• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL's Lack Of Loyalty And TV Ratings

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL teams need more revenue in order to pay the astronomical salaries of the players. Evidently the players aren't loyal to the fans either by signing with any team that will throw money at them.

Don't believe the hype! Of the 4 major pro sports leagues, NFL players still fare the worst.

I guess you've forgotten when teams owned players rights forever...the NFL was the last major sport to embrace Free Agency and even then it was plan B and even today with the tag rights teams can still control you for 2-3 seasons after you fulfill the Free Agency clock..

With the rookie the scale like it is now...top 19 1st rd picks, your contract is guaranteed and you should be set for life financially...but in terms of pro sports, you don't make real money until your 2nd contract. Speaking of real money...it's still rare for a player (non QB or OL) to see all of the contract cash.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the NFL for the next deal isn't looking more towards moving everything Online. They already have a system set up on NFL.com to handle it. They've worked with Twitter and Yahoo both in the past to have games streamed live legally online to some decent success. Just seems to be the way things are going. Heck baseball has gone to that of you can buy a package deal to be able to watch your team or all teams depending on how much you want to spend. So you pay $150 for the entire season to watch your team live or whatever the price would be. Gives fans that don't live in the market a much better situation instead of just hoping their team has a prime time game so they are on locally.

Streaming NFL games is the wave of the future, but they will milk the TV cow one more time before they're ready to cut the cord imo entirely.

I streamed LY via NFL.com (their stream partner is DigitalDirect TV I think) and it's not totally ready yet. I have 50 mps down and most of the time the action was smooth, but it could still get choppy. I can't imagine 18mps (which I what I have here at work)....480p rez is about what I achieved.

Not bad, and I plan on doing it again this season ($40 Sept thru Dec) but it's not ready to replace TV yet imo.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a Raiders fan and they'd divorced me twice I'd be hard pressed to stay loyal.

The Chargers thing is just simply wrong. Never quite understood the Cards moving, but when the Rams left St Louise too.....

And in the end, the only city that got a sympathy fuck was Cleveland....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Streaming NFL games is the wave of the future, but they will milk the TV cow one more time before they're ready to cut the cord imo entirely.

I streamed LY via NFL.com (their stream partner is DigitalDirect TV I think) and it's not totally ready yet. I have 50 mps down and most of the time the action was smooth, but it could still get choppy. I can't imagine 18mps (which I what I have here at work)....480p rez is about what I achieved.

Not bad, and I plan on doing it again this season ($40 Sept thru Dec) but it's not ready to replace TV yet imo.

There will still be too many people with old school TVs who they'd lose if they put it all on line.

I hate the thought of everything streaming....

I love my Sunday Ticket. $150. No problems, all the games. Nothing is better that is currently available on this side of the ditch.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will still be too many people with old school TVs who they'd lose if they put it all on line.

I love my Sunday Ticket. $150. No problems, all the games. Nothing is better that is currently available on this side of the ditch.

IDT the NFL will ever turn away from the networks completely, but when they see a chance for incremental revenue they will jump on it more.

You're getting a great deal on the TKT...I'm a big NFL head as you probably know, but I'm only willing to pay extra for PIT games. The last year I had it I paid about $240...considering at already getting 8 to 9 Steeler games on local TV...I decided to bag it. The DTV retention dept has called, emailed and mailed and even offered the Tkt for free again...nah, I'm okay, thanks.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDT the NFL will ever turn away from the networks completely, but when they see a chance for incremental revenue they will jump on it more.

You're getting a great deal on the TKT...I'm a big NFL head as you probably know, but I'm only willing to pay extra for PIT games. The last year I had it I paid about $240...considering at already getting 8 to 9 Steeler games on local TV...I decided to bag it. The DTV retention dept has called, emailed and mailed and even offered the Tkt for free again...nah, I'm okay, thanks.

I watch all games that matter.

And some that didn't when the day started but turned into a slobberknocker..

But I really like being able to see any game I want with zero fuss and muss...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch all games that matter.

And some that didn't when the day started but turned into a slobberknocker..

But I really like being able to see any game I want with zero fuss and muss...

That was me at one time...now I watched the Steeler games and the Falcons...maybe the 4p game if its a good one and I'm hit or miss on the Thurs, Mon, Sun night.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been three teams move in the last year. Is there any correlation between the NFL's lack of loyalty and TV ratings? St. Louis has had two "teams" move away from their town. Baltimore Colts, remember them? The Raiders have proven they don't care about their fans.

Jerry Jones and company have never cared about fans......only money.
They just don't get it.
Do us all a favor and quit being a Cowboys/NFL Fan, since Jerry and company are so fucking bad.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do us all a favor and quit being a Cowboys/NFL Fan, since Jerry and company are so fucking bad.

Where did it say, you have to read or respond to my posts?

You Jerry Jone's organ tuners are all alike.
Jerry Jones fired a head coach who had just won two consecutive Super Bowls and who was the REAL GM of the COWBOYS. What does that tell you?

22 years.....maybe you enjoy incompetence....I don't

And maybe you enjoy paying higher and higher prices for the NFL, when the owners are billionaires.
Owners are killing the goose that lay the golden eggs.

10 NFL teams have moved in the last 40 years.
Owners want us to be mindlessly loyal to a team when they don't give a rats behind about fans.

In 2016 NFL salaries

....Brandon Carr got 10.22 mil........ONE INT
Colin Kaepernick...15.89 mil
Jay Cutler ..17 mil
Victor Cruz..9.9 mil
Drew Brees....30 mil
Ndamukong Suh..28.6 mil
and Tony Romo only made 5.2 mil per pass attempt

in 2017.....Mike Glennon .....14.5 mil......he may be worth it

There were loyal fans who supported these teams. What do you say to them?
Baltimore Colts..........Johnny U
St.Louis Cardinals.....Jim Hart...Roy Green......Terry Metcalf..Don Coryell
Cleveland Browns.......Jim Brown
Houston Oilers.....Earl Campbell
Oakland Raiders Twice.....The Snake
St.Louis Rams.....Kurt Warner
L.A. Rams
San Diego Chargers......Lance Alworth

In baseball; There are some Chicago Cub's regular season games where bleacher seats are going for $120+ a piece.

Jason Heyward of the Chicago Cubs got $173,333 per hit in 2016
And he got $35,403 per plate appearance.

and the NFL owners are getting a $167,000,000+ check before the season starts......

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that Fantasy Football has ruined specific fandom from a couple of my friends. They no longer follow their "home" teams, teams they grew up rooting for, but instead just follow players.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did it say, you have to read or respond to my posts?

You Jerry Jone's organ tuners are all alike.
Jerry Jones fired a head coach who had just won two consecutive Super Bowls and who was the REAL GM of the COWBOYS. What does that tell you?

22 years.....maybe you enjoy incompetence....I don't

And maybe you enjoy paying higher and higher prices for the NFL, when the owners are billionaires.
Owners are killing the goose that lay the golden eggs.

10 NFL teams have moved in the last 40 years.
Owners want us to be mindlessly loyal to a team when they don't give a rats behind about fans.

In 2016 NFL salaries

....Brandon Carr got 10.22 mil........ONE INT
Colin Kaepernick...15.89 mil
Jay Cutler ..17 mil
Victor Cruz..9.9 mil
Drew Brees....30 mil
Ndamukong Suh..28.6 mil
and Tony Romo only made 5.2 mil per pass attempt

in 2017.....Mike Glennon .....14.5 mil......he may be worth it

There were loyal fans who supported these teams. What do you say to them?
Baltimore Colts..........Johnny U
St.Louis Cardinals.....Jim Hart...Roy Green......Terry Metcalf..Don Coryell
Cleveland Browns.......Jim Brown
Houston Oilers.....Earl Campbell
Oakland Raiders Twice.....The Snake
St.Louis Rams.....Kurt Warner
L.A. Rams
San Diego Chargers......Lance Alworth

In baseball; There are some Chicago Cub's regular season games where bleacher seats are going for $120+ a piece.

Jason Heyward of the Chicago Cubs got $173,333 per hit in 2016
And he got $35,403 per plate appearance.

and the NFL owners are getting a $167,000,000+ check before the season starts......
I can and will respond where and when I want to. If you think Jerry doesn't want to win more than just make money, your a bigger fool than I already thought you were.
Yes Jerry has made bad deals but those deals surely weren't about saving money now were they. As for Johnson, yes it sucked the way it went down, but it was EGO,s on both sides that led to this. It wasn't just Jerry.

Besides the Browns fans and maybe Baltimore thise other teams were having hard times filling their stadium. Those cities and it's fans shoulder some of the blame.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think cities should own the sports teams personally... NO TEAM is immune from this happening.. Accept the Green Bay Packers ... Packers have the best ownership model ...

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51% of all Americans, make less than ($30,000 annually), what Jason Heyward makes in ONE plate appearance. ($35,000)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51% of all Americans, make less than ($30,000 annually), what Jason Heyward makes in ONE plate appearance. ($35,000)
99% of Americans can't hit a curve ball or get a jump on a fly.

Do something special and you'll be paid in turn.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, and ss long as we are willing to pay to see these guys play the game, they're gonna get paid. For those bitching about pro athletes salaries if you like it stop watching.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe the hype! Of the 4 major pro sports leagues, NFL players still fare the worst.

I guess you've forgotten when teams owned players rights forever...the NFL was the last major sport to embrace Free Agency and even then it was plan B and even today with the tag rights teams can still control you for 2-3 seasons after you fulfill the Free Agency clock..

With the rookie the scale like it is now...top 19 1st rd picks, your contract is guaranteed and you should be set for life financially...but in terms of pro sports, you don't make real money until your 2nd contract. Speaking of real money...it's still rare for a player (non QB or OL) to see all of the contract cash.
Yes but you need to factor in they play in only 8 home games. Owners need to capitalize on them for revenue. Likewise I'd rather play in the NFL. 16 games a year unlike MLB 162 and BB/Hockey with 80/82. Not a bad way to earn a pretty good salary even on a first contract.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with that is, then you're stuck with DirecTV. And for many people, myself included, that is a non-starter.

Had Sunday Ticket for 2 years a while back when the price was $250+ (don't remember exactly but it was more expensive than $150 by a bit), when my family had sat TV. It's great, but with the streaming options available these days, it's an unnecessary burden to pay for it and then turn around and get price gouged by DirecTV. As soon as Fios became available that dish was gone, and so was Sunday Ticket. Never really looked back.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jason Heyward can't hit a curve ball either. And that outfield defense will slip long before his contract is up. Gonna have a real good laugh at that contract in another 3 years when Hayward doesn't opt-out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but you need to factor in they play in only 8 home games. Owners need to capitalize on them for revenue. Likewise I'd rather play in the NFL. 16 games a year unlike MLB 162 and BB/Hockey with 80/82. Not a bad way to earn a pretty good salary even on a first contract.

Brian Jordan played MLB and NFL...works in the sports media here in ATL...he said the MLB season is a grind, but it's nothing compared to the NFL. He said for the rank and file player, the MLB life is considerably easier and better paid. For superstar NFL players, MLB players it's a lot closer in terms of quality of life and pay.

Think about it...these guys used to play two games in a day...vs 1 NFL game every 7 days.

A lot of NFL players today said they would steer their kids into other sports.

Don't get me wrong though...3 yr NFL career or 9 to 5...I'm taking the 3 yr NFL career.