• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My opinion on game one

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense - B+
Defense - D
Special Teams - B

Offense; Simms played a lot better than I expected and he deserved to play the entire game. He made some mistakes but he had a lot more positives than negatives. The o-line played well and controlled the line of scrimmage most of the game. I really liked the play calling and I loved Kiffin on the sideline. I thought Kiffin being on the sideline was genius. If you attended any of the practices like I have you would have seen the unity for the first time today. This offense has the potential to be very prolific.

Defense; We still have a hard time with spread teams but what teams don't? Several mistakes were made, mostly basic fundamentals and technique. That has to be expected with has many young guys we played. All of the mistakes I saw should be easily fixed by the coaches. WVU did a good job a creating mismatches with formations, that's just great coaching by WVU. If we fix the fundamentals this defense will be a lot better. The d-line got better has the game went on and they dominated the line of scrimmage by the 4th quarter. I see people on social media and on here panicking but let's remember that we only gave up one offensive touchdown.

Special Teams; If it wasn't for the 100 yard return I would have gave them an A+

WVU has great skill players, they run an offense that Bama historically has difficulty with, they returned 8 or 9 starters on defense, they have a good coach. It wasn't perfect but I thought it was a great win with more positives than negatives. Coach Saban has plenty of coaching material for the next couple of weeks.

Roll Tide!

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sims was up and down...can he get us to the playoffs? Idk, I'm not sold on it yet. I was pleased with the play calling, a couple of play calls were wtf but not a big deal. OL impressed me. Defense did play better in the second half. Tackling was awful though. Have to work on tackling. And have to get Sylve off the field. I know Eddie Jackson has been hurt, but get someone besides Sylve out there.

Oh and we have a kicker :yes:

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense looked terrible!

Offense: B-
Defense: D
Punter: A
FG : A
Kick Coverage: B (due to 1 play)

If they don't improve, I see 2 losses for sure this year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I suppose I have a different take, so I'll grade it out.

Offense: C
Defense: B+
Punter: A
FG : A+
Kick Coverage: C-

I get that people think the defense looked bad and the offense looked better. That is true until you take into account the strengths and weaknesses of WVU. We played a team that usually has a much better offense than defense.

Offense - I was happy to see we ran the ball enough to get 2 backs over 100 yards. I was happy with the play calling from Kiffin. I was surprised to see Sims pass as much and he exceeded my expectations. However, we only scored 30 points against a team that may end up being the worst defense we play all year. We struggled to maintain drives at times and kicked too many FG's. If not for the A+ FG kicking, we wouldn't have won. I give us a C - this offense is not good enough to win the SEC.

Defense - Actually only gave up 16 points to a team that is offensively heavy, runs the spread and the HUNH. And we did it while having a backup starting at the most important LB spot, and with a 2nd string CB who was getting abused and made up the majority of yards. 95% of the defense was doing pretty damn good. Their only TD pass was against Slyve as well. Had a few moments of bad tackling that shouldn't have happened. CB depth is still a major concern as expected. Perry seemed to do ok in the FS, I didn't see him much and when I did he was making a play. But overall for a 1st game effort and while taking all things into account - Not that damn bad actually. I give us a B+ and can't wait to see how we do on full strength.

Punter - holy crap where did that guy come from? After the A-day game, I was thinking this would be weak for us. But he kicked the shit outta the ball and surprised me. Grade A large eggs.

Kicker - Thank you 9lb, 8oz baby Jesus. A+.

Kick Coverage - seriously no fucking safety on the kickoffs again? I thought you already learned that lesson and got things worked out Saban? Spend more time on special teams, they have been killing us lately and this is not an area we need to digress in. Also did not see enough touchbacks and/or height on the ball to make kicking to the 1 yard line worthwhile. C for Can we please get the shit together?

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest takes from week 1 vs West Virginia:

Oline- B
QB- A-
RB- A
WR- B+
TE- B-

Overall- A-

Our offense, when all is said and done, got the job done. Our running game was solid. Out Oline blocked well against 4/5 man rush, and Sims showed great poise in the pocket. Sims actually passed BETTER in the pocket than out of the pocket. Kiffin has made great strides with him. I was disappointed that our TEs didn't make a big difference in the game other than run blocking. Our WRs have to catch the ball better. Overall, I think they did well. They will improve as the year goes on. I like Kiffin calling the plays.

DLine- B-
LBs- C
S- B-
CB- C-

Overall- B-

Okay. Obviously, we missed DePriest in the middle. We are young, and with any young defense, there will be bumps in the road. I think our Dline was getting a better pass rush, not a great one, but much better than last year. Our LBs have to be more aggressive at the point of attack. Safeties have got to be more aware on pass plays, Collins was late on too many deep passes. CBs have to get their MOTHER FUCKING head around. We had great coverage, we just didn't finish. Sylve was on the WR all night, but would never turn around. We need to improve everywhere, obviously. All in all, they only allowed 16 points and just 1 TD.

K- A+
P- A+
KR/PR- A-
K coverage- B-
P coverage- A

Overall- A

Griffith and Scott just need to keep doing what they're doing. I didn't like our kick coverage at all. Too much open space behind the first wall. Our punt coverage was helped by Scott. Hopefully, we fix that one title issue. Our return game was meh. Really didn't impress me at all.

Team Assessment- B+

We have a high ceiling this year. We didn't have that the previous 2 years. The biggest thing with this team is chemistry. That will go a long way in how we handle adversity in big/close games, which I thought we did very well in all 3 phases, including coaching, against West Virginia.