• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL shortens OT

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forget each team gets a possession if the first team does not score a TD.
Last Year 26 teams averaged over 2 minutes and 30 seconds per drive.
One Series is Half the OT, more if you count kickoffs and punts.

I would love to hear how, Now Coaches will Change based off something that might not even happen. I bet almost half the teams never even went to OT last year. No One will even think or prepare from something that might never happen.

Then think about it like this. Each Team plays 16 games, if they are Lucky they go to OT Once. Who would change what they do on that What If...

Most Coaches will play for the Tie and Kill Clock rather than Risk Losing....

To me this will cause both teams to speed up play though. Both teams will be thinking that they want the chance at 2 opportunities to score in over time so that will cause them to hurry up just a bit more. I mean look at how many possessions we can have in the last 5 minutes of each half because both teams are operating with a sped up mindset. There will be more ties yes because of less opportunities but I would say it won't be as many as the 12 it could have been if we had the 10 minute clock instead of 15 this past year. I would say you maybe get 6-8 a year.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me this will cause both teams to speed up play though. Both teams will be thinking that they want the chance at 2 opportunities to score in over time so that will cause them to hurry up just a bit more. I mean look at how many possessions we can have in the last 5 minutes of each half because both teams are operating with a sped up mindset. There will be more ties yes because of less opportunities but I would say it won't be as many as the 12 it could have been if we had the 10 minute clock instead of 15 this past year. I would say you maybe get 6-8 a year.
I think most Coaches would play Time Possession. If they can put together a 6 Minute Drive to start the OT, even if they dont score, the other team only now has 4 minutes... And if they Dont score, now I can hold the ball for a Tie or Win.

That is what I would do.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Running and Play Action would be MUCH more effective in OT than in other situations just based on Fatigue.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the cries already.
Team A took 7 minutes and team B wasn't given equal playing time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most Coaches would play Time Possession. If they can put together a 6 Minute Drive to start the OT, even if they dont score, the other team only now has 4 minutes... And if they Dont score, now I can hold the ball for a Tie or Win.

That is what I would do.

I've listened to enough coaches now talk about overtime that they hate ever playing for the tie and refuse to just lay down because of the message it sends the entire team. It is why the Broncos tried for a 60+ field goal in overtime against the Chiefs knowing full well if they missed it put the Chiefs in perfect position to win the game. They took a chance and it didn't work out and unfortunately they lost the game. Rarely do you see coaches just concede a tie is a good choice.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. I don't get how starting teams at their opponents 25 is a good rule. That isn't football.

It's awful.

Ties are better than creating a new set of rules and essentially a new game. (Baseball post 9-1, same shit to me. Here's today's 34 man roster...)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd need to tweek it for the NFL. I'd start both teams at the 40 instead of the 25 and make teams go for 2 right away. That would do it imo. College rule is heads and shoulders more exciting than the NFL and every game has a winner. The real reason they don't do it is gambling but that's a different thread
No.

Minor league football is awful in OT. Sudden Death by quarter is superior to anything else that's been attempted.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've listened to enough coaches now talk about overtime that they hate ever playing for the tie and refuse to just lay down because of the message it sends the entire team. It is why the Broncos tried for a 60+ field goal in overtime against the Chiefs knowing full well if they missed it put the Chiefs in perfect position to win the game. They took a chance and it didn't work out and unfortunately they lost the game. Rarely do you see coaches just concede a tie is a good choice.
Under the New Rules, that Game ends in a Tie.

I think this kind of disproves how coaches "Going For It" will result in less ties.

Edit - If the records were reversed, you think Denver still tries that FG?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the New Rules, that Game ends in a Tie.

I think this kind of disproves how coaches "Going For It" will result in less ties.

Edit - If the records were reversed, you think Denver still tries that FG?

Umm not sure what you are trying to get at here. Both the Broncos and Chiefs were 7-3 when they played that game. So even if you reverse the record it is still the same. At that point both teams were fighting to try and keep up with Oakland who was 8-2 at that point. So yes pivotal game for both teams and needing a win. A tie really put both teams behind by 2 games to Oakland with just 5 games to play.

And what I mean by teams going for it is they will just do it earlier in the game. Look at the craziness of the last 2 minutes in most every NFL game. Heck back in 2013 there were 5 touchdowns scored in a game in the last 2 minutes and 5 seconds. So not like it takes long for teams to go and try to score. Teams are not going to look at the clock with 1 minute left and go "oh well let's just knee it a few times and be happy with a tie."

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm not sure what you are trying to get at here. Both the Broncos and Chiefs were 7-3 when they played that game. So even if you reverse the record it is still the same. At that point both teams were fighting to try and keep up with Oakland who was 8-2 at that point. So yes pivotal game for both teams and needing a win. A tie really put both teams behind by 2 games to Oakland with just 5 games to play.

And what I mean by teams going for it is they will just do it earlier in the game. Look at the craziness of the last 2 minutes in most every NFL game. Heck back in 2013 there were 5 touchdowns scored in a game in the last 2 minutes and 5 seconds. So not like it takes long for teams to go and try to score. Teams are not going to look at the clock with 1 minute left and go "oh well let's just knee it a few times and be happy with a tie."
Sorry, I should have been clearer, Division record. If I recall a Bronco Loss basically ended their Division hopes, while a Chiefs loss would not be close to the same situation?

I do think it will change the end of Regulation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I should have been clearer, Division record. If I recall a Bronco Loss basically ended their Division hopes, while a Chiefs loss would not be close to the same situation?

I do think it will change the end of Regulation.

Ahh got yah. Divisional games yeah Broncos were only 1-2 at that point while the Chiefs were 2-0. My guess is though for the Broncos they were more thinking about the fact that they would be 2 games back and one of the toughest closing schedules in NFL history.

Plus at that point the Broncos were just lacking the spark they had the year before. Yes they still had a good record at the time but they really needed that win just to keep the locker room together. There was a lot riding on that game and a tie just wasn't a smart decision. They took a huge risk and it did not pay off.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh got yah. Divisional games yeah Broncos were only 1-2 at that point while the Chiefs were 2-0. My guess is though for the Broncos they were more thinking about the fact that they would be 2 games back and one of the toughest closing schedules in NFL history.

Plus at that point the Broncos were just lacking the spark they had the year before. Yes they still had a good record at the time but they really needed that win just to keep the locker room together. There was a lot riding on that game and a tie just wasn't a smart decision. They took a huge risk and it did not pay off.
That was one of the few non Buc games I watch in its entirety. You said, it just seemed like Denver had to have that game for some reason and it came through in every aspect in that game. It kind if reminded me of the USC/UCLA game in 2005. UCLA was the better team on that day, but a few plays by Bush and it was USC who won.

I just think the only fair way to do OT, is No OT, or Sudden Death 15 Minutes.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why people want the NFL to go with College OT rules. Starting both teams at their opponent 25 is dumb and it will lead to longer games most likely. The NFL isn't trying to have a game that go to 6 overtimes
Are you sure? Sounds like a lot more commercials would air.
Either leave the game as a tie after regulation or whatever method they choose both teams MUST get a chance to touch the ball. This coming from a fan who's team just won the SB under the current rules.