• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need a new (to me) car

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people want to give their input:

@ktg8trgrl
@Winged_Wheel88
@moxie
@bonham
@TemptressToo
@Shelby
@Rex Racer
@outofyourmind
@B_dub
@romeo212000
@tnapucco
@KansasSooner
@Jtrain80
@BoomerNTX
@Wishbone
@MarkOU
@sooner78wakeboard
@Scapegoat
@Proud_Okie
@Wheat
@Goldbug
@Pariah
@BusSport
@8085sooner
@Nosferatu
@thunderc
@Kevin12773
@Vitamike
@PhilSimms11
@GhostRiderRushville
@boltfan72
@SteelersPride
@packerzrule
@Used 2 B Hu
@Peter Gozintite
@TigerBait1971
@puckhead
@craigk217
@Inimical
@batchaps4me
@Manster7588
@Ewa PGH Fan
@pitman
@BoiseMike19
@BTHOtu
@BritishDolfan
@popeyecv64
@BigRedMoe
@gobigred
@gohusk
@Brasky
@huskers1217
@Tomhusker
@it'sHuskers4me
@HuskerOC
@Skerpokes
@Stinky56
@Carnzo
@KingKoolKat75
@58crash
@Eugene Baker III
@AlaskaGuy
@Guns N Guitars
@fordman84
@TheRangerDude
@beardown07
@omarsrevenge
@thedddd
@TheDayMan
@Olyduck
@lilchi721
@Used 2 B Hu
@USCDoom
@darken65
@mcnabb7542
@Debbie Does
@ill
@Wild Turkey
@7Samurai13
@RobToxin
@RobBase
@Inquisitor95
@Hook'Em0608
@TexasExes98
@Codaxx
@Texas Jefe
@TexasExes98
@ElTexan
@bamabear82
@Bamabino
@Bandwagonbo2
@theSabanator20
@GoldRusher
@There is A Moose at 3rd
@Cowboyinexile
@boomtown
@Wedgie
@potzer25
@Harry Seaword
@MISKO
@fordman84
@JuiceTheGator
@douggie
@FaCe-LeE-uS
@NEhomer
@obxyankeefan
@LambeauLegs
@handicappers
@Balljim55
@DetroitDevil
@Tin Man
@Nasty_Magician
@bocomo007
@Guy Incognito
@Think McFly Think
@Ritzarmy
@UK Cowboy
@wlk3
@MilkSpiller22
@Shanemansj13
@mr.hockey4242
@Mebert
@Godstree
@steveringo
@Wamu
@VFL1995
@trojanfan12
@socaljim242
@BigKen
@TheRobotDevil
@Clayton
@ATL96Steeler
@Tubbs1518
@IndyAndy
@The Crimson King
@gandydancer
@SJ76
@Wings
@wildturkey
@DrewScott
@TrustMeIamRight
@MAIZEandBLUE09
@Wingingit
@mall3013
@Airraidtech
@clemtheslowson
@Judge Fudge
@Macho Grande
@Dolgevillefootballfan
@seahawksfan234
@DutchBird
@PEOPLESCHICKEN
@megalodon30
@BigAppleBadger
@Bojack_Horseman
@Sharkonabicycle
@cwerph
@Deep Creek
@olympicoscar
@Vyle203
@ericd7633
@iowajerms
@rmilia1
@wingsauce7
@jwolt92
@nathans8823
@Fish
@Caneman
@Old Lion
@black francis
@blindbaby
@NCChiFan
@Duke of Douchington
@Full Potato
@Shower Fart
@Chris p Bacon
@God
@Midnightangel
@Used 2 B Hu
@Sexual Chocolate
@Used 2 B Hu
@Bayou Tiger
of course you want my input..its highly revered and widely accepted by people more important than you

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I love my F-650. It has plenty of room, comfortable and can pull just about anything.

$_3.JPG

You stole my truck you A**hole!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certain additives and detergents found in OEM that aftermarket doesn’t have.
This is just not true.

First of all detergents are additives, just like anti-wear additives, dispersants, viscosity improvers, and corrosion inhibitors. These are all added to a base oil. It's the base oil that is either a mineral oil (conventional) or usually a PAO (synthetic) but can be a Group V (synthetic)

Full synthetics are not aromatics like mineral oil is, (that's why they don't have a strong oil order from the bottle) so they don't have the evaporative loss as a conventional motor oil. Plus they are more stable, have a higher VI index and don't have all of the toxic crap found in mineral oil, so they have the capacity for super treating the base oil with a robust additive package. (whether they do or not depend on the manufacturer) Also they are generally low ash, so they are actually a good fit for turbo chargers.

Man I could go on & on, but this is what I do for a living...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm aware of the stuff I just don't trust going that long without an oil change and I would never recommend it to a customer driving a Porsche.

They have nothing to gain from lying about the quality so it probably works. But I wouldn't take the chance.
You are right, but it's not about trust, it's about performing condition based monitoring tactics that verify. (It's what they do well at nucular power plants)

With motor oil, it's simply doing a TBN oil analysis (OA). When the TBN intersects the TAN, it's usually time to change the oil even if the viscosity, and additive package is fine. (the labs has standards to determine if the oil is suitable) Also things like coolant or fuel can make their way in the motor oil I suppose, so OA can determine this too.

The best part about OA is the compiled lubricant data history, which can let you know if their is ever a lubricant issue or a wear metal issue. A clean slate adds value when your ready to sell your vehicle, also if found, the types of wear metals can possibly help determine the type of repairs.

Harry Seaword

Hoopla Cash
$ 266.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right, but it's not about trust, it's about performing condition based monitoring tactics that verify. (It's what they do well at nucular power plants)

With motor oil, it's simply doing a TBN oil analysis (OA). When the TBN intersects the TAN, it's usually time to change the oil even if the viscosity, and additive package is fine. (the labs has standards to determine if the oil is suitable) Also things like coolant or fuel can make their way in the motor oil I suppose, so OA can determine this too.

The best part about OA is the compiled lubricant data history, which can let you know if their is ever a lubricant issue or a wear metal issue. A clean slate adds value when your ready to sell your vehicle, also if found, the types of wear metals can possibly help determine the type of repairs.

Damn son. Did you go to lube tech college?

I'm going to have a talk with the boss first thing in the morning.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn son. Did you go to lube tech college?

I'm going to have a talk with the boss first thing in the morning.
Actually teach this shit to Industrial Plant Engineers, and Technical Engineers all the way down to the dudes who turn the wrenches as part of their CI and Reliability programs. Been certified to teach lubrication for years.

I have a class coming up in couple of weeks with a Milling Group.

What do you do Harry?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing oil is overrated.
Let the next owner deal with it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My penis is actually pretty decent sized, I don't needvto compensate by buying a big truck.

No trucks. I don't need the bed. Although I admit ive looked at tge vvhevy avalanche, i liked those.

OK
These 2 posts tell me that you aren't a real truck guy.
Chevy Avalanche???

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing oil is overrated.
That is exactly why I use a full synthetic and perform OA. I have 125K on my Dodge Ram, and I've only done 5 oil changes since 2009! (Well except for the two free oil changes I got from Dodge when I bought it)

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just looking to avoid the CVT that they're starting to put in so many things. Those things suck.

The only thing that annoys me with the CVT in my Murano is the simulated shifts it adds when pushing the accelerator past 70%. Just because i want to go fast doesn't mean I need the car to make transmission noises artificially.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you get the high mileage oil filter all is good.

That thing weighs a ton when it's used up.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, go with honda if you want to hear every groove, bump, and deformity in the road regardless of what you spend on tires. I've tried the quietest of Michellin tires to get rid of road noise, and Honda just loves to keep you in tune with the road I guess. :)

sound dampening costs extra money. You only get that in Honda's luxury brand.

Harry Seaword

Hoopla Cash
$ 266.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually teach this shit to Industrial Plant Engineers, and Technical Engineers all the way down to the dudes who turn the wrenches as part of their CI and Reliability programs. Been certified to teach lubrication for years.

I have a class coming up in couple of weeks with a Milling Group.

What do you do Harry?

Smog tech and repair tech at a modest shop in San Bernardino. I make my money solving check engine light an emissions problems.

I like your job description better and I'm sure it pays more.

Y'all hiring?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's 14, start teaching her on this vehicle. I applaud you for teaching your children on a stick. I did. My 20 year old daughter learned to drive manual. Her current car is a manual. She tells me how none of her friends (boys or girls) know how. My 15 year old has been driving a manual transmission for 2 years now. I take her onto back roads and let her drive.

True!

My daughter learned on a stick, drives a manual 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta. When she went to the States with friends the lineup at the border was long and she had to go to the bathroom. Nobody could inch the car along in the line up while she attempted a bio break.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smog tech and repair tech at a modest shop in San Bernardino. I make my money solving check engine light an emissions problems.

I like your job description better and I'm sure it pays more.

Y'all hiring?
I have straight commission jobs available, not for everyone...

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just missed the opportune time of the year to buy a new vehicle, but I'm also not in a huge hurry either. My car just rolled over 100k, and lots of little stuff is starting to go wrong. Just recently had to replace all 4 tires, my windshield wipers, and both front low beams within a month or so of each other. Belts of some sort are squeaking on startup but then are fine after 2-3 minutes. The clutch is starting to squeel, too cold to check, but brake pads have got to be due. Etc. Just a bunch of stuff I don't want to deal with on an old car. The big thing is it burns through about a quart of oil every week (500 miles ish).

And the biggest problem of all is that while I love driving my little subaru impreza, my 3 kids have officially outgrown it. And at 14, 12, and 10 they're not done growing yet either.

Looking for something big enough for everyone. But I still need AWD. And I'm not officially set on prices, but I put ~25,000 miles on a car every year so need low miles to start with if I want to avoid being the guy left holding the hot potato when the music stops.

So far I'm looking at
* 14-15 Acura MDX's. I really like this generation of MDX, but it's kind of more than I wanted to spend at around $25k
* 16-17 Honda Pilot not quite as luxurious, but almost as nice. If that makes sense. Probably cheaper to fix as well.
* Ford Escapes under 50k miles. Not sure what years I'm looking at yet, I don't know how long the model years were, but an acquaintance had a 17 that seemed really nice and a much better deal financially than the Honda. Would only get with the v6 ecoboost. The others are apparently dogs.
* Really looking at just stepping up to the Subaru Legacy with the 3.6 h6. But not sure it will be big enough for the kids, and will still feel too big to me.
* Chevy Traverse I keep hearing great things about these but I've never even looked at one really in person.
* and out of left field there seems to gevgreat deals to be had on older low mileage Porsche Cayennes. Would obviously be the most fun to drive, but I'm not sure I want to pay Porsche repair bills. And I don't know about their longevity. Porsche has the highest build quality of anything I'm looking at, but aren't exactly known for their owners putting 100k+ on them.

Anybody have strong feelings about any of those to look closer at? Or which to avoid? Anything else in the same crossover suv segment to look at, or just mid to full size cars that I'm ignoring?

I have the answer!

A client of mine owns a Firestone store. He said the best value in a used car right now is easily the Chevy SS. It's like a 415hp BMW 6 series for 20 grand after only a couple years used.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Doug's review and looked into it. But they're $30k not 20. Same year and same mileage they actually are priced higher than the MDX's I like so much. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna end up going with one of those.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put my butt in the seat of 1/2 the cars for sale in Michigann it feels like. I think I've got it as figured out as I ever will, which isn't all that much. I'm still going back and forth on what I really want. I'll probably just go with whatever the best deal i can find out of my short list, because every 30 seconds I change my mind.

1. Infiniti QX70 - I almost gave up on this car, tried getting in and it almost didn't let me in. I absolutely couldn't climb sideways into the car like I always have. Had to sit down backwards and like bend and scoot and I'm sure I looked ridiculous, I know it felt awward and ridiculous. Almost turned around and left right then. But once inside it was l like a silk glove, I don't know if it was technically the most comfortable but it fit me the best. And it was by far the best driving car of everything I tested out. Not super important but its IMO the best looking too. Still cringe about getting in every day though. Pretty pricey too.
2. Acura MDX - 2nd hardest to get into. Not nearly as bad as the Infiniti, but awkward. Looks almost as nice, probably more comfortable to 99% of people, almost as comfortable to me. Almost as nice to drive. Almost as fast. Almost as good looking. Almost the same price too. When I get nervous about getting in the Infiniti this jumps into the lead.
3. Audi Q7 - not even really counting it most of the time. It's about $5k more than I wanted to spend. But I keep trying to talk myself into it. It's not just better than everything else I drove, it's SIGNIFICANTLY better. But I'm sure so is the Bentayga, it would be easier to ignore if it was further out of my price range.
4. Lincoln MKT - nervous about this one. I cant find one local to even sit in much less drive. And its ugly as sin. But all my truck friends rave about the 3.5 ecoboost engine, same one they put in F-150's I guess. They love to point out that a revised version of that same engine is in the Ford GT and the Raptor. And the MKX that I drove was nice. Not for me, but nice. The MKX had like bench seats almost, barely any bolstering and the 3.7 engine in that felt really gentlemanly. Old gentlemanly, just too reserved for me. The MKT would be the fastest car of everything I drove, so I doubt its quite as reserved.
5. Mazda CX9 - honestly this is probably what I'll end up in. It's by far the slowest thing that i drove, but didn't feel like it. Definitely felt faster than a Traverse, MKX, Pilot, or an Edge. Drove both a 2015 v6 and a 2016 turbo 4. Both felt nearly the same, if anythingbbthev4 felt more usable. '16 is beautiful. Probably second best looking IMO. Drives right there with the Acura. Creature comforts it's closer to the entry luxury brands than it was to the Ford, Chevy, Honda, Nissan, etc stuff. Closer to but not quite there. The leather and electronics and stuff aren't enough to make up for being so much cheaper. I would get this car in half a second if it just had a bit more horsepower. But it's probably still what I'll end up with.

I still have a friend who works at a large dealership group looking into some things for me. And if i don't find a good enough deal I can wait until 2019 models start coming out in the summer. 3-4 months won' change much for me, but it will make everything else look that much older.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put my butt in the seat of 1/2 the cars for sale in Michigann it feels like. I think I've got it as figured out as I ever will, which isn't all that much. I'm still going back and forth on what I really want. I'll probably just go with whatever the best deal i can find out of my short list, because every 30 seconds I change my mind.

1. Infiniti QX70 - I almost gave up on this car, tried getting in and it almost didn't let me in. I absolutely couldn't climb sideways into the car like I always have. Had to sit down backwards and like bend and scoot and I'm sure I looked ridiculous, I know it felt awward and ridiculous. Almost turned around and left right then. But once inside it was l like a silk glove, I don't know if it was technically the most comfortable but it fit me the best. And it was by far the best driving car of everything I tested out. Not super important but its IMO the best looking too. Still cringe about getting in every day though. Pretty pricey too.
2. Acura MDX - 2nd hardest to get into. Not nearly as bad as the Infiniti, but awkward. Looks almost as nice, probably more comfortable to 99% of people, almost as comfortable to me. Almost as nice to drive. Almost as fast. Almost as good looking. Almost the same price too. When I get nervous about getting in the Infiniti this jumps into the lead.
3. Audi Q7 - not even really counting it most of the time. It's about $5k more than I wanted to spend. But I keep trying to talk myself into it. It's not just better than everything else I drove, it's SIGNIFICANTLY better. But I'm sure so is the Bentayga, it would be easier to ignore if it was further out of my price range.
4. Lincoln MKT - nervous about this one. I cant find one local to even sit in much less drive. And its ugly as sin. But all my truck friends rave about the 3.5 ecoboost engine, same one they put in F-150's I guess. They love to point out that a revised version of that same engine is in the Ford GT and the Raptor. And the MKX that I drove was nice. Not for me, but nice. The MKX had like bench seats almost, barely any bolstering and the 3.7 engine in that felt really gentlemanly. Old gentlemanly, just too reserved for me. The MKT would be the fastest car of everything I drove, so I doubt its quite as reserved.
5. Mazda CX9 - honestly this is probably what I'll end up in. It's by far the slowest thing that i drove, but didn't feel like it. Definitely felt faster than a Traverse, MKX, Pilot, or an Edge. Drove both a 2015 v6 and a 2016 turbo 4. Both felt nearly the same, if anythingbbthev4 felt more usable. '16 is beautiful. Probably second best looking IMO. Drives right there with the Acura. Creature comforts it's closer to the entry luxury brands than it was to the Ford, Chevy, Honda, Nissan, etc stuff. Closer to but not quite there. The leather and electronics and stuff aren't enough to make up for being so much cheaper. I would get this car in half a second if it just had a bit more horsepower. But it's probably still what I'll end up with.

I still have a friend who works at a large dealership group looking into some things for me. And if i don't find a good enough deal I can wait until 2019 models start coming out in the summer. 3-4 months won' change much for me, but it will make everything else look that much older.

I had the MKT for awhile when the babies were born. It's awesome. It's really a serious grown-up's car. It drives as nicely as ANY other car and the utility of the big hatchback is tits. Mine just had the 3.7L. At 110mph on the highway, it felt like my big Mercedes used to.

One day, when I finally have a chauffeur, I'll be driven in the back of one of those...that's the place to be. Friends who rode back there would say "day-um! this is nice." I had the option where there's a little refrigerator between the back seats. Sadly, it only carried breastmilk.