• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Rule changes

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL mulling ejections, bans for 'dangerous hits'

Vincent also tweeted that the NFL is putting together a video to show players the proper way to celebrate after taunting and excessive celebration fouls increased last season.

ESPN's Kevin Seifert reported earlier this week that one of the items on next week's agenda is allowing referees more flexibility to warn players about borderline celebrations without penalizing them for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Also on the agenda next week is a proposal recommending owners begin full-time officials, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN. NFL Network, meanwhile, reported that owners will consider a proposal to shorten overtime periods to 10 minutes in the regular season.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Commercial appeal: Goodell talks pace of play

Specifically, he mentioned "how annoying" it is when a commercial is followed by a kickoff and then followed by another commercial.

"I hate that, too," Goodell said. "Our goal is to eliminate it.
  • Centralizing replay reviews and shifting the final authority to league officials in New York City. Referees would follow along on a video tablet rather than use a sideline replay "hood."

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying "Do away with the constant advertisements after every kickoff/punt return" for years... sadly I doubt they'll ever do away with the punt return advertising since they gotta get it in there at some point...

I'd almost rather them ditch the punt return advertisement. It makes defensive focused games or ones against a good defense almost unbearable because of CONSTANT advertisements.

Course getting rid of any commercials I'm all for. Still remember the first game I went to with my Dad, the offense was just standing around after a kickoff. And I was like, "What are they doing Dad?" "Advertisement..."

lol.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NFL can unilaterally eliminate commercial breaks. I'm sure it's worked in to the contracts they have with the networks.

The one I've heard that I like and have been wondering why they haven't done it this way from day 1: centralize all replays and take the review totally out of the hands of the on-field crew. We all do it from our couches on every single replay anyway -- within about 3 seconds we all know what the call should be. Put some guys in a room with all the angles and they can instantly tell the refs what to do when the play is challenged. No more dragging things out by going over under a hood, which probably means yet another commercial break.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though i hate the idea, its time to super impose ads on the field and maybe even put ads on the players to eliminate some of the commercials.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NFL can unilaterally eliminate commercial breaks. I'm sure it's worked in to the contracts they have with the networks.

The one I've heard that I like and have been wondering why they haven't done it this way from day 1: centralize all replays and take the review totally out of the hands of the on-field crew. We all do it from our couches on every single replay anyway -- within about 3 seconds we all know what the call should be. Put some guys in a room with all the angles and they can instantly tell the refs what to do when the play is challenged. No more dragging things out by going over under a hood, which probably means yet another commercial break.

I think when we see ads on the uniforms is when we'll see fewer commercial breaks, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, so we take what we can get.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when we see ads on the uniforms is when we'll see fewer commercial breaks, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, so we take what we can get.
Ads on the field and/or uniforms would be grotesque. Hopefully I'm long gone before that ever happens.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The commercials are grotesque. Do you realize that for two every plays there is one commercial? That is effing outrageous.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "targeting" rule in college football is a miserable failure. I've seen it applied properly about 3 times out of the 30+ I've seen it called. The NFL would be wise to not impose anything like it. Just another way the officials can fuck up and make the game unwatchable.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ads on the field and/or uniforms would be grotesque. Hopefully I'm long gone before that ever happens.

I agree, but unless the NFL suddenly decides they hate money, they can't eliminate too many commercial breaks without making up that ad revenue somehow and ads on the field or on the uniforms are the first two places they'll probably consider.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw the NFL!! Now jumping over the O-line during kicks is banned. I'm sure the discussion revolved around two points...

A.) Do the fans enjoy watching it?
B.) Are the players having fun?

If either A or B are yes, BAN IT!

NFL owners ban leaping on FG, PAT attempts

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but unless the NFL suddenly decides they hate money, they can't eliminate too many commercial breaks without making up that ad revenue somehow and ads on the field or on the uniforms are the first two places they'll probably consider.

It's all about growth and keeping market share... It's going to come because the NFL is a business and every business sees growth through marketing, innovation and/or expansion...