• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA playoff format change?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors send Klay. Klay shows up in a party bus, with tons of IG models and weed smoke flowing out from the top. Everyone else conceeds and joins the bus. Klay wins by default. Warriors champions once again.

You think Nikola Pekovic cares about models and partying? I am betting he would much rather fight to the death than party with models.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Nikola Pekovic cares about models and partying? I am betting he would much rather fight to the death than party with models.

Not with those bum legs of his. Klay will hit em with a hesi and Pek will shatter his achillies again. Then as he's writhing in pain on the ground, Klay cracks open a bottle of Stoli's and they become best friends. Because Klay just seems like a guy who you'd want to be friends with.

Klay again FTW.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with those bum legs of his. Klay will hit em with a hesi and Pek will shatter his achillies again. Then as he's writhing in pain on the ground, Klay cracks open a bottle of Stoli's and they become best friends. Because Klay just seems like a guy who you'd want to be friends with.

Klay again FTW.

Alright. Can't argue with that.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Klay again FTW.

This is exactly correct and precisely why Klay is my favorite Warrior

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, If we are being realistic, none of those guys are going. They are sending somebody expendable. That in mind, you need a crazy dude on the end of the bench.

Warriors probably send Matt Barnes. Cavs wave the white flag and send Jose Calderon.

Is Nikola Pekovic still in the NBA? If so, he wins.

Nah, Cavs send Khloe Kardashian and she kicks everybody's ass.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that. How badly will it affect the East?

Not that bad. The West really isn't that much better than the east after you get past those top 4-5 teams. You can make a solid case that the east is better from 6-15

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that bad. The West really isn't that much better than the east after you get past those top 4-5 teams. You can make a solid case that the east is better from 6-15

Yes, but will we see a West vs West Finals most years?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would definitely be more interesting than what we're going to have in round 1 this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would definitely be more interesting than what we're going to have in round 1 this year.

This change would be great for all West teams, tragically bad for the East.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would also cost the league major revenue when there isn't an East team in the playoffs past the second round. It's already hard during the finals when the games are out west and starting at 10:30 and there is an east team. But more late starts throughout the playoffs mean fewer eyes in major markets seeing games and ads, which is where the big money comes.

How many East teams are really going to miss out? Last year, it would've come down to a tie-breaker between the Bulls/Heat/Blazers at .500, so no East team gets bumped. Otherwise, we're only talking getting knocked out in the early rounds. Truthfully, not much impact on last year's playoffs IMO. The problem is having top heavy super-teams sweeping their way through, not whether those teams are from the East or West. 5,67 game series will draw more eyes than 4 game series without a doubt, regardless of time zone.

Of course, a more balanced schedule may affect the seeding from last year, but that's tough to quantify.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many East teams are really going to miss out? Last year, it would've come down to a tie-breaker between the Bulls/Heat/Blazers at .500, so no East team gets bumped. Otherwise, we're only talking getting knocked out in the early rounds. Truthfully, not much impact on last year's playoffs IMO. The problem is having top heavy super-teams sweeping their way through, not whether those teams are from the East or West. 5,67 game series will draw more eyes than 4 game series without a doubt, regardless of time zone.

Of course, a more balanced schedule may affect the seeding from last year, but that's tough to quantify.

Facts.

As I said before, I'm really not sure how much better the west is after the top 5. I feel like the 2 conferences are close to even slots 6-15 IMO. The West is obviously hands down better 1-5.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least in past years, both conferences have had a pretty equal # of cupcake teams on the schedule. This year, it looks like the East could be a lot worse on the bottom.

Teams in contention for Worst Team in the League:

Bulls, Magic, Pacers, Hawks, Nets, Knicks, Kings... 1 west team and 5 east teams.

People always overrate the difference of SOS between the conferences. (They always think the west schedule is way harder, but in reality, they've been almost identical year in and year out).

But, if the bottom of the league pans out as expected... I think we might see an actual signifigant disparity in SOS between the conferences.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always overrate the difference of SOS between the conferences. (They always think the west schedule is way harder, but in reality, they've been almost identical year in and year out).

Does that account for the fact that the schedule is unbalanced though?

If the West is the better conference at this point and the bottom of the West is playing more Western Conference opponents, doesn't it stand to reason that it would translate to more losses for the bottom of the West than the bottom of the East?

Example, I heard a show where they were talking about how the Lakers could actually be a better team than last year, but still not improve their record much over last year because they play in the West and the West got better in the off season.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that account for the fact that the schedule is unbalanced though?

If the West is the better conference at this point and the bottom of the West is playing more Western Conference opponents, doesn't it stand to reason that it would translate to more losses for the bottom of the West than the bottom of the East?

Example, I heard a show where they were talking about how the Lakers could actually be a better team than last year, but still not improve their record much over last year because they play in the West and the West got better in the off season.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Its complicated to think about, because each element affects the other.

That's why before the league can really talk about conference-less playoffs... the schedule has to be balanced.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's a fair point. Its complicated to think about, because each element affects the other.

That's why before the league can really talk about conference-less playoffs... the schedule has to be balanced.

Agree. I wonder if they would balance the schedule for a couple of seasons and see how it works (travel, scheduling, etc.) and then switch to conference-less playoffs if it seems to work okay and switch back if it doesn't?