• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFLneeds to eliminate spot fouls

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the cheesy PI call's they make on defenses, at the very least the NFL needs to eliminate spot fouls... Just like the 5 yard illegal contact call, Pi's should be the same way.... And I don't want to hear the argument then DB's will just hold if there beat ... SO BE IT... It's still giving up a free 1st down and a 5 yard penalty... I"m tired of offenses not earning points...

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think spot fouls should still be in the rules but used WAY less. It should be:

Hand on player or run into them: 5 yards

Blatant/essentially tackling the player: spot foul

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think spot fouls should still be in the rules but used WAY less. It should be:

Hand on player or run into them: 5 yards

Blatant/essentially tackling the player: spot foul

Most call's we see are far from blatant ... That's why the spot foul just kill's a defense... DB is the hardest position in the NFL now-day's

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would see a lot more muggings.

And leaving it to the discretion of the ref would be a bad idea, as well.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would see a lot more muggings.

And leaving it to the discretion of the ref would be a bad idea, as well.

Free 1st down then... Just like illegal contact... If a DB mugs someone so be it, he just cost his defense a free 1st down... If it's and obvious grab then make it a stiffer penalty...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the cheesy PI call's they make on defenses, at the very least the NFL needs to eliminate spot fouls... Just like the 5 yard illegal contact call, Pi's should be the same way.... And I don't want to hear the argument then DB's will just hold if there beat ... SO BE IT... It's still giving up a free 1st down and a 5 yard penalty... I"m tired of offenses not earning points...

Not...don't give them a crutch...spot fouls need to stay in play...officials just need to get better at calling PI.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree.

If the DB is beat on a 70 yard bomb and he interferes it's the smart thing to do as it gets him off the hook for a TD and only moves the ball a few yards in the penalty.

That's why they do it the way they do.

It benefits all QB's equally - that includes Russell Wilson.

One can argue - and will - that if the DB didn't interfere with the catch, it would have been for a TD (or big yardage).

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not...don't give them a crutch...spot fouls need to stay in play...officials just need to get better at calling PI.

Make any penalty fifteen yards of more available to challenge as if it were a play.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make any penalty fifteen yards of more available to challenge as if it were a play.

Not "any"...that will cause too many delays....Much like a charge in the NBA...PI is always going to be a judgement call and should be left to officials imo...that said...even though I don't foresee many being overturned...I wouldn't mind the HC being able to challenge it...no additional challenges though.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not "any"...that will cause too many delays....Much like a charge in the NBA...PI is always going to be a judgement call and should be left to officials imo...that said...even though I don't foresee many being overturned...I wouldn't mind the HC being able to challenge it...no additional challenges though.

:scratch:

With no additional challenges than the two the coaches get, why would there be too many delays?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

With no additional challenges than the two the coaches get, why would there be too many delays?

It wouldn't...I was pushing back on "any"...that would cause more delays.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spot fouls still somewhat protect the players. they are putting quarterbacks in the baby buggy, if there were no spot fouls for pass interference there would be more intent to injure with DB's. If they can blow up a receiver that is about to catch a ball, they will if its gonna be a 15 yard gain instead of 50.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spot fouls still somewhat protect the players. they are putting quarterbacks in the baby buggy, if there were no spot fouls for pass interference there would be more intent to injure with DB's. If they can blow up a receiver that is about to catch a ball, they will if its gonna be a 15 yard gain instead of 50.

College football does it, and you don't see that happening...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

If the DB is beat on a 70 yard bomb and he interferes it's the smart thing to do as it gets him off the hook for a TD and only moves the ball a few yards in the penalty.

That's why they do it the way they do.

It benefits all QB's equally - that includes Russell Wilson.

One can argue - and will - that if the DB didn't interfere with the catch, it would have been for a TD (or big yardage).

Yeah but your still giving up a free 1st down on what could be a 3rd and long... They could also impliment a rule that if it's determined intentional it's a bigger penalty.... This needs to be addressed.. I"m tire of watching offenses get bailed out with bad PI call's ... Something needs to be done...

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but your still giving up a free 1st down on what could be a 3rd and long... They could also impliment a rule that if it's determined intentional it's a bigger penalty.... This needs to be addressed.. I"m tire of watching offenses get bailed out with bad PI call's ... Something needs to be done...

It doesn't matter.

I watch college football and I see DB's get beat, commit DPI and give up 15 rather than give up the TD. It's an abuse and it was eliminated with spot fouls in the NFL.

And I'll say again, if not for the DPI the WR could have caught the ball.

What they need to do - if you really want fairness - is to call OPI more often and stop letting WR's push off.

The change you want will never happen, just as OPI being called more often will never happen.

Do you know why?

Money.

More points means more money.

The NFL took note of what happened when they instituted the 'Mel Blount' rule back in the mid-70's. As offenses opened up, points went up, and they made more money.

Most changes the NFL makes are for that or safety.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter.

I watch college football and I see DB's get beat, commit DPI and give up 15 rather than give up the TD. It's an abuse and it was eliminated with spot fouls in the NFL.

And I'll say again, if not for the DPI the WR could have caught the ball.

What they need to do - if you really want fairness - is to call OPI more often and stop letting WR's push off.

The change you want will never happen, just as OPI being called more often will never happen.

Do you know why?

Money.

More points means more money.

The NFL took note of what happened when they instituted the 'Mel Blount' rule back in the mid-70's. As offenses opened up, points went up, and they made more money.

Most changes the NFL makes are for that or safety.

Oh it's obvious the league wants more offense, and it's a dam shame... but I stand bye eliminate spot fouls .. It's just handing the offense way to much with a tick tack touch on a deep route.... This can and should be addressed... I've seen enough of offense getting bailed out... Good defense is real football..

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a horrible idea.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free 1st down then... Just like illegal contact... If a DB mugs someone so be it, he just cost his defense a free 1st down... If it's and obvious grab then make it a stiffer penalty...

So someone that is a step beyond me, and 40 yards downfield, I can just tackle them and only give up a first down and 10 yards instead of 40 and a TD?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PI is already a judgement call. I think they should make it like running into/roughing the kicker and leave it up to the refs. Ticky-tack 50 yard penalties need to go.