• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Foles!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For several reasons i don't that applies here. It references last final league year as well as extension of existing contracts. Its a common practice for players with new contracts to have salaries that go up more than 30 percent in a year.

I thought that you said goodbye last week?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the way the numbers are being reported, we really have no idea what they are going to save on Daniels deal. I seriously doubt they would have granted him his wish without redoing his contract to get rid of the salary guarantee this year. SO who knows at this point. I do know this if they find a player they want they will figure a way to get him in under the cap.

This!

Other teams have been doing it for years. At least to this point it looks like Howie gets how to do it.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See.....the team knew this clause existed. Either way we should see some cap benefit this year. But Howie still made sure to sign the new #2 QB before making the cut decision. I am impressed so far. I admit it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles is a definite upgrade over Daniel. He's a better fit as a #2 - has past starting experience and can spot start if needed without issues. He's only been a letdown when teams view him as the main guy.

I thought the whole "player coach" thing w/Daniel was a bit overrated; I understand why they felt it was necessary to do it at the time because you didn't know what to expect w/ Wentz, but Wentz is as sharp as they come and didn't look like he had any issues whatsoever conceptualizing the offense even from the start of the season. Thus Daniel became expendable and the Birds saw an opportunity to upgrade QB2 w/ Foles.
Daniels may have played a significant part of that. Guys that understand the offense are valuable. That's why you see almost all coaches bring guys they are familiar with to their new teams.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This!

Other teams have been doing it for years. At least to this point it looks like Howie gets how to do it.

Yeah its not hard to do. Just convert current salary to signing bonus and the dollars fet spread into future years as they did with Ertz last week. Players love doing it as they get the money right away and it raises their cap numbers which make them harder to cut.

Thw tradoff is less future cap and more locked into the current players.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that cynical sentiment (I'm there with you), but I have to believe (I really have to believe, for my own sanity) that all of us *educated* fans have seen through Foles' "first" season as a "Chip's 1st Season" anomaly. That said, he showed some competence, which is what we can hope for/expect for a #2. Give me Mahomes in the 6-7th (he's going to drop, IMO) and trade Daniel (for Mahomes, basically), then we are good to go.

it was said half tongue in cheek and more so for a laugh... however, the sad part is... people will turn on Wentz just given a little bit of time. It seems to happy in PHI more than anywhere else. It's sad to say, but there is a reason Jaws says the most loved player in PHI is the backup quarterback. People turned on TO despite him helping us get to the damn SB of all things and then making a heroic effort to get healthy for it beyond his dr's recommendations. Work ethic, performance and physical - he should have been a phi love story. People turned on Cunningham in the day; on mcnabb; on westbrook; on McCoy on djackson, on Cox, on peters. It's like people can't wait to be the first to say we should get rid of the best players we have. It gets old and i'm going to hate saying I told you so when it happens inside the next 2 years.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles' Cap Hit this year will only be 1.6 mil; up to 7.6 in 2018. If cut or traded they get back 2.2 of that 7.6 in cap space.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles' Cap Hit this year will only be 1.6 mil; up to 7.6 in 2018. If cut or traded they get back 2.2 of that 7.6 in cap space.

looks like a 2 year rental until contract is redone or cut then. ridiculous to pay the backup 7.6.

From what I read the average starting salary of a backup quarterback is less than 2 mil. Last year the highest paid were 5 mil by (Yes, the eagle and browns - great company there).

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. We'll see. There aren't a lot of good backups out there.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like a 2 year rental until contract is redone or cut then. ridiculous to pay the backup 7.6.

From what I read the average starting salary of a backup quarterback is less than 2 mil. Last year the highest paid were 5 mil by (Yes, the eagle and browns - great company there).

The good ones cost more than 2.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good ones cost more than 2.
not very many of them do. Avg is 1.8. And if your a SB contending team it makes sense. If your not, it's a waste.

And foles is NOT a proven commodity to justify it. Neither was chase. But in all fairness I think he was brought in to start thinking Brad would go down.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not very many of them do. Avg is 1.8. And if your a SB contending team it makes sense. If your not, it's a waste.

And foles is NOT a proven commodity to justify it. Neither was chase. But in all fairness I think he was brought in to start thinking Brad would go down.

The avg couldn't be more irrelevant.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brad?

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The avg couldn't be more irrelevant.

since when does knowing a market value in a cap era become irrelevant??

We massively overpaid Chase

If Foles gets to those numbers in 2 years, that will be even worse.

It suggests it is a 2 year deal. It's relevant.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since when does knowing a market value in a cap era become irrelevant??

We massively overpaid Chase

If Foles gets to those numbers in 2 years, that will be even worse.

It suggests it is a 2 year deal. It's relevant.

The league average. Not the contract average. Although that can many times be meaningless as well.