• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Lawsuit Filed Against the NFL

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday, May 21, 2015

By:
Associated Press

BALTIMORE — Hundreds of former players have filed a lawsuit claiming all 32 NFL teams, their doctors, trainers and medical staffs obtained and provided painkillers to players — often illegally — as part of a decades-long conspiracy to keep them on the field without regard for their long-term health.

The lawsuit reprises some of the allegations made in a federal lawsuit last year on behalf of 1,300 former players against the NFL. That complaint was filed in May, 2014 and dismissed in December by Judge William Alsup of the U.S. Northern District in California. Alsup wrote that the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association was the appropriate forum to resolve such claims. That decision is being appealed.

The new lawsuit was filed Thursday in the U.S. Northern District of Maryland. It names each NFL team individually as a defendant and lists 13 plaintiffs, including Hall of Fame cornerback Mel Renfro of the Dallas Cowboys and Etopia Evans, the widow of Charles Evans, a running back who played eight years with the Minnesota Vikings and the Baltimore Ravens and retired after the 2000 season. Evans died of heart failure in October 2008, at age 41.

"This lawsuit alleges intentional activity by the teams, not negligence," said plaintiffs' attorney Steve Silverman. "It's another part of a unified effort to provide health care and compensation to the thousands of former players who have been permanently injured or died as a result of playing professional football."

Both lawsuits contend NFL teams and their medical staffs withheld information from players about the nature and seriousness of their injuries, while at the same time handing out prescription painkillers, anti-inflammatories and other dangerous drugs to mask pain and minimize lost playing time. Among other claims, the players contend prescriptions were filled out in their names without their knowledge.

The new lawsuit also claims that several former head coaches and assistants — among them, Don Shula, Howard Schnellenberger, Wayne Fontes, Mike Holmgren and Mike Tice — warned players they would be cut from their teams unless they took painkillers and returned to the field.

The NFL did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say dying at 41 is a bit more concerning than a soft football.

Now how can we blame this on the Patriots? Oh shit!!! Evans played for the Vikes and Ravens and we know they're as pure as the driven snow.....

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the REAL issue is air pressure. cant we just stick to whats wrong with football?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now how can we blame this on the Patriots? Oh shit!!! Evans played for the Vikes and Ravens and we know they're as pure as the driven snow.....
:L WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the REAL issue is air pressure. cant we just stick to whats wrong with football?

Patsie fans are so self absorbed.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Shula? Is this the same Don Shula who said his record was pristine?

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

how about we blame this on the person that actually took the drugs .. they had the option to say NO.. people need to be responsible for themselves and their own actions too

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question for all.
At what age did you realize playing tackle football was bad for your health. I was about 8 when I KNEW it was a dangerous game. Did that stop me from wanting to play? No. But I knew the playing time would be limited in the long run.

These guys acting as though they didn't understand the dangers is laughable.

MAL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading up on lawsuits regarding the NFL and found an interesting article I think this site might enjoy. It's a list about the 32 most shocking lawsuits each team has gone through, tons of wild ones in here. Think it's a good real for sportshoopla fans.
32 Shocking Lawsuits Involving Your Favorite NFL Team | MAL

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading up on lawsuits regarding the NFL and found an interesting article I think this site might enjoy. It's a list about the 32 most shocking lawsuits each team has gone through, tons of wild ones in here. Think it's a good real for sportshoopla fans.

Not gonna do it

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question for all.
At what age did you realize playing tackle football was bad for your health. I was about 8 when I KNEW it was a dangerous game. Did that stop me from wanting to play? No. But I knew the playing time would be limited in the long run.

These guys acting as though they didn't understand the dangers is laughable.

I think when I first learned to walk was when I realized this was a dangerous sport...

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsflash: Most of you former players and current players will have to get real jobs when your careers are over. Yeah, it sucked not having a retirement plan but you knew that, you knew the risks of the games too.

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about we blame this on the person that actually took the drugs .. they had the option to say NO.. people need to be responsible for themselves and their own actions too

Yep, they had the option to get cut.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys should have to meet Kenny Easley in a dark alley and explain why he didn't have a beef with the Seahawks and their doctors at the time.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More people upset that they weren't protected from themselves.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it's like there is an alternative to painkillers that the NFL is painfully slow to adopt or anything. :doobs: