• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL's Lack Of Loyalty And TV Ratings

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been three teams move in the last year. Is there any correlation between the NFL's lack of loyalty and TV ratings? St. Louis has had two "teams" move away from their town. Baltimore Colts, remember them? The Raiders have proven they don't care about their fans.

Jerry Jones and company have never cared about fans......only money.
They just don't get it.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhh in the mid 90s

LA Rams Moved to St Louis
LA Raiders Moved to Oakland
Houston Oilers Moved to Tennessee
Cleveland Browns Moved to Baltimore

How did those Moves effect the Ratings?
All Time Highs...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today's world where most people watch from home anyway I don't think location is as big of a deal as maybe in the past.

Throw in you are looking at 2 teams in the Chargers and Raiders that have had some of the worst fan support at least in ticket sales in the NFL. Both before it was deemed illegal to black out games fought hard to sell tickets just to not have that happen.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been three teams move in the last year. Is there any correlation between the NFL's lack of loyalty and TV ratings?
Depends on why a team moves.

I can't imagine this working out too well for the Chargers and Raiders. Rams will likely be LAs team but leaving STL empty and overloading LA is really stupid.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs moving would give me an excellent excuse to stop watching NFL football and just focus on Baseball and Hockey. I know that's not an issue for everyone if they move but it definitely is to me.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has L.A. ever really supported any NFL team?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been three teams move in the last year. Is there any correlation between the NFL's lack of loyalty and TV ratings? St. Louis has had two "teams" move away from their town. Baltimore Colts, remember them? The Raiders have proven they don't care about their fans.

They just don't get it.

These owners pay billions for these football teams I think they do get it.

In 2015, the Cowboys $700 mil were the highest grossing team followed by NE with $523 mil...6 more teams topped $400 mil, the balance were in the $300 mil range...not sure what the floor is, but the players cap is about $150 mil back then...Coaching staff probably $10 mil, FO and operations staff, maybe another $8 mil...then the operational expenses, stadium payments, team charters hotels, insurance. I'm sure $300 mil nets a yr to yr profit, but where they really rake it in is when they sell the team.

I think you're right that they don't care that much about the guy that can afford to buy 2 seats...that guy exists in every city. But the corporations that pony $300-$400k a yr for boxes...they don't exist in the same numbers in every city.

Revenue source.

NFL teams revenue ranking 2015 | Statistic

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
Depends on why a team moves.

I can't imagine this working out too well for the Chargers and Raiders. Rams will likely be LAs team but leaving STL empty and overloading LA is really stupid.

I think LA in the case of the Rams just got their team back...The Cardinals leaving STL for PHX I thought was stupid but it now seems to be working out.

Chargers...that one really seems forced...they had an opportunity to stay in the SD area.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think LA in the case of the Rams just got their team back...The Cardinals leaving STL for PHX I thought was stupid but it now seems to be working out.

Chargers...that one really seems forced...they had an opportunity to stay in the SD area.
Well, lots of people I know lost their team and many of them don't currently follow the NFL so the Rams moving is a bit relative. The endgame is that the numbers will look good for the NFL eventually but the Chargers thing seems really bad initially.

The disaster is the Raiders, though. Las Vegas looks like a big ol trap.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, lots of people I know lost their team and many of them don't currently follow the NFL so the Rams moving is a bit relative. The endgame is that the numbers will look good for the NFL eventually but the Chargers thing seems really bad initially.

The disaster is the Raiders, though. Las Vegas looks like a big ol trap.

I think LV will be a good spot...initially...they will have a small following from OAK that will make the trip for a year or so, and they will have good local/tourist support...15-20 yrs from now, it's hard to say...no existing model for a major league franchise.

I can't blame those fans you speak of...when the Thrashers (NHL) left ATL...what little interest I had in hockey went with them but it was mostly a gate sport for me anyway.

STL was a proven pro sports town. I really felt like PHX should've gotten the expansion franchise that went to JAX...nice town, but that's just not a pro city.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People in Phoenix aren't big time sport supporters. I grew up in Philly and it's night and day.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These owners pay billions for these football teams I think they do get it.

In 2015, the Cowboys $700 mil were the highest grossing team followed by NE with $523 mil...6 more teams topped $400 mil, the balance were in the $300 mil range...not sure what the floor is, but the players cap is about $150 mil back then...Coaching staff probably $10 mil, FO and operations staff, maybe another $8 mil...then the operational expenses, stadium payments, team charters hotels, insurance. I'm sure $300 mil nets a yr to yr profit, but where they really rake it in is when they sell the team.

I think you're right that they don't care that much about the guy that can afford to buy 2 seats...that guy exists in every city. But the corporations that pony $300-$400k a yr for boxes...they don't exist in the same numbers in every city.

Revenue source.

NFL teams revenue ranking 2015 | Statistic
I love when people think billionaires don't get it.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few cities out west that's sports crazy is DEN.

Oakland fans are totally loyal too. But I guess they dont have the big businesses chipping in. My sister lives in Oakland and shes proud the Raiders are leaving because they choose to use their monies to fund crumbling schools and not line a billionaires pocket. It sucks because Oakland, Denver have GREAT fans.

But Phoenix is the city who doesnt deserve a team. A few years ago when they were in the NFC Championship I didnt see one person wearing a Cards jersey the entire week. In Philly EVERYONE would have a jersey on before a NFC championship. All the buses would change their route destination signs to "GO EAGLES". The entire city was on edge... in Phoenix, NOTHING. I know there are some great, loyal Cardinal fans who love their team as much as any other guy, but over all it's pretty lame. But the city that is 10 times more lame than Phoenix is LA. Nobody from LA is from LA. Its not even part of the culture. Poor Raider fans. So loyal and deserve so much better.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They just don't get it.
Why are they "teams"?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland fans are totally loyal too. But I guess they dont have the big businesses chipping in. My sister lives in Oakland and shes proud the Raiders are leaving because they choose to use their monies to fund crumbling schools and not line a billionaires pocket. It sucks because Oakland, Denver have GREAT fans.

But Phoenix is the city who doesnt deserve a team. A few years ago when they were in the NFC Championship I didnt see one person wearing a Cards jersey the entire week. In Philly EVERYONE would have a jersey on before a NFC championship. All the buses would change their route destination signs to "GO EAGLES". The entire city was on edge... in Phoenix, NOTHING. I know there are some great, loyal Cardinal fans who love their team as much as any other guy, but over all it's pretty lame. But the city that is 10 times more lame than Phoenix is LA. Nobody from LA is from LA. Its not even part of the culture. Poor Raider fans. So loyal and deserve so much better.

OAK loves the Raiders, but not so much the As...always near the bottom of the league....I don't envy your sister. I'm sure OAK has some nice areas like most cities, but when you go across the bay from SF...it's a BIG difference...my brother n law lives outside Sac we've been out there a few times. I've been to OAK Alameda before...yes those are dire hard fans...I thought the old Orange Bowl in MIA was bad. LA, like most places loves a winner...lot of Laker fans there but now that they are on hard times still pretty much sell out.

Lived in Jersey, but I worked in PHILLY for 5 yrs, at the old Silo HQ off Lindbergh Blvd. Most Eagles fans are 2nd, some cases 3rd generation fans...different animal entirely from PHX.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They just don't get it.
NFL teams need more revenue in order to pay the astronomical salaries of the players. Evidently the players aren't loyal to the fans either by signing with any team that will throw money at them.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has a larger problem. Moving the LV will cause some issues TV ratings wise.

Right now, EVERY single network televising NFL games is LOSING money on them. That 9 billion they kick in to the league to get broadcast rights isn't getting earned back in revenue with ads.

So either they'll have to start showing more commercials or find some other way to make money - but moving a franchise to the what, 42nd best market is NOT going to help.

At some point this is going to catch up to the league. Ratings are already falling off. Soon a major network is going to simply drop football for something more affordable programming wise.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has a larger problem. Moving the LV will cause some issues TV ratings wise.

Right now, EVERY single network televising NFL games is LOSING money on them. That 9 billion they kick in to the league to get broadcast rights isn't getting earned back in revenue with ads.

So either they'll have to start showing more commercials or find some other way to make money - but moving a franchise to the what, 42nd best market is NOT going to help.

At some point this is going to catch up to the league. Ratings are already falling off. Soon a major network is going to simply drop football for something more affordable programming wise.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the NFL for the next deal isn't looking more towards moving everything Online. They already have a system set up on NFL.com to handle it. They've worked with Twitter and Yahoo both in the past to have games streamed live legally online to some decent success. Just seems to be the way things are going. Heck baseball has gone to that of you can buy a package deal to be able to watch your team or all teams depending on how much you want to spend. So you pay $150 for the entire season to watch your team live or whatever the price would be. Gives fans that don't live in the market a much better situation instead of just hoping their team has a prime time game so they are on locally.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The drop in TV ratings is not a sign of losing popularity. It's a sign that those measuring the ratings aren't including game streams on the internet.