• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Young signs with the Lakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those types of players are what they are. Call them dime a dozen, call them
scrubs, call them whatever you choose but it all adds up to the same. Non
difference makers on almost every single night.

So, unless you are difference maker every single game then you are a NBA scrub? A dime a dozen player? Come on now. Young and Kaman are better than that.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know this? We aren't privy to everything that happens in the front offices. Nick Young's agent said he could have gotten more money elsewhere. Farmar had to get out of a more lucrative contract to sign with the Lakers. I'm sure a center with Kaman's ability could have found a bigger paycheck.

Only thing I know for sure is that I never saw any other offers to any of them, and historically, players go where they are offered the most. The exception being older players who have plenty of cash in the bank and are chasing rings.

That certainly can't be the case with any Laker signees this off season.

As far as agents, a few months back I went and listened to Drew Rosenhaus speak. He, without hesitation said money is the biggest factor when players are given a choice of teams. You tell me what any players incentive would be to take less from the Lakers this year when everybody knows they will more then likely looking for the same types of contracts next year to fill out the roster.

As far as Kaman. What did the Mavs offer him? Then, look who they signed.

As far as Nick Youngs agent, why didn't he name who elsewhere was?

Look at Mike Miller. From the minute he cleared waivers, you heard the names of teams who want him.
In this day and age, there aren't many secrets. No reason to believe any secret offers were unseen for any of the players the Lakers signed. I'm not buying it.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, unless you are difference maker every single game then you are a NBA scrub? A dime a dozen player? Come on now. Young and Kaman are better than that.

Where did I say every single night?
I said on most nights they are not. Big difference.

Also, my original comment was on the combination of the 4, put into context as to me saying that those additions would prove to be basically meaningless for this season because I don't anticipate the Lakers to even make the playoffs.

I guess at this point Ill go with I'm right until they prove me wrong.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tell me what any players incentive would be to take less from the Lakers this year when everybody knows they will more then likely looking for the same types of contracts next year to fill out the roster.

Because they wanted to play for the Lakers. They are from here. Went to high school and college here. I guess that was incentive enough for them to take less money.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cause they wanted to play for the Lakers. They are from here. Went to high school and college here. I guess that was incentive enough for them to take less money.

it's called envy from Lakers' haters.....can't stand the fact that players want to don the purple and gold....wait until next years' FA crop then they'll shit in their pants, LOL

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cause they wanted to play for the Lakers. They are from here. Went to high school and college here. I guess that was incentive enough for them to take less money.

it's called envy from Lakers' haters.....can't stand the fact that players want to don the purple and gold....wait until next years' FA crop then they'll shit in their pants, LOL

What are you talking about? I never said players won't choose L.A. under most circumstances, all being equal.

I'm saying there was no reason or is there any proof to say that any players the Lakers signed this off season had any other offers or any incentive at all to sign there for a discount.

To further the point about the current state of the Lakers, the #1 FA ( by far) who actually had incentive to stay there, chose to leave.

In addition, please tell me why Clark left?

As far as next years FA class, subtract the Heat Big 3 and other restricted players, and the pickings are actually pretty slim.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Young opt out when he can for sure be a Laker for another year?:lol:

What will happen us he will put up decent numbers like Clark did and be off to the highest bidder.
Same thing he would have done this year except there was no higher bidder.

That's purely a guess on your part. Both Young and his agent said he signed with the Lakers for less money. Young is already a proven player. He doesn't need to springboard this season into a bigger contract like Clark did. Clark never had a real opportunity to play until last season. Even then, he was good for a couple months then dropped off the charts. You are overrating him by making a big deal of him signing elsewhere.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying there was no reason or is there any proof to say that any players the
Lakers signed this off season had any other offers or any incentive at all to
sign there for a discount.

Did you not understand the part that these players are from Los Angeles, they went to high school and college in Los Angeles, and they wanted to play for the Lakers organization. Those aren't good enough reasons for you for why they took less money to sign with the Lakers?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For someone to profess that the Lakers mean little or nothing, someone sure spends an inordinate amount of time on Lakers pages.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they wanted to play for the Lakers. They are from here. Went to high school and college here. I guess that was incentive enough for them to take less money.

When Nick Young signed with the Lakers, many felt that his hometown ties were ultimately the biggest factor in his decision to sign a two-year deal worth roughly $2.3 million dollars.
Young grew up in the city and played both high school and college basketball in the area, so in a sense coming home for a pay-cut would seem like the most logical decision, right? Not exactly.
According to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News, coming back home to family and friends wasn’t the main attraction for Young to play for the Lakers. He was actually more intrigued with the idea of having an opportunity to contribute. As a matter of fact, the Lakers and Young expressed mutual interest last season, but Young wasn’t keen on a minimal bench role.
“They had Dwight [Howard], [Steve] Nash and Antawn Jamison,” Young said in an interview with the Los Angeles Daily News recently after playing in the Drew League at King-Drew Magnet High School in downtown Los Angeles. “I didn’t want to just be another guy on the bench. I felt like I wouldn’t have been a good fit.”
Young indicated that he received interest from multiple teams including the Sacramento Kings and the Dallas Mavericks, but never envisioned a defined role for himself with those franchises. With the Lakers, he feels that he is in the perfect place to take his career to the next level.
Surely it will be a challenge for Young to adjust to the demands that come with playing for a storied franchise like the Lakers, but he has the confidence in himself that he will live up to expectations.

So to sum it all up, he didn't comeback because it was L.A., he came for the opportunity.
Also, INTEREST isn't offers, just like I have been saying.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Independent, unbiased, analysis of Kaman is:

Fantasy AnalysisAt 31, Kaman is no longer anything close to the all-star performer he once was, especially due to injuries. Kaman played in just 66 games last season, and has missed at least 16 games in three straight seasons. Kaman could play more for the Lakers than he did last season, when he averaged just 20.7 minutes per game, but Fantasy owners should still not expect much. He is a low-end Fantasy option at this point in his career, and should only be looked at in the later rounds on Draft Day.
(Updated 7/18/13).

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For someone to profess that the Lakers mean little or nothing, someone sure spends an inordinate amount of time on Lakers pages.

I never said the Lakers mean little or nothing as far as the history of the NBA. They are IMO the #1 all time franchise.

They just currently aren't very good.

This board is almost entirely Lakers/Heat, and there hasn't been anything Heat going on, so Laker talk wins by default.

I don't watch baseball and we still have several weeks to CFB.

When the conversation gets down to the level of worrying about the 4 FA's the Lakers signed, in essence, we are just killing time.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nick Young signed with the Lakers, many felt that his hometown ties were ultimately the biggest factor in his decision to sign a two-year deal worth roughly $2.3 million dollars.
Young grew up in the city and played both high school and college basketball in the area, so in a sense coming home for a pay-cut would seem like the most logical decision, right? Not exactly.
According to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News, coming back home to family and friends wasn’t the main attraction for Young to play for the Lakers. He was actually more intrigued with the idea of having an opportunity to contribute. As a matter of fact, the Lakers and Young expressed mutual interest last season, but Young wasn’t keen on a minimal bench role.
“They had Dwight [Howard], [Steve] Nash and Antawn Jamison,” Young said in an interview with the Los Angeles Daily News recently after playing in the Drew League at King-Drew Magnet High School in downtown Los Angeles. “I didn’t want to just be another guy on the bench. I felt like I wouldn’t have been a good fit.”
Young indicated that he received interest from multiple teams including the Sacramento Kings and the Dallas Mavericks, but never envisioned a defined role for himself with those franchises. With the Lakers, he feels that he is in the perfect place to take his career to the next level.
Surely it will be a challenge for Young to adjust to the demands that come with playing for a storied franchise like the Lakers, but he has the confidence in himself that he will live up to expectations.

So to sum it all up, he didn't comeback because it was L.A., he came for the opportunity.

Why would a team make an offer to someone who doesn't want to play there? Sounds to me like Nick Young could have signed with those teams but chose not to pursue a deal.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to sum it all up, he didn't comeback because it was L.A., he came for the
opportunity.

Medina says it wasn't the main attraction. That doesn't mean it wasn't part of the equation. Young said his dream was always to play with the Lakers.

How do you know there wasn't contract discussions with these interested teams? You don't. His agent indicated that he could of got more money elsewhere.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Independent, unbiased, analysis of Kaman is:

Fantasy AnalysisAt 31, Kaman is no longer anything close to the all-star performer he once was, especially due to injuries. Kaman played in just 66 games last season, and has missed at least 16 games in three straight seasons. Kaman could play more for the Lakers than he did last season, when he averaged just 20.7 minutes per game, but Fantasy owners should still not expect much. He is a low-end Fantasy option at this point in his career, and should only be looked at in the later rounds on Draft Day.
(Updated 7/18/13).

This is a fantasy basketball analysis :lol:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a team make an offer to someone who doesn't want to play there? Sounds to me like Nick Young could have signed with those teams but chose not to pursue a deal.

"It's great for Nick and great for the Lakers," Young's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told the Los Angeles Times. "He could've waited and got more money in the free-agent market, but his dream has always been to play for the Lakers."

That's what agents say, but it's bullshit. It isn't like the Lakers offer was going to be pulled.

Could have waited means there were no offers because the other teams were exploring other options.

“I didn’t want to sit around and wait on what was going to happen,” Young said. “I felt like this would be a good opportunity.”

Status
Not open for further replies.