• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New OC

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got a notification that we offered Louisville OC and he turned us down :L

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is sad if true. McGee was our QB in 94-95. :L @ not wanting to coach at your alma mater.....

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I blame him after seeing what happend to Josh.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, listen to me. We will never win another National Championship with Bob Stoops. We might have reached the point where we never win another conference championship with him. And if he hires someone like Sonny Cumbie it's obvious he's trying to go for a quick fix. That means what? Castiglione has told him to turn it around or _______? Maybe Stoops wants to have one more great year and then bolt? Maybe he is ready to do something else besides coach but he needs to go out on top and a quick fix would do that for him? The problem with a quick fix is it doesn't portend a long term stable future for the program. It could work that way but we all know how quick fixes in our personal lives usually turn out. Why isn't OU looking at cracker jack offensive coaches (excellent assistants) in the pro's? I know why. Expect more people to turn down the OU OC job. There is stink all over Stoops and this program right now when he won't fix things on both sides of the ball. I hate it. You hate it. We need a miracle.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the guy turns us down and it's all over the news.
This isn't good.
Just goes to show that Stoops was pushed into doing this and wasn't ready at all to make these changes, if he had been, he'd have his man waiting. There would just be an announcement that XYZ is our new OC, and it would have been like yesterday. None of this getting turned down shit.

You would think that he would go after a guy that knows how to recruit Texas like the back of his hand first and foremost.

Coaches around the country can see what's going on at Oklahoma, just like we can. It's a dumpster fire. Who wants that.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't offered the job, just an opportunity for an interview. It would have been interesting, but I really don't think he was a serious offer. I really think Bob is just doing some serious due dilligence and checking. Garrick McGee was further down on the list of wants. Supposedly Scott Frost is the the first choice, but who knows.

This really is the biggest hire since 99'. Every other offense or defense coordinator position has been hired in-program. Mangino, Wilson, Long, Heupel....this is the first time in 15 years, since 99' Bob has had to carry out serious interviews for an offensive coordinator position.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he want to leave? He's working with one of the best offensive coaches in college football. He should stay a few years and learn everything that he can.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he want to leave? He's working with one of the best offensive coaches in college football. He should stay a few years and learn everything that he can.

I agree, it doesn't make much sense.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He leaked this info out for a reason.

We haven't named one yet...wonder why?

I have an idea.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He leaked this info out for a reason.

We haven't named one yet...wonder why?

I have an idea.

If you're guessing Scott Frost you are right. They have made contact with him. Here's the thing with Frost. If he did come to OU it would cost a lot of money. He's knocking down $400K now. OK. OU can jump him up to what they are jacking off on Mike (The Joker) Stoops without raising any eyebrows. That's $850,000. They could even pay him $1,000,000 to make him feel really good about the move and send a signal to Mike Stoops at the same time leaving poor Mike at "only" $850,000. Oregon is losing a lot after this season (Mariota being the main reason they won't be as good as next year).........but OU is bring back a butt load of talent on offense including a couple of QB's with talent (Justice Hansen and Baker Mayfield) plus a stable of stud running backs. The only place we are weak as a kitten is WR and we'll go JC if we have to for a solution to that problem. Frost could bring in his own system.....no questions asked. Bob Stoops is on his last legs irrespective is what he's telling the press. Even if he turns things around he won't be at OU much longer. Scott Frost is going to be a head coach sooner or later. Why not OU in not too long? Oregon's on a run but the football power is Oklahoma.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're guessing Scott Frost you are right. They have made contact with him. Here's the thing with Frost. If he did come to OU it would cost a lot of money. He's knocking down $400K now. OK. OU can jump him up to what they are jacking off on Mike (The Joker) Stoops without raising any eyebrows. That's $850,000. They could even pay him $1,000,000 to make him feel really good about the move and send a signal to Mike Stoops at the same time leaving poor Mike at "only" $850,000. Oregon is losing a lot after this season (Mariota being the main reason they won't be as good as next year).........but OU is bring back a butt load of talent on offense including a couple of QB's with talent (Justice Hansen and Baker Mayfield) plus a stable of stud running backs. The only place we are weak as a kitten is WR and we'll go JC if we have to for a solution to that problem. Frost could bring in his own system.....no questions asked. Bob Stoops is on his last legs irrespective is what he's telling the press. Even if he turns things around he won't be at OU much longer. Scott Frost is going to be a head coach sooner or later. Why not OU[/B] in not too long? Oregon's on a run but the football power is Oklahoma.

I have thought that the next OC might just end up as the next Head Coach at Oklahoma, unless things go bad next year and Stoops is forced out and everyone gets shitcanned with a new HC coming in. It could really benefit the next OC if things go right. I don't see Stoops hanging around too much longer like a Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln Riley rumors heating up...

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lincoln Riley rumors prove to be the way Bob Stoops is going then we are stuck in a different dimension than I am familiar with. (The rumor is coming from Dean Blevins and when was the last time he was right about anything?) Josh Heupel did win a National Championship as a player, he was the prime mover in developing some pretty good QB's and he did score a lot of points even when we had no receivers (except for 1 good, undersized player with a big heart), he did beat Notre Dame which hadn't happened since Christ was a cadet, etc. And Lincoln Riley has done ________________? I'm waiting. He would be an attempt at a quick fix hoping we could catch lightening in a bottle. Does anyone really believe Lincoln Riley is the best OC the University of Oklahoma Sooners can attract? Geez. I really hope this doesn't happen.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done and done.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say wait and see. Riley is a Mike Leach disciple, an Air Raid offense guy. Right now, with the lack of talent at QB and with the premise that a Leach-style offense doesn't require great talent at QB, it might work if we can grab some serviceable WRs from JUCO.

As far as "is this the best we can do" discussion, a high profile OC at a big name program would jump ship why? A position coach at a big time program, with no OC experience helps us how? I think an OC who has had success at a lower level could be what we need.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley has set school records in each of his five years as an OC and is pretty highly respected.

Frost, on the other hand, can pick and choose among the schools that will be calling in the next couple of years for a HC job. Do we really want the guy who is moving on next year? A one year OC hire doesn't seem to good of a deal to me.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone convince me that hiring Lincoln Riley is an improvement over Josh Heupel? Heupel ran some hellacious offenses in a Power 5 conference while at OU, he developed a 3* player into a Heisman winning QB, he played QB on a NC team, etc. You know the things Heupel did. Now Riley is going to come in and win throwing the ball next year and Heupel was castigated for probably getting ready to do the same thing? I wasn't a Heupel fan by any stretch of the imagination but he's 100% just a scapegoat if Riley is his replacement. How is Riley better? ECU played these teams in 2014:

North Carolina Central
South Carolina -- Loss
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
SMU
USF
Connecticut
Temple -- Loss
Cincinnatti -- Loss
Tulane
Tulsa
UCF -- Loss
Florida -- Loss

Heupel lost 5 games too. TCU, Kansas State, Baylor, Okie Jr. and Clemson.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt a fan at all having Josh at OC, his play calling was repetitive, his playbook was thin, and some of the calls he was making was just plain dumb. Since Josh moved to OC the QBs we have had were not what they were before. Landry didnt progress any further than his 2nd year, which was the same year Josh took OC. Bell had great talent but never developed a great throwing arm. Knight has talent with his legs and has a good arm but accuracy was shit. Thompson didnt look any better. All of these QB were under Josh as a OC. Josh was a great QB Coach, and i wouldnt have mind putting him back at just that. But an OC was over his head.

Riley has been a successful play caller at TT and ECU, yes he called plays the same year Leach was toasted. He has developed pretty good QBs through his time. You cannot use ECUs W/L record and who they played against to judge against OUs, they play with lesser talent. They dont pick up 4 or 5 star prospects like OU, so having the talent he has had and the fact that ECU has been pretty good the past few years says alot about his methods.

I personally think this is a good hire. A young OC with some play calling experience and hungry to become a big name and win championships. Thats why he accepted the job at OU, cause he knows he cant win a NT at ECU, hes hungry, and he may be the hungry tiger OU needs to get hungry again.