• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's DFA DJ Peterson

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know he never lived up to his 1st round talent, but to just DFA him? JD has got to go.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He straight up DFA a 25 yr old. Not a very controllable thing to do! It wasn't like the kid flat out sucks.... what the fuck?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point you have to realize it's not the talent that's lacking but it's the personnel in charge of developing such talent. DFA them instead? Who's the last guy the farm got lucky with in developing? Kyle Seager?

There is a reason why when guys leave this place they tend to do better and that's because this organization sucks at developing talents.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know he never lived up to his 1st round talent, but to just DFA him? JD has got to go.

I hate being that guy but ownership does need to step in and either get rid of Jerry or put chains on him. You don't trade your second best prospect for nothing and DFA another top 15 one. Could've traded him for at least something, probably Ramirez or Gonzales.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really starting to think JD has some sort of vendetta against Jack Z's prospects.

Peterson didn't live up to expectations, but this just doesn't make sense.

If I'm correct Peterson was last ranked as a top 100 prospect at the same time Marco Gonzales was. Lol...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really starting to think JD has some sort of vendetta against Jack Z's prospects.

Peterson didn't live up to expectations, but this just doesn't make sense.

If I'm correct Peterson was last ranked as a top 100 prospect at the same time Marco Gonzales was. Lol...

Most GM's don't fall in love with the old GM's prospects and trade them, not release them, this isn't football where roster spots are precious and it is easier to deal them. The fact that Vogelbach has proven to be a AAAA guy and Petersen hasn't even had a shot to prove he sucks at the major league level astonishes me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most GM's don't fall in love with the old GM's prospects and trade them, not release them, this isn't football where roster spots are precious and it is easier to deal them. The fact that Vogelbach has proven to be a AAAA guy and Petersen hasn't even had a shot to prove he sucks at the major league level astonishes me.

I don't think Vogelbach has had enough time in the majors yet to definitively claim he's a AAAA guy. 33 ABs ain't very much, and he does have an excellent track record in the minors. My bigger concern with Vogelbach is that he is a 1-tool player. If he's not a legitimately good MLB hitter, he's useless. He can't run and he can't field. When I say "good" I mean .280/.370 type guy with 25+ HRs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Vogelbach has had enough time in the majors yet to definitively claim he's a AAAA guy. 33 ABs ain't very much, and he does have an excellent track record in the minors. My bigger concern with Vogelbach is that he is a 1-tool player. If he's not a legitimately good MLB hitter, he's useless. He can't run and he can't field. When I say "good" I mean .280/.370 type guy with 25+ HRs.

I guess I saw enough of him to write him off. He couldn't do anything that is major league level and his fielding isn't junior high level. Jerry loved him because he is patient. A pitcher just needed to throw two strikes then throw one on either corner. I could be completely wrong but Jerry did send him down and gave the job to Valencia who was hitting like .140 at the time.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I saw enough of him to write him off. He couldn't do anything that is major league level and his fielding isn't junior high level. Jerry loved him because he is patient. A pitcher just needed to throw two strikes then throw one on either corner. I could be completely wrong but Jerry did send him down and gave the job to Valencia who was hitting like .140 at the time.

I was really busy with work last year so I don't think I caught many of his ABs last year. At the beginning of the season this year I was also pretty busy so any of his ABs that I saw were probably while I was at the game and I don't analyze the game as well when I'm drunk with friends lol.

The scouting reports on him look good and his AAA numbers seem to back it up. So for now I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I only caught his games at the beginning of the year where he looked like a beer league softball player making a fool out of himself.

But with Tacoma he looks totally different. He still looks like a beer league defender but he is a really good offensive player, hitting to all fields and has power. So I guess he still could turn out alright, and I'm not a big fan of Petersen but it just seems assbackwsrds that he'd release a good prospect who hasn't choked but keeps a good prospect who has choked just because he traded for him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I only caught his games at the beginning of the year where he looked like a beer league softball player making a fool out of himself.

But with Tacoma he looks totally different. He still looks like a beer league defender but he is a really good offensive player, hitting to all fields and has power. So I guess he still could turn out alright, and I'm not a big fan of Petersen but it just seems assbackwsrds that he'd release a good prospect who hasn't choked but keeps a good prospect who has choked just because he traded for him.

I agree on the bold.

And regarding Vogelbach he would really need to hit well immediately for him to be worth holding on to since he offers absolutely nothing other than his bat.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, and this is just speculation on my part,

JD did call around for a couple weeks seeing if anyone was interested and nobody was, so he DA him

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, and this is just speculation on my part,

JD did call around for a couple weeks seeing if anyone was interested and nobody was, so he DA him

Then, I think Jerry is very shitty at his job if he couldn't get another GM to give up a guy similar to Bergman or Gavilio in terms of low ceiling. If he couldnt find someone to take him, then hold onto him and you clear him through waivers in August and trade him for a reliever or a left handed bat when teams are salary dumping.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow the Mariners could get Theo Epstein in at GM and still be the worst run team in baseball

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then, I think Jerry is very shitty at his job if he couldn't get another GM to give up a guy similar to Bergman or Gavilio in terms of low ceiling. If he couldnt find someone to take him, then hold onto him and you clear him through waivers in August and trade him for a reliever or a left handed bat when teams are salary dumping.

I have to agree with this @mcnabb7542

At worst, you hold on to him and he's a secondary piece in a trade for someone who actually matters.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I get it and agree with Wazzu, I just can't see him (JD) just up and say "screw it".....
So he's making organizational decisions based on emotions? If that's the case, we're fucked. One simply cannot just say "screw it" and DFA a young player.