• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Duck Hunting Spot

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My club leased a new duck hunting spot this year. First one they've leased as far as I know. Decided to go take a look at it Saturday, and actually spooked 7 ducks off it around 11:00 am. It's been about 6 years since I've duck hunted and I always hunted big water in the past so if any of you have tips that would be appreciated. It's located about a section and a half from a major lake, so I'm hoping hunting pressure from there might bring some ducks my way. It's gonna have to get colder before many ducks start making their way down though. I'll attach some pictures.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMG_0829.JPG

Those ducks we're just on the other side of those tall reeds out in the middle of the water. That's the deepest part of the water. Back toward the righ where more tall reeds are the water is about calf deep.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMG_0835.JPG

Same spot from the same shoreline but from the opposite side.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lookin spot... Only concerned with the cover along the bank. I'd definitely set up along that brush/tree line in that pic with my decoy spread about 15yd off the bank. Trail it off towards those reeds to give it a wider range.

If you can give us some details on your gear availability that would help us give you some pointers... Here's a thread from a while ago that got some good feedback.

Duck Hunting: Tricks, Tips and What Works

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takes more than a few trips out on new spots to get the duck behaviors down to a science. But it is definitely worthwhile. Always take note of where they hang out and target those areas for your decoy spreads.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMG_0839.JPG

This is area is back to the right of those reeds to the right in the distance in that first picture.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lookin spot... Only concerned with the cover along the bank. I'd definitely set up along that brush/tree line in that pic with my decoy spread about 15yd off the bank. Trail it off towards those reeds to give it a wider range.

If you can give us some details on your gear availability that would help us give you some pointers... Here's a thread from a while ago that got some good feedback.

Duck Hunting: Tricks, Tips and What Works

Yeah, there's not much cover along the shore. I considered whether setting up in those tall reeds back to the righ in that first picture might be an option. I'd be sitting in slightly above ankle deep water most likely, but that's why we have waders I guess. I'd also need to bring a platform for my dog. What do you think of setting up with a layout blind on the shore though?

As for equipment. I have two dozen mallard decoys, a mojo teal decoy, my layout blind... and could acquire whatever I need within reason.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there's not much cover along the shore. I considered whether setting up in those tall reeds back to the righ in that first picture might be an option. I'd be sitting in slightly above ankle deep water most likely, but that's why we have waders I guess. I'd also need to bring a platform for my dog. What do you think of setting up with a layout blind on the shore though?

As for equipment. I have two dozen mallard decoys, a mojo real decoy, my layout blind... and could acquire whatever I need within reason.
Whatever suits your fancy, really. If you go with the uncovered layout blind setup just make sure that you're completely buried. Being exposed out of cover makes the finer details all the more important. Things like gun wraps, head-wear coverage, etc. Whatever you think looks like it doesn't belong will stick out like sore thumbs to the birds. Make sure you keep your face covered, along with anything flashy like glass lenses (eye glasses, watches, etc). And stay absolutely still. Don't crane your head around to look at birds, only use your eyes.

I'd suggest giving it a shot. If the birds aren't comin in then adjust your tactics. There's no wrong way of doing it, just details.

As for your equipment, you've got it made. Depending on how competitive the area is, I like to stick with limiting to 2-dozen decoys. Anything more is overkill. U & V shapes are unanimously the popular spreads. Face the open end of the spread down wind (with the wind at your back, run the 2 legs of the U or V out from your blind). You can also setup parallel to the U spread so the shape looks like a C or backwards C from your vantage point. Put the Mojo anywhere along the spread so long as you maintain a landing zone.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would place your decoys where you saw live birds in the most open water although if there's wind, you'll want them protected from wind. Then I'd set up my little invention right here. I think I've posted this before but it's so simple and so effective on small ponds, I'll repeat myself.

This is some decoys sitting on a pond:

b4c5e703-69aa-4b75-a35c-b06c87ecc8bb_zpsktdnpqa7.jpg

...and this is a group of ducks splashing around on a pond:

4d2ffb1e-88b8-446b-abd2-336f07f80049_zpsrbxjbe9v.jpg

I just cut the bottom off of a clear 2 liter soda bottle, drilled some holes for water to drain and hose clamped it upside down to the shaft of an old fiberglass golf pin. I push the stick down into the muddy bottom til the bottle is level with the surface, tie black ice fishing line to the pin and just a few short tugs from the blind gets the surface of the pond rippling. Sometimes I barely bother to call. As soon as they see the activity, they drop in. The difference is night and day over stagnant water.

Your mojo is great too but this is cheap and simple and if you do catch a little skim ice in the morning, this will keep the water open.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would spread dec's at both ends, that bush in the middle of the bank would be perfect for you and the dog.
leave open water in front of you and that is perfect kill zone

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunted itthis morning. Saw some birds, but most took a look and went on. I'm thinking they're residential birds that have been shot at plenty. Plus, it was clear and warm with no wind. Not good conditions. However, the number of ducks I saw was promising. They just didn't want whatever I was offering today.

That said, today was more a scouting trip and giving my dog a morning in the blind. He did great and sat very still next to my lay out blind. However, next time I think I'm going to set up in the grass/reeds across the water from me in that third picture.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would place your decoys where you saw live birds in the most open water although if there's wind, you'll want them protected from wind. Then I'd set up my little invention right here. I think I've posted this before but it's so simple and so effective on small ponds, I'll repeat myself.

This is some decoys sitting on a pond:

b4c5e703-69aa-4b75-a35c-b06c87ecc8bb_zpsktdnpqa7.jpg

...and this is a group of ducks splashing around on a pond:

4d2ffb1e-88b8-446b-abd2-336f07f80049_zpsrbxjbe9v.jpg

I just cut the bottom off of a clear 2 liter soda bottle, drilled some holes for water to drain and hose clamped it upside down to the shaft of an old fiberglass golf pin. I push the stick down into the muddy bottom til the bottle is level with the surface, tie black ice fishing line to the pin and just a few short tugs from the blind gets the surface of the pond rippling. Sometimes I barely bother to call. As soon as they see the activity, they drop in. The difference is night and day over stagnant water.

Your mojo is great too but this is cheap and simple and if you do catch a little skim ice in the morning, this will keep the water open.
Rippling or splashing is always a great call! I go with a tethered setup. Tether all the dec's (individually anchor-weighted) to one carabiner with various lengths (depends on what setup you want). Then rope a main line to the carabiner that extends back to where you're setup. I use all black cording for everything. You can scatter the spread how you see fit so long as each individual decoy cord to the caribiner is taught. Tug the main line to give the splash effect. Works great, and if you do it right, it doesn't require much movement at all.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunted itthis morning. Saw some birds, but most took a look and went on. I'm thinking they're residential birds that have been shot at plenty. Plus, it was clear and warm with no wind. Not good conditions. However, the number of ducks I saw was promising. They just didn't want whatever I was offering today.

That said, today was more a scouting trip and giving my dog a morning in the blind. He did great and sat very still next to my lay out blind. However, next time I think I'm going to set up in the grass/reeds across the water from me in that third picture.
Definitely not good conditions. Need that cold weather to keep the birds closer to the surface. You need to do a lot of work to get the birds to turn on you if the weather is that nice. Rippling/splashing your decoys, as mentioned above, is a great maneuver if the mojo isn't doing any justice.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plenty of good suggestions here, not much to add but you're on the right track. I would say with the change in the weather coming soon, the central flyway will begin to see a considerable increase in movement and you should continue to scout, scout, scout and scout some more, if your schedule and time permits. Always helps me the most, when hunting a new spot. Best of luck to you and your dog!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not good conditions. Need that cold weather to keep the birds closer to the surface. You need to do a lot of work to get the birds to turn on you if the weather is that nice. Rippling/splashing your decoys, as mentioned above, is a great maneuver if the mojo isn't doing any justice.

What do you think of setting up two groups of decoys on opposite edges of that last picture I posted? The ducks I saw that days didn't seem interested in landing among other decoys. Thinking of putting two groups at opposite ends and setting myself up in a killzone in the middle.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think of setting up two groups of decoys on opposite edges of that last picture I posted? The ducks I saw that days didn't seem interested in landing among other decoys. Thinking of putting two groups at opposite ends and setting myself up in a killzone in the middle.
If you can manage it, then hell yes. Increases your odds drastically. Mind the wind with your dec layouts though. If the landing zones are sailing directly over your head then its a hard shot to manage.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunted it again this morning. Conditions were better being overcast with a 15mph wind. Set up in some cat tails with the wind in our faces. Ducks were dropping right in at first light. After a couple of good flights it slowed down considerably, but we still did okay. I think this is one of those spots where you need to have it dialed in and take advantage of the shots you get first thing in the morning. Ended up killing 6 ducks in total. I'll take that over having to fight people for big public hunting water any day.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gonna have to get colder before many ducks start making their way down though.

Looks to me, w/o knowing the depth of the lake, that this spot would freeze over quicky in a week of sub-freezing weather.

I always have hunted ducks an such in the salt water marsh bays, which never freeze over. Great looking spot. Should plant corn or other feed sources (irrigated thru summer) along the banks with crudely made blinds in wind protected and sun glare protection of course. Happy hunting and thanks for sharing.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this idea. Going to try it this coming up weekend. Thinking conduit piping would work the same as the golf pin.