• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Orleans Saints Ongoing Thread

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q & A with Drew Brees

What is it like working with and playing against a Rob Ryan defense in practice?
“He’s fun to be around. You can tell he loves football and loves coaching. He’s got a good scheme. The defensive guys are really taking to him. Guys are flying around. It looks like they’re having fun with this scheme. Obviously, we are very much in a learning phase right now. The defense is trying to learn the new scheme. Offensively, we have some new wrinkles that we’re working on. It’s just fun to be back on the field practicing again.”

What has it been like the past few days having Sean Payton back on the practice field?
“It’s been great. It’s been a while.”

How is he different?
“Well, he’s dropped about 18 pounds. He’s at his fighting weight. I’d say, just like in the offseason, especially coming off a year like we had last year, there are things that you do so that everybody knows that this is going to be a different year. It’s going to be a better year. So just some little things as the offseason (we have) gone along (with), whether it be just modifications in the workouts that we’re doing or some of the sayings that are on the walls around here, or pictures. Little things, the schedule...”

How is it for you to be back here at this time because you did not participate in these activities last season?
“If you think about, this is the first normal offseason we’ve had since 2009. 2010 was coming off the Super Bowl, that wasn’t normal. 2011 was coming off the lockout, that wasn’t normal. Last year, all the bounty stuff and my contract, that wasn’t normal. This has been great. This has been great, just getting in this locker room back in mid-April and just focusing on getting better, (working hard in) the weight room and being around the guys, just getting back to football. It’s what we do.”

Read the rest here Drew Brees: "It's Great to be in a Normal Offseason"

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much appreciated Hammer, hopefully some more Saints fans migrate over here.
I really like some of the things that I'm hearing about Rob Ryan so far. I liked the hiring from the start so long as he doesn't bring the Ryan brash attitude with him. We just need this defense to be average at best and the offense will take us home way more often than not. However, they're talking like the defense is ready to be a force this year. Talk in minicamp is cheap, but I like they're mindset. One thing I'm ready to see is Kenny Vaccaro eventually easing Roman Harper out of his spot. Vaccaro and Malcolm Jenkins in the saftey spot, with Keenan Lewis and Jabrari Greer at corner should be NICE. I think we're in for some big things this year.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really looking forward to Vaccaro lighting a fire under our safetys' asses. Like Kold said he might not start right away but will put some pressure on our guys. I'm not a big fan of ryan... I just don't think it's going to pan out.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, Rob Ryan is more like Gregg Williams. GW's problem was that he blitzed too much, I'm still not over how he costed us that playoff game(and SB berth imo) against SF that year. I think Ryan can be good enough to get our defense to average status. If we can do that, we are golden. Sean Payton is back and that offense will be firing on all cylinders. Ingram has to step up with no Ivory however. Rob Ryan just needs to leave all of that trash talk alone

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have a top 15 defense we will be a top 3 team in the league. Our offense will be great like always. One thing I'll like to see out of the offense this year is more balanced in terms of run and pass. Ingram & Thomas are good backs so we should try to get those two 25-30 carries combined per game.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think That Rob ryan had better pieces for a defense in dallas and couldn't get anything going. If we can hold our opponents to 20 points every game we'll be golden. Just don't be surprised if our defense still sucks two years from now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think That Rob ryan had better pieces for a defense in dallas and couldn't get anything going. If we can hold our opponents to 20 points every game we'll be golden. Just don't be surprised if our defense still sucks two years from now.

We just need a defense that only allows between 20-23 PPG as we know our offense would avg close to 30 PPG. The key for our defense is forcing turnovers, getting consistent pressure on the QB, and finally bending and not breaking in the red zone.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just need a defense that only allows between 20-23 PPG as we know our offense would avg close to 30 PPG. The key for our defense is forcing turnovers, getting consistent pressure on the QB, and finally bending and not breaking in the red zone.

:agree::suds:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will post some articles from espn.com regarding the mini camp

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s take a quick run through some notes, highlights and observations:
  • Cornerback Keenan Lewis was not at practice. Coach Sean Payton said Lewis was “held out’’, but did not elaborate on the reason,

• Jason Smith, who is competing for the starting left tackle spot, limped off the field about halfway through practice and was taken to the locker room.

• Most of the talk about the safeties has centered on veterans Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins, and rookie Kenny Vaccaro. Harper and Jenkins worked with the first team Tuesday, and Vaccaro worked with the second team. But the one safety I saw make several big plays was backup Isa Abdul-Quddus.

• Payton has said second-year running back Travaris Cadet has some similarities to Darren Sproles. But Cadet will have to come up with some big plays to make Payton and the coaches forget about what happened on a short pass about halfway through practice. The perfectly-thrown pass went right through Cadet’s hands and was intercepted by Corey White.

• There clearly is a competition for the backup quarterback spot between Luke McCown and Seneca Wallace. I thought Wallace had the better performance Tuesday morning. I also think the Saints might be wise to keep Wallace. His mobility could be used on the scout team to help the defense get ready for the likes of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.

• Wide receiver Jarred Fayson was the first name Payton mentioned when asked which young players stood out to him. Fayson had several nice catches. Fayson and cornerback Rod Sweeting had a brief shoving match after they collided at the end of one of Fayson’s catches.

• Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said he was impressed by the performance of rookie linebacker Rufus Johnson. He’s working behind Will Smith and Junior Galette at “Jack’’ linebacker. I saw Johnson swat down a pass, and he looks like he has some quickness.

• Running back Mark Ingram hasn’t been much of a threat as a pass-catcher. But the Saints seemed to be throwing to him a fair amount Tuesday. I think that might be a sign of things to come.

• I’ll have much more on Ryan and the defense in my Thursday column. But, for now, let’s just say I was impressed with how many different defensive packages the Saints put on the field Tuesday morning.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOT GOOD.
https://twitter.com/LarryHolder/statuses/344825740824567808

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside linebacker Martez Wilson had to leave practice with an elbow injury. Coach Sean Payton said the injury didn’t appear to be serious. But the Saints are a little thin at outside linebacker if Wilson has to miss any practice time. They already have lost Victor Butler to a season-ending injury. If Wilson is out for any extended period, rookie Rufus Johnson could get more work behind Will Smith and Junior Galette.

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really looking forward to Vaccaro lighting a fire under our safetys' asses. Like Kold said he might not start right away but will put some pressure on our guys. I'm not a big fan of ryan... I just don't think it's going to pan out.
:agree:Gotta agree Kid, no Ryan fan here either, but just like the Off. Co O. up the road in Baton Rouge, anything will be an improvement over what we have seen as of late.

I pray Vacarro brings those matches(lol) to the opening game this season. I guess we are STUCK with Harper, at least for a few more. God help us. Maybe Ryan can find a way to keep him from getting so exposed, not sure how he wlill do that, but that should be a good 1st test for him.
Yeah, if the D keeps it under 20 ppg, we make playoffs, not as a Wild card either.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two tough losses, my guess would be that Kenny Stills takes over the deep man role

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn that sucks I liked that Morgan did. It is amazing how many ACL tears there has been in the league before the first preseason game.