• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Fine Decisions?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J Landry was fined $48,618 for grabbing his helmet & grabbing his crotch. Neither were good decisions but the fines seem harsh. Especially when you compare it to Blount's fine. He aggressively grabbed Suh's helmet & ripped it off his head. He was fined $ 18,231. I guess what Blount did was better in the league's opinion.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J Landry slammed his helmet on the sideline out of the field of play btw. What Blount did was in the middle of the field & could have led to a brawl between the teams. I guess that's worse than a sideline display of aggression in the opinion on the league.

Also the Fins had multiple motion penalties early in the game which were drive killers. It seems weird considering how few penalties that the Pats got in the game. I have watched a lot of Pats games & they consistently get less penalties than other teams. It makes you wonder if they are favored by the officials. Perhaps they are just better coached but it seems suspicious as much as it happens.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have listened to Pats fans wine about the league being against them. Really?? The Pats are penalized less than every team in the NFL except 3 teams. So much for that theory. OK I got it off my chest. lol

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the TD again by Landry. I don't even think he grabbed his crotch. In fact I watched the Bills vs Fins game again and saw him celebrate another players TD with the same motion. It's like a two handed fist clinch/flex motion that he does. I would appeal these ridiculous fines if I were him. That said, the fines could be a distraction for him going into the playoffs. This is the last thing Landry & the team needs now.

I reviewed the leagues' fine policy. Landry got penalized way worse than a player would get for roughing the passer for each of his fines. I really don't know what these guys were thinking with these fines.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have listened to Pats fans wine about the league being against them. Really?? The Pats are penalized less than every team in the NFL except 3 teams. So much for that theory. OK I got it off my chest. lol
You are not wrong but nothing that we can do about it. The blindside block by the alcoholic was worse and caused a bigger play but nothing... guaranteed the Fins get flagged on that all day long.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not wrong but nothing that we can do about it. The blindside block by the alcoholic was worse and caused a bigger play but nothing... guaranteed the Fins get flagged on that all day long.

They definitely missed that call. Lippett never saw it coming & got leveled. I was surprised when he came back into the game. Landry got flagged and fined for a very similar play for his hit on Aaron Williams of the Bills.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J Landry was fined $48,618 for grabbing his helmet & grabbing his crotch. Neither were good decisions but the fines seem harsh. Especially when you compare it to Blount's fine. He aggressively grabbed Suh's helmet & ripped it off his head. He was fined $ 18,231. I guess what Blount did was better in the league's opinion.

Some thoughts:
Even with Suh's reputation, it is typical that the player who retaliates get's called and/or fined. Doesn't mean that Suh is "innocent"
The crotch grab I did not see. somebody else must of? For the fine they had to review?
The celebration fine is of course ridiculous - very few fans like those calls.
Goodell is never consistent
You should be angry.....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts:
Even with Suh's reputation, it is typical that the player who retaliates get's called and/or fined. Doesn't mean that Suh is "innocent"
The crotch grab I did not see. somebody else must of? For the fine they had to review?
The celebration fine is of course ridiculous - very few fans like those calls.
Goodell is never consistent
You should be angry.....

Thanks Southieinnc for your objectivity. Landry is on his rookie contract. 48K is a lot of money for him I'm sure. RE the crotch grab: I saw a different camera angle today & he appears guilty from what I saw. I still think the fines are too severe though.

I think Suh's problem with Blount stemmed from the drive before at the goal line. I'm not saying he's innocent either however I don't think Suh did anything that could hurt Blount. Taking a players helmet is a bigger infraction than what I saw between the two.

I agree with you that Goodell is being really inconsistent. It must be tough for players to not have clear rules & to get hammered for celebrating a TD when they aren't hurting anyone. I think the decision makers could use a few more athletes as advisors that understand emotions in competition. Slamming a helmet is a lot less harmless than
roughing the passer for example.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Southieinnc for your objectivity. Landry is on his rookie contract. 48K is a lot of money for him I'm sure. RE the crotch grab: I saw a different camera angle today & he appears guilty from what I saw. I still think the fines are too severe though.

I think Suh's problem with Blount stemmed from the drive before at the goal line. I'm not saying he's innocent either however I don't think Suh did anything that could hurt Blount. Taking a players helmet is a bigger infraction than what I saw between the two.

I agree with you that Goodell is being really inconsistent. It must be tough for players to not have clear rules & to get hammered for celebrating a TD when they aren't hurting anyone. I think the decision makers could use a few more athletes as advisors that understand emotions in competition. Slamming a helmet is a lot less harmless than
roughing the passer for example.
How about a hit below the knee on a QB? Supposed to be an automatic 15 not even flagged on the cards. Doesn't even have to be intentional but it's a different set of rules depending on who the QB is. Completely ridiculous...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a hit below the knee on a QB? Supposed to be an automatic 15 not even flagged on the cards. Doesn't even have to be intentional but it's a different set of rules depending on who the QB is. Completely ridiculous...

There is so much disparity going on in the NFL. I hope it doesn't get like the NBA where the home team gets all the calls.....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much disparity going on in the NFL. I hope it doesn't get like the NBA where the home team gets all the calls.....
We're probably expecting more from the refs than they can realistically achieve so the only solution is to be able to challenge everything. I don't understand why they are against this get it right and everyone is happy. If I were a ref and made a game changing bad call I'd prefer to get it right. They can still use the current challenge rules so games don't take 5 hours but get the thing right.