• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My projected starters for 2012

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Offense)
WR 1: Jared Abbredaris; Jr
WR 2: Jeff Duckworth; Jr
TE: Brock DeCicco; Jr (probably my boldest prediction)
FB: Sharard Cadogan; So
RB: Montee Ball; Sr
QB: Curt Phillips; Sr
LT: Ricky Wagner; Sr
LG: Ryan Groy; Jr
C; Travis Frederick; Jr
RG; Dallas Lewallen; So
RT; Rob Havenstein; So

(Defense)
DE: Brandan Kelly; Sr
DE: David Gilbert; Sr
DT: Jordan Kohout; Jr
DT: Ethan Hemer; Jr
OLB: Mike Taylor; Sr
MLB: Chris Borland; Jr
OLB: Derek Landisch; So
CB: Devin Smith; Sr
CB: Marcus Cromartie; Sr
SS: Dezmen Southward; Jr
FS: Shelton Johnson; Sr

Did I make any mistakes here with classes? I think Smith was technically a senior last year but has another year of eligibility because of his injury. I had the hardest time with WR and LB. I see a bunch of guys who could make it in there.

Here are some guys I think could break my list by getting into the starting role.

Jacob Pedersen(TE:Jr), Beau Allen(DT:Jr), Peniel Jean(CB:So), Kenzel Doe(WR:So), Vince Biegel(LB:Fr), Jordan Fredrick(WR:So), Patrick Muldoon(DE:Jr)

Thoughts?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officially Pedersen will almost certainly start. Typically, the Badgers start 2 tight ends if you look at their line-ups, so Pedersen and DeCiccio will probably both count. I think Biegel has a good chance to start, or possibly DJ Singleton (at OLB, even though he was officially recruited as a safety). Dan Voltz has a decent shot to nab that guard spot. I know starting freshmen is rare on the O-Line, but he is physically better than Lewallen and he enrolled early. That would be my upset pick for a starter spot. It looks good outside of that.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officially Pedersen will almost certainly start. Typically, the Badgers start 2 tight ends if you look at their line-ups, so Pedersen and DeCiccio will probably both count. I think Biegel has a good chance to start, or possibly DJ Singleton (at OLB, even though he was officially recruited as a safety). Dan Voltz has a decent shot to nab that guard spot. I know starting freshmen is rare on the O-Line, but he is physically better than Lewallen and he enrolled early. That would be my upset pick for a starter spot. It looks good outside of that.

Generally speaking, the depth chart never lists the second Tight End as a starter. Never. It's pretty much always the fullback. I agree that they'll get two tight ends out there quite a bit.

It's kind of the popular theory that Singleton will move to outside linebacker, but I don't see that happening this season. I'm just a fan, but the situation I kind of expect for him is redshirt...grow into his body...and figure it out from there. If he maintains his speed and agility, he could be a MONSTER free safety...like a Ronnie Lott style smash em up kind of guy. If he bulks up and loses some acceleration and agility....yea sure put him in at linebacker, he could be a real disruptive kind of guy at OLB.

One guy I didn't think of until now. Connor O'Neil. Curious to see if he can win a starting job opposite Taylor for this season. There are a few guys that could make the linebacker race really interesting, including Singleton I guess.

I would really like to see Garner, Doe, Willis, or Fredrick do something this spring. Wouldn't it be nice of these rusty/newb quarterbacks had another solid target to hit? That Willis kid has some jets.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally speaking, the depth chart never lists the second Tight End as a starter. Never. It's pretty much always the fullback. I agree that they'll get two tight ends out there quite a bit.

When they introduced the starters at Camp Randall last year, Byrne and Pedersen were both there every single game. The Badgers website officially lists Byrne as the starter, but we both know Pedersen was the main TE. In other words, there will be a rotation this year. I guess Pedersen will probably be the official starter (because he has more experience), but we will see both. The same goes for the D-Line (we'll see a lot of Beau Allen, for example), that OLB spot, and the cornerback spot. I imagine the same will be true at WR, but I never really spent much time checking out the WR rotation under Matt Canada at NIU or Indiana.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they introduced the starters at Camp Randall last year, Byrne and Pedersen were both there every single game. The Badgers website officially lists Byrne as the starter, but we both know Pedersen was the main TE. In other words, there will be a rotation this year. I guess Pedersen will probably be the official starter (because he has more experience), but we will see both. The same goes for the D-Line (we'll see a lot of Beau Allen, for example), that OLB spot, and the cornerback spot. I imagine the same will be true at WR, but I never really spent much time checking out the WR rotation under Matt Canada at NIU or Indiana.

Sure. They list Byrne and Pedersen as starters. But that's because the website oddly lists 12 players on offense as starters. Neither ESPN nor Rivals have ever listed it that way. When have they ever NOT "had a rotation?" Of course there will be a rotation. It doesn't really apply to the starters list, because even though there is a rotation at defensive line(which again...there always has been/will be...why wouldn't you just assume that everyone knows that?), they only list 11 defensive starters.

Of course you didn't spend any time checking out the WR rotation under Matt Canada...why would you have?