• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we will get a pass rusher at 9 or 10 unless we take inferior talent. A CB or O-Lineman is more likely for that reason. The CB's I believe are a strong group this year with value later in the draft. I'm guessing that is why many are picking Nelson for the 49ers.

Since we're not reading anything similar to Myles Garrett, i guess we won't. Don't want to force a LEO this high, better to go elsewhere.

Yes, do take the best talent even if an OG. Ideally, an OT is best cause we can't look at just this coming season.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent O-Line group is weak the draft is stronger. I think with free agency ahead of the draft we'll have a better Idea of what they are leaning toward in the draft.
Any idea how good a fit the Panthers OG Andrew Norwell might be ?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea how good a fit the Panthers OG Andrew Norwell might be ?

Ninersickness said he is suited for a power blocking scheme not Shanahan's zone blocking scheme. Doesn't mean he can't play well in a ZBS as long as he has the body for it. The last reports I read said it was going be over double digite per year to get him around $13 million

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A receiver is blowing up Shrine Game practices and 49ers need to take notice

This is the type of WR we need, not the Landry type who isn't much better than Garcon. This TYPE of WR is the outside type, matching up against CB's one on one. We don't need THIS guy specifically, but this type of WR.

Posted this because i'd rather not spend the higher picks (this draft only) on WR. This link shows there might still might be potential WR talent, after Round 3. Also note this article mentioned a deep draft, pushing talented palyers a little further down.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/comment...ency-allen-robinson-worth-four-years-million/

Good point, that JG distributes the ball well to multiple receivers. So having the "elite" outside WR, isn't critical yet. Also makes sense when you look at New England's WR's last 10 years.

Again, not to say i don't ever want an elite WR, just don't think we should spend a lot right now. Whether spending a lot with cap space or draft capital, doesn't seem the time?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been reading good things about the Penn WR at the Shriners game practices

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.************.com/comment...ency-allen-robinson-worth-four-years-million/

Good point, that JG distributes the ball well to multiple receivers. So having the "elite" outside WR, isn't critical yet. Also makes sense when you look at New England's WR's last 10 years.

Again, not to say i don't ever want an elite WR, just don't think we should spend a lot right now. Whether spending a lot with cap space or draft capital, doesn't seem the time?

When the Pats had an elite WR in Moss the offense was about as good as it gets.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When the Pats had an elite WR in Moss the offense was about as good as it gets.

Yes, of course any offense is better with an elite WR, everything else being equal. But thats the thing, right NOW we're not equal. IMO we need to upgrade other spots first. I'd say LEO but doesn't look like there is one at our spot. We don't have a quality CB, so Ward or whomever (Jackson?) would be fine.

Jimmy G is the key, so if its protecting him with Nelson, thats ok.

So not saying don't ever get an elite WR, just not with the higher picks in this next draft. Even in this free agency, so far i don't see a name we should chasing hard after?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners' Breida, Williams Could Fill Hyde's Role

Have to wonder about any RB that can't pass block? He should at least be an average pass blocker, even if we give up a little on running ability. Cause we can't allow Jimmy G to get hit more times than necessary. without him, we go back to 0-9, or 1-8.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

2017 Summary: PFF All-America First Team, CBS Sports All-America First Team, FWAA All-America Second Team and AP All-America Third Team.

Miller: “He has the size to play guard. He’s very physical in the run game, and he really improved his stock this year. I’d definitely keep an eye on him.”

Assuming we don't draft anyone prior, I would draft O-Line in Round 3. Ideally an OT but by that time, the value for OT drops a lot. So we'd be looking at somebody like this, a C, OG, or C/OG. This specific player will likely gone by our 3rd rounder, so is there anybody else close to his value?

Granted, IF we target him for OG, the above doesn't say anything about outside zone, nor pass blocking?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I’m in the minority here, but I wouldn’t be a fan of picking Quenton Nelson. I think he’ll be a great player, but I don’t know if he’s rangy enough for an outside zone running team like Kyle Shanahan’s. And we saw how good Jimmy Garoppolo can be even without a great offensive line. If a lineman is the pick, I think the team would be wiser to find a potential long-term solution at tackle to replace Joe Staley or Trent Brown down the road who could play guard in the meantime.

Nelson might be too hulk-ish to run outside the numbers and throw blocks needed in this system. The 49ers could find that player in the second round, or trade back in Round 1, rather than using such a premium pick on a guard. I think Price is a better fit and could be had later.

Interesting take on Nelson.

Ideally, agree with an OT first...IF that is better value than Nelson? BOTH of our OT's could go downhill in a hurry, opening up more hits on JG. Might as well get that next starting OT ready this season, even if he doesn't start at OG meanwhile.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I'm biased but Nelson is pretty rangy for a guy his size and with his nastiness to boot. Notre Dame have had some pretty good linemen over the past 10 years and Nelson is the best I've watched on Saturday's. I remember watching Notre Dame's bowl game this year against LSU and one of the defenders tried to jump to get a hand on the pass and Nelson did exactly what an O-Line should do put him on his ass violently.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine with signing Landry of he became available, I've seen some talk about the number of balls thrown his way and how others could do the same. Miami do have other really good WE or play makers on offense other than Landry so the targets he gets are because he is a talented player.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I'm biased but Nelson is pretty rangy for a guy his size and with his nastiness to boot. Notre Dame have had some pretty good linemen over the past 10 years and Nelson is the best I've watched on Saturday's. I remember watching Notre Dame's bowl game this year against LSU and one of the defenders tried to jump to get a hand on the pass and Nelson did exactly what an O-Line should do put him on his ass violently.

I am with you on Nelson. He is such a great talent. It would really bolster our oline and to me Oline is one of team's biggest needs.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most everything I've read Niner oriented and Nelson say that would be a great pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the main thing is our pick pans out, whether Nelson or whomever, he must pan out.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too sit upon the Nelson wagon.
If he's not still available or the Nines brass isn't onboard, what do you guys think of
CB Josh Jackson Iowa

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's not still available or the Nines brass isn't onboard, what do you guys think of
CB Josh Jackson Iowa

I posed a question about him in this thread, post #948. I don't know where he's projected or whatever, but in my limited exposure to the guy, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him at 9/10. Another guy that's getting really hyped up is Marcus Davenport. He's had a rough week of practice at the Senior Bowl, but if he lights it up in the game......the whole league will be on notice.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Josh Jackson Iowa

What I saw of him was very limited but the guy played great against Ohio State.