• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need some help from a mechanic

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its a vacuum canister problem or a loose vacuum line. Two vacuum lines connect up font. One to distributer and one to emissions. If your truck doesn't have emissions make sure that one is plugged. Should have one timed and one full vacuum. Make sure they are not swapped.

View attachment 158279
I hooked it up the same as the old one.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hooked it up the same as the old one.

picture.php

Check the Vac. amplifier ....that is probably the problem. You can buy them for less than a $100. If it don't fix problem bring it back.

Bayou Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite the reason I am leaning towards a vacuum issue with your engine is that the engine ran for quite a while at one time (10 mins.) with everything connected as it was supposed to be.

Then suddenly the engine stalls out and dies. You were getting fuel and spark and the air mixture needed to run the engine. Those systems seem to work until something else causes the engine to stall.

Unlike today's engines with a computer and tons of sensors....back then all they had was vacuum.

Something in that system is malfunctioning IMO.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite the reason I am leaning towards a vacuum issue with your engine is that the engine ran for quite a while at one time (10 mins.) with everything connected as it was supposed to be.

Then suddenly the engine stalls out and dies. You were getting fuel and spark and the air mixture needed to run the engine. Those systems seem to work until something else causes the engine to stall.

Unlike today's engines with a computer and tons of sensors....back then all they had was vacuum.

Something in that system is malfunctioning IMO.
So how can I check that system? Is there a tool I need to check it?

Bayou Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how can I check that system? Is there a tool I need to check it?

Auto zone or any parts store has them. Used to bleed brakes too. A must have.

Mityvac MV8000 - Automotive Tune Up and Brake Bleeding Kit

8050832_in1.jpg

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I first got the Wagoneer, it would run like a top for about 10 minutes and then go to shit. Turned out it was the coil wouldn't work right after it got hot. The guy before me had put an MSD ignition on it and I think the pull was too much for the shitty coil.

That and the little rubber thing falling off the back of the carb were my only two issues with that beast...should've kept it.
Going to change out the coil today and see what happens.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope that's it. Chasing down a vacuum issue is like chasing down an electrical problem sometimes.
Not the coil. Changed it and no difference. Switch the vacuum hose/cap, no change. That is leading me to believe that its a vacuum issue. Dude at the parts store told me it might be the electronic choke. I was like, "yeah, but it was doing it with a manual choke too." He said he doesn't think it was a vacuum issue, I said,"OK thanks."
Its kind of sad that I get better advice on this site than at the parts shop. The dude has a 69 fast mustang in the parking lot, old as dirt, I thought he might know something.