• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day - I'm talking about Grant Cohn - but yeah...pass rusher/corner/OL/OL....and then some bigger receiver. Whether it's the draft or FA.

We'll need to add one 'starting caliber' CB in free agency. Doesn't need to be THE top free agent CB, but one with starting experience. Then you go into the draft and take another CB within first 3 rounds. The CB position takes on a lot of injuries, so we need quality depth.

We can't forget about the NB either, would Jimmy Ward be the back-up NB?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At 10 we need to look at Best Available, OT, CB, WR, OLB, MLB.. Guard will be better with full year from Garnett, Tomlinson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At 10 we need to look at Best Available, OT, CB, WR, OLB, MLB.. Guard will be better with full year from Garnett, Tomlinson.

Yep, we all wish Garnett fills one of the OG spots, at a high level. That would save a lot on draft capital plus cap space. However, this Staff seen a little bit of him already, and if they know he doesn't fit, lets not 'force' him to fit? It appears this scheme doesn't suit him easily, since he has to 're-make his body. That is easier said than done.

We aren't just gonna cut him, so what this means is signing a FA if value is there. If not there, draft an OG within the first 3 rounds. Let them all compete in the off-season, and the best plays. If we end up trading Garnett, so be it, but we need to solidify the line and reduce the odds of Jimmy getting hurt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Totally agree with best available, problem is its hard to tell who is? National mocks judge prospects 'in general', so we don't know who REALLY fits the 49er schemes best? So as we enter draft talk season, all we can do is go by Need.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
^^ More speed, CB/LB who can blitz, tackle:):) Similar to Troy P. the shampoo guy!!:):)

Last edited:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will look at pass rushers first, specifically the LEO and not just "DL". But while i'm hoping for a LEO first, fans can't know if one of these Edge guys fit? Haven't read anything yet suggesting one of these guys are a LEO, so at this point don't think so?

But ok, no problem here if no LEO and we draft Nelson instead. Obviously, Jimmy G is the key and we have to reduce the hits on him. A top OG will also help the run game, which indirectly protects Jimmy G. All good play-off teams need a decent run game. But taking an OG this high, he'd have to project 'perenial All-Pro'.

Nelson is about as good as it gets for an interior Lineman and I would say he projects as a perennial All-Pro.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll need to add one 'starting caliber' CB in free agency. Doesn't need to be THE top free agent CB, but one with starting experience. Then you go into the draft and take another CB within first 3 rounds. The CB position takes on a lot of injuries, so we need quality depth.

We can't forget about the NB either, would Jimmy Ward be the back-up NB?

Who knows? They found A. Witherspoon in the draft and he hasn't been too bad....maybe they can find another mid-level round type of guy who can find his way into the lineup. A friend of mine told me about Josh Jackson?? I think he's an expected 1st round corner or something?? Not saying SF should grab him in top 10 but the draft is a long ways away, so.....who knows.

Oh and....Niner fans should be happy that both Rosen and Darnold have entered the draft - QB's that teams will drool over and inevitably push top tier talent down to 9th or 10th.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows? They found A. Witherspoon in the draft and he hasn't been too bad....maybe they can find another mid-level round type of guy who can find his way into the lineup. A friend of mine told me about Josh Jackson?? I think he's an expected 1st round corner or something?? Not saying SF should grab him in top 10 but the draft is a long ways away, so.....who knows.

Oh and....Niner fans should be happy that both Rosen and Darnold have entered the draft - QB's that teams will drool over and inevitably push top tier talent down to 9th or 10th.

Next to Notre Dame beating LSU it was the best news of the new year.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, we all wish Garnett fills one of the OG spots, at a high level. That would save a lot on draft capital plus cap space. However, this Staff seen a little bit of him already, and if they know he doesn't fit, lets not 'force' him to fit? It appears this scheme doesn't suit him easily, since he has to 're-make his body. That is easier said than done.

We aren't just gonna cut him, so what this means is signing a FA if value is there. If not there, draft an OG within the first 3 rounds. Let them all compete in the off-season, and the best plays. If we end up trading Garnett, so be it, but we need to solidify the line and reduce the odds of Jimmy getting hurt.
Incognito Body!!:):)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't mind seeing the 49ers get that big fucker number 94 on Alabama's D Line. He's a monster.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, with JG now showing what he can do, I'm all in favour of building and maintaining an elite defense. Plug in a few pieces on offense, I think SF can roll with the QB and Shanahan out-scheming the opposition.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In general, with JG now showing what he can do, I'm all in favour of building and maintaining an elite defense. Plug in a few pieces on offense, I think SF can roll with the QB and Shanahan out-scheming the opposition.

Yes, we can't get everything at once so what comes first? I'm also hoping we continue with D first, meaning we use the two higher picks on LEO, followed by CB. Will the talent/value fall this way, we'll see? You eventually need an overall D, else the play-off teams will exploit your weaknesses.

But we won't forget offense entirely and for me, "Plug in a few pieces on offense" means using the two 3rd round picks for O-line. One of them an OT. We wouldn't expect 3rd round picks to start immediately so this is immediate depth and future starters. We have to protect JG, else we end up like Philadelphia. We've seen both Staley and Brown go out with injuries, OT is vulnerable.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we can't get everything at once so what comes first? I'm also hoping we continue with D first, meaning we use the two higher picks on LEO, followed by CB. Will the talent/value fall this way, we'll see? You eventually need an overall D, else the play-off teams will exploit your weaknesses.

But we won't forget offense entirely and for me, "Plug in a few pieces on offense" means using the two 3rd round picks for O-line. One of them an OT. We wouldn't expect 3rd round picks to start immediately so this is immediate depth and future starters. We have to protect JG, else we end up like Philadelphia. We've seen both Staley and Brown go out with injuries, OT is vulnerable.

Free agent O-Line group is weak the draft is stronger. I think with free agency ahead of the draft we'll have a better Idea of what they are leaning toward in the draft.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with edge rusher/cornerback being the top picks defensively....although there is talk from fans/writers about the Notre Dame guard with the first pick (which I wouldn't complain about). I don't know much about this draft (strengths and weaknesses/individual talent/etc.), nor do I know who will be a free agent, and TBH, I don't care much either at this time. I'm only looking at it from a general POV.

I'm just relatively happy that the QB position is solved.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with edge rusher/cornerback being the top picks defensively....although there is talk from fans/writers about the Notre Dame guard with the first pick (which I wouldn't complain about). I don't know much about this draft (strengths and weaknesses/individual talent/etc.), nor do I know who will be a free agent, and TBH, I don't care much either at this time. I'm only looking at it from a general POV.

I don't think we will get a pass rusher at 9 or 10 unless we take inferior talent. A CB or O-Lineman is more likely for that reason. The CB's I believe are a strong group this year with value later in the draft. I'm guessing that is why many are picking Nelson for the 49ers.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent O-Line group is weak the draft is stronger. I think with free agency ahead of the draft we'll have a better Idea of what they are leaning toward in the draft.

Norwood would be a good FA pickup but it might get very expensive. The NY Giants center I think is a free agent Weston Richburg. He is a really good pass blocker

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norwood would be a good FA pickup but it might get very expensive. The NY Giants center I think is a free agent Weston Richburg. He is a really good pass blocker

There are a few good O-Linemen but by and large is considered a weak group.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No doubt!