• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND vs Purdue Game Day Thread:

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you misunderstand me, or perhaps I explained myself poorly. I understand how betting lines work.

ND was a 21 point favorite. So regardless of the fact that people were betting heavily on ND to win, the spread rises to promote betting on Purdue. That's how the spread gets so high. So, what that says is, the majority of people EXPECTED ND to win and as such they're betting that way, so the spread rises to promote betting on Purdue. Then people see that line and think hmmm, yep ND should win but I'm betting they don't win by 21, now you have a group betting on the line rather than straight up W vs. L, regardless of who they think will win, but the the higher the spread rises the more people expect the straight-up win for the Irish.

My point about the spread was not to infer that Vegas knew something someone else didn't it was to point out that due to the heavy betting on ND, MANY people felt ND should have won the game and the way the game unfolded should make us realize that yes, we were expected to win and damn near got beat.

Regardless of whether the paper ratings were over-rated to open the season, would you honestly say that you expected ND to lose to Purdue this past week? I wouldn't have and not because I'm some homer with Blue and Gold glasses but because we have a better football team than they do.

Purdue started a QB who'd never taken a College snap or any other level from my understanding and look at how he performed in that first half, we went down 10-0. Our 47th ranked Offense sputtered horribly for a whole half against their 56th rated Defense and their 112th rated Offense looked pretty good against our 55th ranked D. Those rankings aren't based on odds or how people are betting, now are they?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and my point was that nd is/was over-rated ... as they have been for most of 20 some years. did i expect them to lose to purdue? no! but i certainly didn't think it would be a cakewalk either. i predicted at least 4 losses with one of them coming to a lesser team ... and purdue was almost that team. i'm not saying nd is so bad they'll lose to most everyone but that i don't think they're a top 20 team. expectations by 'many people' does not mean nd under-achieved. and the somewhat flukish 4th quarter is nothing to go by either. it was apparent nd isn't nearly as good as the line may have indicated.

my only difference with you is you still see them as very talented but under-achieving .... i see them as over-rated and not nearly as good as 90% of the fans here think.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig,
With all due respect did you see Tommy Rees try to pick up the short yardage, it was beyond pathetic. He slowly inched his way to the line of scrimmage , turned his back and backpedaled facing the opposite way. I am not blaming Rees for the Irish woes but it is evident he has very little athletic ability. Did the receivers drop too many balls, absolutely. I watched the game over a couple of times and their is a lot of blame to go around.

I used to wonder why George Atkinson didn't play receiver, then it was abundantly clear, HE FLIPPIN CAN'T CATCH A BALL TO SAVE HIS LIFE. Davaris Daniels had a good game and T.J. Jones made a great catch but the crap performance was a team effort no doubt.