• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nebraska @ Oregon -- 3:30 CST on FOX

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's funny how Fyfe did against a better defense {Tennessee's} than Lee did against Oregon's lesser defense. I predicted an 8 win season, but now maybe a 6 or 7 win season.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the game, but I heard bit and pieces at the wedding. I'll withhold any opinions until I watch it tomorrow.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels like year 1 again....new def, new qb ...

Patience will be tested this year

But for now osu wis psu are surefire Ls iowa might be too.

I just hope the gel fast

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love how people jump straight from conclusion to conclusion.

Reading comments on Facebook and suddenly we went from a 3-4 Defense that will "never work at Nebraska" to "they got it figured out in the 2nd half!"

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see now why we're not even "seriously" recruiting anyone to play olb this year, we're good there

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hog warsh, he's already twitter apologized for the stab he took at Urbs used Cars, I wish he would just commit to osu so other schools can stop wasting time, like us. Guy is this years Darnay
Seriously I says Oak

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i watched the 1st half of the game last night. (not enough time to get in the whole game because the kids thought i needed to play with them)

i actually wasn't as disappointed in the defense as i thought i was going to be. Herbert made several really really difficult throws to beat our guys that were in pretty good position. DB must have been reviewing some film last night as well because i saw some posts from him on the very things i was thinking.

Here was the 2nd TD on 3rd and Goal, Benning took a shot of when Herbert threw it, this is what he was looking at. the throw ends up in the back of the end zone on the left side of Kalu (a guy i'd want defending any WR on the field), it was well defended in my amateur opinion.

This was another long 3rd down completion when we were playing zone, Weber maybe stepped up too far on the play fake, but look how close this was to being tipped:
here it is in real time from DB:

just nothing you could do about this, we should have been off the field if the guy catches it, but instead a little luck:

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where i was most disappointed in the defense was when the ducks went fast, we had guys standing around looking to the side line. I feel like in these situations, you should have already have coached them up before the game and in the film room to just make a call on the field and get going, instead of looking to the side line. there were several times where they just ran the quick WR screen and our guys just weren't ready to defend it giving them some extra yards before we could make the tackle.

Where i was really disappointed in the 1st half was the Offense. some was on DL and some on the players. Morgan's miss on that 1st ball. i was more questioning the play call, it's your first offensive play and you are going to test the air right away? start with a run, let everyone get settled in. let the o-line release that built up adrenaline on the defense. their Safeties are still playing back because it's the first freaking play of the game and you haven't gashed them with the run yet. so when Morgan misses the ball, the buy is right there to catch that bounce. so that put us in a quick hole.

Then TL was just really poor being off on several open throws, not reading through progressions and WRs missing when the ball was there. that INT right before half, i think the play call was fine, but either TL or SM had the direction wrong and so it fell right into the DBs arms when TL threw it before the turn.

the o-line seemed pretty stout. Foster got smoked for one sack. he was too quick to help out Gates and couldn't recover on a delayed LB blitz. it's one of those plays where if we were on D, our LB would probably just run straight into the lineman, but their guy avoided Foster and made the play.

I'm going to try and watch the 2nd half tonight and see if i notice anything really different on defense.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finally finished the game. 2nd half thoughts.

D was better but still not great. it helped a lot that Oregon slowed it down and played into our hands by letting our guys get in calls and see things. also did a lot of inside runs which played to our strength. covered better. it left me optimistic for the games against Iowa and WIscy, but some of the teams that go quick could still be a problem, but hopefully more repetition gets our guys into better spots.

i heard an interesting stat on the radio today about our D having faced like the 3rd fastest pace in the country. at something like 14 seconds in between plays. so hopefully that helps slow the game downs for these guys and lets them read the plays better in the future.

Offensively - it was bad. TL just did not have a great game. he had some very poorly placed balls on open receivers, he threw multiple times into coverage and the times he did hit the receivers in the hands, they didn't help him out a whole lot. TL was holding the ball too long and was second guessing himself it looked like a few times. O-line was ok but not greater. Foster getting beat several times to allow pressure and just miscommunications (I think) and letting guys stuff plays that probably would have been there if one guy would have just put a minimal amount of effort into blocking that defender.

playcalling was kinda bad too. i thought DL could have stuck with the run a little more, especially when we got it to 14 in the 3rd Q and got that one interception that resulted in 0 points. we were on our come back and i thought their D was kinda deflated and we should have just pounded the rock right at them. some of the route combinations were kinda bad, one play had Hoppes running into one of the other WRs and then TL makes a horrible decision to throw to him anyway.

i'm missing this weekends game too, gotta go to the county fair.