• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Kraken Jokes in Seattle

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my question is hockey fans which Leiweke hasn't answered. Say they get awarded the franchise which sounds like it will happen, what happens when the arena isn't completely by the fall of 2020?
Good question. Tacoma Dome maybe? I have no idea what it holds for Hockey though.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. Tacoma Dome maybe? I have no idea what it holds for Hockey though.

It was fine for the WHL back in the day, but so was Key Arena so not sure. I just keep hearing the 2020 season and if they don't break ground until the end of October they are massively pushing it IMO. 1 1/2 years is an awfully tight window to finish a project this size.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fine for the WHL back in the day, but so was Key Arena so not sure. I just keep hearing the 2020 season and if they don't break ground until the end of October they are massively pushing it IMO. 1 1/2 years is an awfully tight window to finish a project this size.
The Husky Stadium renovation was pretty massive, they got it done. There'll be enough incentive, and money, to get it done on time.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Husky Stadium renovation was pretty massive, they got it done. There'll be enough incentive, and money, to get it done on time.

I don't know dude, the renovation with Husky Stadium seems alot easier than what they have to do at Seattle Center where he promised to build a brand new arena while keeping the roof and they can't just move the roof to some other location while they build it. They can't implode the existing arena because of the roof. That's what has bugged me with the entire proposal, is they've offered and got the arena approved with the we'll figure out everything else later. I know I am bias because I loathe Leiweke but, just to me, 1 1/2 years is way to ambitious for that location.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know dude, the renovation with Husky Stadium seems alot easier than what they have to do at Seattle Center where he promised to build a brand new arena while keeping the roof and they can't just move the roof to some other location while they build it. They can't implode the existing arena because of the roof. That's what has bugged me with the entire proposal, is they've offered and got the arena approved with the we'll figure out everything else later. I know I am bias because I loathe Leiweke but, just to me, 1 1/2 years is way to ambitious for that location.
Roofs aren't much of a hindrance unless you're re-doing anything structurally (and leaving the roof in place is actually one less problem they have to deal with - roofers tend to take a lot of space and time). This reno is basically gutting the interior (which should take a week or two at most, collectively) and then starting from scratch within. As long as there are large enough access openings to move equipment and material into the building this shouldn't take more than 2 years to complete.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 26,000 season ticket holder deposits made in one hour yesterday... How many were scalpers I wonder?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roofs aren't much of a hindrance unless you're re-doing anything structurally (and leaving the roof in place is actually one less problem they have to deal with - roofers tend to take a lot of space and time). This reno is basically gutting the interior (which should take a week or two at most, collectively) and then starting from scratch within. As long as there are large enough access openings to move equipment and material into the building this shouldn't take more than 2 years to complete.

I have no question it is possible and will happen, but according to Leiweke, there isn't anything structurally that will be the same. Granted, they still haven't finalized the actual arena blueprints. All I am saying is the timeline for the 2020 season seems ambitious as they aren't starting construction until the earliest late October. So just my main question is where the NHL team will play until the arena is completed or would the NHL push it back until 2021? Just me thinking out loud on the interweb.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing not torn down and built from the ground up was the structure of the south side stands. I don't know the difference between rebuilding an arena vs a big outdoor stadium, but it definitely seems doable, then factor in the money the contractors are sure to lose out on if they don't meet their deadlines. Stuff can always happen and I guess there's no way to 100% guarantee a massive project like that will go as planned, but it just doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

But to get back to your question, I tried finding seating capacity for the Tacoma dome's hockey set up, it was a lazy search, but couldn't find anything since it doesn't currently host a hockey team. Did say it holds almost 21k for indoor soccer, guessing it'd be a similar setup. I don't know the NHL's capacity requirement either. Shockingly, thinking back, I never went to a hockey game there. But they had that minor league team, or semi pro team, or whatever they were play there in the late 90s in addition to the WHL team. It's the only indoor stadium in the area that seems like it could come close to working if it absolutely had to.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
So 26,000 season ticket holder deposits made in one hour yesterday... How many were scalpers I wonder?

to be fair (reported), deposits are fully refundable, and pricing hasn't even be released yet.
a bit dif't than Vegas or Winnipeg.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing not torn down and built from the ground up was the structure of the south side stands. I don't know the difference between rebuilding an arena vs a big outdoor stadium, but it definitely seems doable, then factor in the money the contractors are sure to lose out on if they don't meet their deadlines. Stuff can always happen and I guess there's no way to 100% guarantee a massive project like that will go as planned, but it just doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

But to get back to your question, I tried finding seating capacity for the Tacoma dome's hockey set up, it was a lazy search, but couldn't find anything since it doesn't currently host a hockey team. Did say it holds almost 21k for indoor soccer, guessing it'd be a similar setup. I don't know the NHL's capacity requirement either. Shockingly, thinking back, I never went to a hockey game there. But they had that minor league team, or semi pro team, or whatever they were play there in the late 90s in addition to the WHL team. It's the only indoor stadium in the area that seems like it could come close to working if it absolutely had to.

Husky Stadium square footage is huge and able to park large machinary inside or right outside. Outside of the Key Arena there is literally nowhere to keep the equipment. I have zero doubt it will work but logistically it seems difficult to get it done by should be latest June of 2020. Being over budget, which without question it will is also a concern of (mine, though I'm not a resident in the city limits) Leiweke has promised to pay for it, yet no particulars have come out and highly doubt OVG is going to foot a billion dollar arena without getting something residents don't know until after the fact (ST3 style)

I went to a few Rockets games back in the day as a kid, but don't know the difference between minor league and NHL capacity rules. I'd actually love it if they did play a year in Tacoma and think it would benefit the team as it gives South Sound residents (which make up half of Seahawks attendance) a chance to fall in love with the sport while dealing with better traffic. I just know there isn't a possible way I can attend a weekday game without taking gameday and the next off and that's why I hate the location.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no question it is possible and will happen, but according to Leiweke, there isn't anything structurally that will be the same. Granted, they still haven't finalized the actual arena blueprints. All I am saying is the timeline for the 2020 season seems ambitious as they aren't starting construction until the earliest late October. So just my main question is where the NHL team will play until the arena is completed or would the NHL push it back until 2021? Just me thinking out loud on the interweb.
I assume you mean architecturally because the roof wouldn't stay up if the rest of the structure was knocked down.

But as long as they get going by the end of this summer, they have all the time in the world. Just for comparison, they totally renovated the interior of Madison Square Garden in less than 2 years and kept playing host to Knicks and Rangers games along with concerts etc.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like something that's been talked about as long as I have been a hockey fan (Since 1990) is finally happening. Congrats to Seattle, certainly a deserving team for Team 32 in the NHL.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you mean architecturally because the roof wouldn't stay up if the rest of the structure was knocked down.

But as long as they get going by the end of this summer, they have all the time in the world. Just for comparison, they totally renovated the interior of Madison Square Garden in less than 2 years and kept playing host to Knicks and Rangers games along with concerts etc.

But that is what was promised, proposed and approved by Leiweke and the city. To knock down the entire arena, completely build a new one. Somehow they have to raise the roof and do all the construction underneath that. I'm not an engineer but I've just seen how delayed condo's have been within Seattle and they haven't had to deal with as big of a building while having to keep the roof.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that is what was promised, proposed and approved by Leiweke and the city. To knock down the entire arena, completely build a new one. Somehow they have to raise the roof and do all the construction underneath that. I'm not an engineer but I've just seen how delayed condo's have been within Seattle and they haven't had to deal with as big of a building while having to keep the roof.
K I looked it up. All they're proposing is a dig-down to lower the bowl while leaving the structure above intact.

High-rise construction is very different, even moreso when it comes to residential - builders usually wait until the building is 90% or so sold before proceeding with their construction schedule, and condos usually require at the very least 3 underground levels which means a hell of a lot more excavation/shoring and formwork (activities that are notoriously prone to delays - keep in mind the more you dig the tougher the job becomes), not to mention finishes for 300+ units. Inclement weather (something Seattle is very prone to) can slow down production too, something you don't need to worry about under a roof.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K I looked it up. All they're proposing is a dig-down to lower the bowl while leaving the structure above intact.

High-rise construction is very different, even moreso when it comes to residential - builders usually wait until the building is 90% or so sold before proceeding with their construction schedule, and condos usually require at the very least 3 underground levels which means a hell of a lot more excavation/shoring and formwork (activities that are notoriously prone to delays - keep in mind the more you dig the tougher the job becomes), not to mention finishes for 300+ units. Inclement weather (something Seattle is very prone to) can slow down production too, something you don't need to worry about under a roof.

That's where everything is confusing and why they haven't actually finished the architectural design. All we know is they are going to dig down and keep the roof. The first renovation of Key Arena took 1 1/2 years but was done on the cheap and contracted space instead of creating space. Leiweke keeps saying it is not a renovation, which means a new building, that's what the city council has repeated as well. If they keep the bones of the building which he has been repeatedly asked it is a renovation. Maybe we are all being fooled and they are doing a salesman job. I get what you are saying with the condo's and that's how it works throughout the rest of our state but they have been building condo's unsold since Amazon became Amazon. There are more people coming in to work at Amazon, Expedia and TMobile than there are available living spaces. Once any blueprint is finalized a condo is bought up, or the day a house goes on sell in the city limits it is bought.

Like I said, I'm not an expert on anything of and just am a skeptic on Leiweke on essentially everything. And was just curious what hockey fans think would happen if it isn't completely done by the summer of 2020. They gave the impression 2012 they wouldn't be willing to play at the Key Arena while the other proposed building was built so just curious if a temporary home is acceptable now.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not a fan of renovating Key Arena, but obviously that's what the city politicians want to do. As a hockey fan on Vancouver Island, it's a short jaunt down to Seattle to watch a game, so in the words of Larry the Cable Guy, get 'er done.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husky Stadium square footage is huge and able to park large machinary inside or right outside. Outside of the Key Arena there is literally nowhere to keep the equipment. I have zero doubt it will work but logistically it seems difficult to get it done by should be latest June of 2020. Being over budget, which without question it will is also a concern of (mine, though I'm not a resident in the city limits) Leiweke has promised to pay for it, yet no particulars have come out and highly doubt OVG is going to foot a billion dollar arena without getting something residents don't know until after the fact (ST3 style)

I went to a few Rockets games back in the day as a kid, but don't know the difference between minor league and NHL capacity rules. I'd actually love it if they did play a year in Tacoma and think it would benefit the team as it gives South Sound residents (which make up half of Seahawks attendance) a chance to fall in love with the sport while dealing with better traffic. I just know there isn't a possible way I can attend a weekday game without taking gameday and the next off and that's why I hate the location.

Whatever it's worth I absolutely get not liking the Key Arena plan. It's a shitty location, even shittier not knowing if that Western Ave exit is gonna be a thing with the tunnel and no viaduct in the future. I just want a hockey team, if this is gonna be the option that makes it happen so be it.

Also, I wouldn't mind them playing in Tacoma either. Really don't see it though, no way they'll debut the new NHL team in that dump (Tacoma dome).

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maybe russian bots too :thumb: ... Liewieke in the cesspool said they will be able to determine if there were group purchases and if there were any they will be voided

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barzal ... who will be claimed in the expansion draft alledgedly ... wins the cup for seattle lol

/I guess thats former Tri Cities pxp guy Ian Furness audition tape for the seattle gig

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe russian bots too :thumb: ... Liewieke in the cesspool said they will be able to determine if there were group purchases and if there were any they will be voided

i should say ... group purchases by ticket brokers