• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska needs to be the hammer

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MR has stated such that WR's are more often than not the best athletes on the "HS" field and can fill a variety of positions, if they take an extra guy or two there im fine with that being KW is by far our best recruiter and he's in good with a ton of top rated players
Our OL recruiting is much better than we've had in many years, depth is the only issue which can't be solved in less than 3-4 cycles. DL has been an absolute disaster but we finally have a coach that can start to turn it around

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o-line redshirted a ton this year (4 guys i think: Farniok 4 star, Raridon 4star, Wilson 3 star, Brokop 3 star), a couple were pushing for playing time from what i heard.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have needs at wide receiver too. Who do we have who amounts to anything now? Count out any seniors and we have Stanley Morgan jr.
As for more lineman, I'm under the assumption that we'll get some of the targets too.

I hear what you are saying and I disagree with you.
I am not arguing that we don't need to build the line. I am just arguing that the current condition of the line is not because of Riley and he has done nothing to indicate he does not plan to do exactly that. He has one class signed yet you are condemning his recruiting because he goes after skill players too. Skill players we are losing. Sorry got to disagree with you. Maybe not in a couple of years, but right now I do.

I'm not saying giving up on WR's recruiting either. I'm saying take 4 but not 6 WR's. The Oline and Dline to me are more important areas of need. We do have DPE in the mix besides just SM jr. More games are determined by who wins the line of scrimmage then anything else. IF we don't have TA at QB this year there is no way we win 9 games. TA made the oline look better then it was.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, 4 really good ones would be good. Stanley and DPE, don't forget Spielman is supposed to be pretty good and redshirted. I thought Riemers was serviceable when he was in there, big body at 6'5". KJJ coming in for sure, and hopefully another big name or two that could step right in and play.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday what I saw from Nebraska we were the Nail and not the Hammer. We have better skilled players then Iowa and Wisconsin there is not doubt about that. When it comes to upfront we are not better then Wisconsin or Iowa and Ohio St and Michigan are light years ahead of us upfront. I don't give a shit about offense we run but we need to be able to dominate up front and we don't when we play opponents with equal talent. Riley and his staff have to place even more emphasis on recruiting offense and defensive lineman I don't give two shits about 5 star QB's and WR's when we can't even block and get four yards when we need it. The same goes for the front four and our linebackers. We flat out sucked against Iowa and Ohio St our front seven couldn't even keep basic gap contain and where flat footed. If Riley and his staff continue the same trend we will not see improvement we will be nothing more then a 9 and 4 football team. I hope Riley and this staff will place more emphasis on recruiting the big uglies and focus on being a more physical football team.
-------
Riley said at the first of the season his front line players had talent--implying if too many injuries occurred, we'd be less competitive. That's what happened. Our biggest issue is depth.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Riley said at the first of the season his front line players had talent--implying if too many injuries occurred, we'd be less competitive. That's what happened. Our biggest issue is depth.
He was being generous. 2-3 out of 5 of them have talent. All of the talented ones missed time with injury at some point as well.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I watched that shit show last night on the dvr. Gates is our best olinemen and he really is just a guard playing left tackle. Nebraska needs to get better talent on the oline and better coaching.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone else half assed the hole game but Gates wasn't as lucky plunging his head in the sand, stud filled up a great highlight reel, it was a huge humble pie and he probably needed it after almost 2 years of Best OL ribbons. Should be a nice training tool moving forward, he can get the nfl draft right out of his head for next year like he was planning lol

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my personal opinion, the practices have to get more physical. you can't ask 18-22yo OL and DL kids to play paddy cake in practice and then go out and turn on the physicality on Saturdays. guys just not holding their blocks long enough keep rushing plays 4-5 yds instead of being big runs. on defense, guys don't shed blockers nearly as quick as they could. too much damn patty cake during the week. I'm hoping this was a result of the injury problems and lack of experience and they'll get it figured out next year.

Supposedly their practices were much more physical for the bowl game.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not 100 percent blaming Gates. The coaching staff should have got him help. With a TE or RB. Also I wish they would have ran at Barnett instead of away. I think we could have used his motor against him a bit.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not 100 percent blaming Gates. The coaching staff should have got him help. With a TE or RB. Also I wish they would have ran at Barnett instead of away. I think we could have used his motor against him a bit.
Fvcking BINGO! When Gates came out looking slow, weak, and lackluster, the coaching staff should have schemed to give him help - line up 2 tackles out there or something. I was unimpressed by a certain board member that said, "It was expected" yesterday because if it was, the coaches would have had a clue as to how the heck to help the kid out.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fvcking BINGO! When Gates came out looking slow, weak, and lackluster, the coaching staff should have schemed to give him help - line up 2 tackles out there or something. I was unimpressed by a certain board member that said, "It was expected" yesterday because if it was, the coaches would have had a clue as to how the heck to help the kid out.

I'm not sure who said that, but it was expected. Going up against one of the best in the country. We knew it was coming.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure who said that, but it was expected. Going up against one of the best in the country. We knew it was coming.
Please by saying that you in essence are saying the coaching staff had no clue what to do about it and it showed. Put anybody out there to help except Trey Foster, that son-of-a-buck did absolutely nothing as if he didn't know the plays.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please by saying that you in essence are saying the coaching staff had no clue what to do about it and it showed. Put anybody out there to help except Trey Foster, that son-of-a-buck did absolutely nothing as if he didn't know the plays.

The staff knew about him, I just don't think it's as easy as double teaming the guy every down.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The staff knew about him, I just don't think it's as easy as double teaming the guy every down.

I have not watched the game yet. Not sure I am going to.

But what happened on counters and screens to keep Barnett off balance

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska used to have the D Tackles out as wide as Tenn did and Texas killed us by running straight over the tackle and kicked out on the DTs. There are ways to beat that alignment, but the staff has to be dedicated to doing so - not us tho, we are sling it first and run 2nd in mentality now.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was his point exactly. We knew what he was but our staff had not gameplanned for him.