• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska vs Tennessee bowl game

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reason he can not say they are academically ineligible?
Not sure but also not sure why that matters. I would think seeing someone unable to play in a bowl game their senior year would be plenty of a message without having to have the coach call the guy out in the media.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but also not sure why that matters. I would think seeing someone unable to play in a bowl game their senior year would be plenty of a message without having to have the coach call the guy out in the media.
Because it would be the difference between not addressing it and not being allowed to address it.

I think we just see this in different ways, maybe because of our age differential.
I see 22 year olds as full grown men in that they should accept full responsibility for their actions but not in the sense of making mature decisions with the wisdom of years of experiencing responsibility for their decisions.

Sometimes the difference between a successful 22 year old and a 22 year old out their dangling in the wind is that someone who has already seen the result of such actions chooses to put a foot in their ass.

That is not taking any responsibility away from him, it is not expecting anyone to babysit him. It is hoping that someone in his life with wisdom and experience will mentor him and a coach is usually the perfect person to do it because of the leverage they can exert.

That is how I look at it anyway with years of mistakes and then finally years of figuring out how to make it work.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thought: Do you know if the guy even wanted to play in the bowl? With the fact that a few weeks back his team was 7-0 and very likely to go to the championship game and a play off or major bowl I find it hard to believe that he was even planning to play in a bowl, let alone a meaningless bowl.
No he knew he would have NFL potential and moved on to the next stage, damned a degree and damned his team.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it would be the difference between not addressing it and not being allowed to address it.

I think we just see this in different ways, maybe because of our age differential.
I see 22 year olds as full grown men in that they should accept full responsibility for their actions but not in the sense of making mature decisions with the wisdom of years of experiencing responsibility for their decisions.

Sometimes the difference between a successful 22 year old and a 22 year old out their dangling in the wind is that someone who has already seen the result of such actions chooses to put a foot in their ass.

That is not taking any responsibility away from him, it is not expecting anyone to babysit him. It is hoping that someone in his life with wisdom and experience will mentor him and a coach is usually the perfect person to do it because of the leverage they can exert.

That is how I look at it anyway with years of mistakes and then finally years of figuring out how to make it work.
I agree with most everything you said. I just don't necessarily think that mentoring needs to be done in front of the media. Riley is pretty open with how he runs the program, so I trust he is doing what is best for both the team and the individual.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not so much for him as for those that come after him. TO set the standard per se. And you are right about his openness which is why it caught me off guard that he basically said that wasn't my decision, I'm not going to discuss it.
Now if Gerry was dumb as a rock and just couldn't pass the classes that's another story but he is not.

He lost interest and I would of hoped that Riley would of spoke to the basic expectations of someone that will be a part of his team. Perhaps how the team was let down and those who choose not to maintain their foundation can not be a part of the team and as such loses use of the facilities that those who see through their responsibilities to their school and their team get.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we are doing laps with this though. Perhaps we need to agree to disagree again.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he may still do that. Gerry put his mea culpa out on Twitter shortly after Riley's comments. Maybe he wanted the kid to have a chance to stand up and say he was wrong before discussing it publicly.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's annual, not by semester. I did the same thing and would have gotten it revoked after my first semester if it wasn't.

had some REALLY poor advisers.. think i ended the year about .05 from keeping it, still was fully covered by grants but i coulda been rich off aid~

do blame myself, but man was i in some classes i should not have been in

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got my hammerpants all cleaned up for tonight, look good-feel good fellers

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pot should be legal. Especially for contact sports! I would sooner vape some wax than ingest heroin i mean oxy....and get addicted to pain killers.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know about the lack of eligible teams, but because of Nebraska's academic standards they were ahead of some other piss poor record teams. Maybe Riley doesn't care as much about academics as he should, but with his level of coaching he should thank his lucky stars that academics was a huge factor in the bowl appearance after last season.

Nebraska S Nate Gerry issues statement on Twitter about his suspension
Yes academics put us i believe at #1 of 5-7 teams or maybe #2 but the #1 declined, i forget but it was around there

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya all can say one thang or a nother
but the bottom line is this we have a goffy coach that will not get us thar
the Volenteers will prove that !!

Mike Riley is to soooooofft and puuuuuuuffffy to be at the helm of the wheel to control the Husker Destiniy

this is a fact dudes

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish the kid luck, the injury really set him too far back. 2 out of 10 mehs pertaining to our WR room

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5807f84b11980.image.jpg

FNG

Chiefs Baby Chiefs!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spread is now up to 4 to as high as 6.5 for Vols. Weather going to be good for Friday Sunny and high around 48

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya all can say one thang or a nother
but the bottom line is this we have a goffy coach that will not get us thar
the Volenteers will prove that !!

Mike Riley is to soooooofft and puuuuuuuffffy to be at the helm of the wheel to control the Husker Destiniy

this is a fact dudes

As always, pops delivers words of wisdom.