• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Old Timer's Bromide

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting QBs take their jobs - they don't compete to be starters in any other common way. Lynch has a hill to climb tonight - obviously - the Broncos want him to feel the pressure. At the same time - McCoy is tailoring the plays for Lynch's strengths as they stand. If Lynch is going to be the starter with swag - he is going to have to take the job - not compete for it.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch has has a great week of practice. The job is there for him. Go get it. Nobody in this case has claimed it yet. It's just waiting.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Siemian

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Siemian

That's the thing - Siemian hasn't "taken" the job either. If no one steps up to take the job - the Broncos will struggle.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something is going to give one way or other tonite. Starter will be named before week 3. Whether that guy hangs onto it very long is also concerning. We could very well have a " revolving door " scenario at qb this year. Hope not. That spells disaster.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really did have a great week of practice and went 12 for 12, I'm hoping he can do that in tonights game.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Siemian might win it again by default
Would be nice if one of these guys showed the leadership of a Jamesis
And took the job.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the qb play looks like it has so far and rest of preseason, I'm getting jersey made that has Chad Kelly on one side and Sam Darnold on other . ;)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Mahomes is tearing it up tonight. Kinda reminds me of how Cutler came on the scene in 2006. Gunslinger who flashed from day one, game one.
My premise is never trade up into the 20s for a QB .You want a QB you need to take one no later than 14. The QBs traded for in the 20 are crap or could be on the verge of crap.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Mahomes is tearing it up tonight. Kinda reminds me of how Cutler came on the scene in 2006. Gunslinger who flashed from day one, game one.
My premise is never trade up into the 20s for a QB .You want a QB you need to take one no later than 14. The QBs traded for in the 20 are crap or could be on the verge of crap.
Look at all the HOFamers who got drafted after rd 1. You got to be diligent and extremely fortunate to find a franchise Qb. I would not relish the responsibility. Because I really like Darnold doesn't mean nothing. Look how many thought Leaf was a guarantee. Russel? On and on. Character,confidence,determination and desire to be great are hard to find. That's why I think Sloter is going to HOF ! ;)

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rogers said hi.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comparing Hahomes to Cutler before he's even played a single regular season snap...Man I don't like the Chiefs either but let's give the man a chance! Let's see how he does when there are live rounds coming down range! Also, let's hold off on relegating Lynch to the scrapheap. Coming out of college many said he'd be a 3 year project. It's his second year and first in this offense.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Hahomes to Cutler before he's even played a single regular season snap...Man I don't like the Chiefs either but let's give the man a chance! Let's see how he does when there are live rounds coming down range! Also, let's hold off on relegating Lynch to the scrapheap. Coming out of college many said he'd be a 3 year project. It's his second year and first in this offense.

I was comparing Mahoome's arm talent to Cutler and the fact he flashed instantaneously. Not projecting anything about career path or personality. With Lynch who knows but he may have regressed from last year. 2.2 ypa would get anyone not drafted in the first round cut. and this was against a 2-14 football team with 55 new players.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only PS but it is a little scary how much Mahomes has progressed as well. I personally love Mahomes and it kills me that the Chiefs have him and then here we are stuck with dog poop at QB right now. Mahomes has a long ways to go too I understand. Playing PS football is way different then seeing a first team O play after play, but all he can control is what his opportunity has been thus far, and in camp and in PS he has looked good, while our guys look worse. Ugh! I can't stand that KC got a QB I loved and we got a QB I was never pleased with... The football gods hate me.

But hey, at least we won a SB recently. :)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really did have a great week of practice and went 12 for 12, I'm hoping he can do that in tonights game.
I guess we need to pump the brakes with QBs who look good in shorts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually if we are looking at the results since 2000 these are the spots to take a QB...Picks 1-4. Players that have panned out from that group include Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Mariota, and Winston all look like decent if not great QB's. Not a single QB taken pick 5-10 though has done jack squat in this league since 2000. That list include Ryan Tannehill (maybe best of the group), Mark Sanchez, Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Matt Leinart. Not a single quality starter among that group.

After pick 10 you have Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Joe Flacco as good to HOF type QB's since 2000. So in reality you would have much better luck picking either top-4 or 11 on. The truth is that throughout the entire 1st round it is very hit and miss. It is a big time guessing game when it comes to picking QB's and how they will transition to the NFL. Heck the #1 overall pick players since 2000 at the QB position I wouldn't say a single one of them look to be heading down a HOF career path other than maybe Eli Manning but even he hasn't exactly been a stellar QB at all times.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if we are looking at the results since 2000 these are the spots to take a QB...Picks 1-4. Players that have panned out from that group include Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Mariota, and Winston all look like decent if not great QB's. Not a single QB taken pick 5-10 though has done jack squat in this league since 2000. That list include Ryan Tannehill (maybe best of the group), Mark Sanchez, Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Matt Leinart. Not a single quality starter among that group.

After pick 10 you have Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Joe Flacco as good to HOF type QB's since 2000. So in reality you would have much better luck picking either top-4 or 11 on. The truth is that throughout the entire 1st round it is very hit and miss. It is a big time guessing game when it comes to picking QB's and how they will transition to the NFL. Heck the #1 overall pick players since 2000 at the QB position I wouldn't say a single one of them look to be heading down a HOF career path other than maybe Eli Manning but even he hasn't exactly been a stellar QB at all times.

I don't particularly trust the premis for your conclusion - I really don't see how the draft history is a guide to anything in particular, but what happened with the talent that year. Interesting to consider - though.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Plummer's still in town and in pretty good shape from playing handball. I'm told his left handed passes have improved dramatically.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't particularly trust the premis for your conclusion - I really don't see how the draft history is a guide to anything in particular, but what happened with the talent that year. Interesting to consider - though.

My conclusion is that saying picking a QB before pick 14 is a must is just not correct. 1st round QB's still have a very high bust rate no matter where you pick in the 1st round. If anything picks 11-32 have a much better chance at being successful than picks 5-10 at least over the last 20 or so years. My guess of why this happens is because after the top-4 picks the QB's taken next are big time reaches. If they were top-10 talent they would have been taken in those first 4 picks of the draft. So you take a reach of a QB and put them on a bad team (good reason they are picking top-10) and it sets that player up for failure. I think why QB's taken after the top-10 can find success is they are going to a little more talented team and some of them are actually given the time to develop.

Right now with Lynch yeah he failed in year 2. When you consider many thought he needed at least 2 years to grow into an NFL QB I wouldn't say he is off schedule just yet and hsouldn't just automatically be called a bust. Look at the Packers with Aaron Rodgers. Anybody remember what the Packers did after drafting Rodgers? The very next year they used a 5th round pick on a QB named Ingle Martin. Then in the 4th year of Rodgers being in the league (his first year starting) they used a 2nd round pick on a QB. Now yes Rodgers was sitting behind a HOF QB so it makes sense for him to sit on the bench but them then using a 2nd round pick just a few drafts later to me shows they were not completely sold on Rodgers becoming the star that he did become. His 2nd year in the league Rodgers went 6-15 for only 46 yards. He looked terrible his 2nd year in the league