TaylorMade 5 Wood for the past 10 years or so... best club in my bag, love that thing

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I borrowed a set of Nike irons when I played in San Diego a few years ago and didn't hate them. I know some folks who have Nike fairway woods and like them.

I'll just stick to my TaylorMade clubs. Maybe I will look into the last Nike driver if the price drops

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play Nike Covert woods. Driver, 3 and 5.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stock up! They should be pretty cheap.

This had been rumored for a while in on the equipment side I understand. The guy I spoke with at Golfsmith said they could never connect with the avid golfer...players that often stay up to date with equipment. Most weekend hacks like me, buying new clubs is like buying a refrigerator...they're going to be in the bag for a good while.

Nike didn't start manufacturing equipment until '02 I think and I'm still not sure if they ever made their own balls, but perhaps they did. I know Bridgestone made their 1st run of balls.

They will still be in the golf biz as an apparel/shoe company...essentially throwing in the towel on equipment and going 100% back into what they do well...most of the pros...Tiger, Rory, Wie, etc will most likely still be on board with those items.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Rory have a hard time adjusting to Nike clubs when he first signed with them?
Maybe this will help his career...

If memory serves me, Nike made softball and baseball bats for a short time. I would only buy one if it were on deep discount...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it was no longer profitable for them without Tiger being the Marquee star...In a way its a shame, but Nike has been such a profiable company for so long, its hard to REALLY feel sympathy for them(especically when Phil Knight has acted kinda douchey in the past)

I think that's just it...not sure it was ever profitable...even when Tiger was at his peak...1999-2001...those were never really Nike clubs...he started with Titleist and when he did make the switch to Nike, the 1st run of irons, etc. just had a Nike stamp on them...they didn't start making their own equipment until '02.

Bottomline...they could pay money to get pros to play them, something they were good at across all sports, but avid golfers, the people that pay top retail $, never bought in to the degree it was profitable so they threw in the towel with Tiger not likely to regain his dominate form.

On the whole...I feel no sympathy, they're still making plenty of money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I borrowed a set of Nike irons when I played in San Diego a few years ago and didn't hate them. I know some folks who have Nike fairway woods and like them.

I'll just stick to my TaylorMade clubs. Maybe I will look into the last Nike driver if the price drops

They will be dropping.

I'm all over...I play Taylormade irons, Titleist driver, Cleveland 3w.

Word is Adidas is trying to off Taylormade...they're not in the best of health either.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will be dropping.

I'm all over...I play Taylormade irons, Titleist driver, Cleveland 3w.

Word is Adidas is trying to off Taylormade...they're not in the best of health either.
I don't think they are trying to off TaylorMade, I think they are selling it.

TM pisses me off with their drivers. They release a new "fad" driver every 3 months and it's annoying.

I want to get a Ping G or G30. Titleist wouldn't be a bad option though. Right now I have a TM R1 that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they are trying to off TaylorMade, I think they are selling it.

TM pisses me off with their drivers. They release a new "fad" driver every 3 months and it's annoying.

I want to get a Ping G or G30. Titleist wouldn't be a bad option though. Right now I have a TM R1 that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

Sorry...you're right...by "off" I meant rid, sell, not shut them down...TM has too much marketshare for that.

The big problem with equipment (especially drivers) today is they have pretty much maxed out C.O.R. so they're struggling to come up with new "reasons" to buy a new driver every year...adjustability was legit, but that's already 3+ yrs old.

Titleist and Ping tend to allow a 2 yr shelf life before they come out with a new club. TM just pumps out new stuff too quickly...forcing retailers to markdown last year's stuff.

I bought the Titleist 913 (D2) about a month before the 915s were due to hit the shelf....I went back and hit the 915 just to see if I made a mistake...even with the supposed hotter face with the rebound ring...the 913 went about the same distance for me.

Custom hosel/shaft fitting is really what makes the new drivers worth upgrading imo.

My bag is set...the only club I'm considering changing is my 2 hybrid for a 3 hybrid.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son just happened to come across a nike covert driver at his course and we both hit it well. They're cavity back and really easy to hit.

9700220_orig.jpg

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry...you're right...by "off" I meant rid, sell, not shut them down...TM has too much marketshare for that.

The big problem with equipment (especially drivers) today is they have pretty much maxed out C.O.R. so they're struggling to come up with new "reasons" to buy a new driver every year...adjustability was legit, but that's already 3+ yrs old.

Titleist and Ping tend to allow a 2 yr shelf life before they come out with a new club. TM just pumps out new stuff too quickly...forcing retailers to markdown last year's stuff.

I bought the Titleist 913 (D2) about a month before the 915s were due to hit the shelf....I went back and hit the 915 just to see if I made a mistake...even with the supposed hotter face with the rebound ring...the 913 went about the same distance for me.

Custom hosel/shaft fitting is really what makes the new drivers worth upgrading imo.

My bag is set...the only club I'm considering changing is my 2 hybrid for a 3 hybrid.
Rockbottom has some Titleist D2s for $350, but still too rich for my blood.

I don't like having all the settings on my R1, so I have it set pretty neutral. I just want a club I don't have to worry about. I am tweaking my grip to lessen my fade/slice, so I need to control that before I worry about the club.