• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More offense in MLB this year? Don't count on it

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has already been 13 shoutouts through the first 37 games this year. In seven other instances the losing team only scored one run. So, to summarize, in 20 of the first 37 games (54%) of the season, the losing team has scored either one or zero runs.

Maybe it's a fluke. It's cold in April and pitchers are usually ahead of hitters in April. But I don't remember there being this many shutouts in early April last year, or any other year for that matter.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article a couple of days ago regarding how pitching has gained the upper hands in the past couple of years. Can't really recall where or by who right now. I'll look into it.

There was also an article on Yahoo! last night that we shouldn't overreact to the pitching dominance this early in the season. But perhaps there is already a trend.. who knows.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if they would actually use the correct strike zone that might not be a problem, MLB can change the size of the strike zone all they want but it just doesn't matter because the umpires cannot/will not call a correct strike zone.

Watch any game this year, pitchers just throw around the plate and are getting everything called strikes. The human element cannot accurately judge a strike zone without some help and that's never going to change.

The k-zone was a cool idea to help MLB judge the umpires performance during games and what has it done for us really? not a single thing because they wont use it as a tool.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the speed of play may also be a factor. The data doesn't and can't really represent it since it's only 3 games into the season but by not allowing batters to step out of the batter's box and pitchers working at a faster pace may just allow them to get into a rhythm a lot quicker and pitch more effectively.

we'll have to see at the end of the year if the speed of play is a factor should the pitching dominance holds.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well its cold and the pitchers ALWAYS have an early advantage over hitters.....

But its an interesting topic. Was watching mlb network sunday. they had a round table discussion about it.

Saying that runs are down cause of all of these factors:
-Shift.....the shift is killing BA's specifically lefties. I think they said averages for lefties last year was almost 30 points lower then the previous years
-Cut fastball...... EVERYone has a cutter now it seems. So you have a ball thats upwards of 92-95 mph with huge movement.
-Power arms..... it used to be a special event if you had a pitcher throwing 95 plus. Now its the exception to the rule when a pitcher DOESNT throw atleast 95 plus..... especially for bull pen arms.. I dont think the M's have a guy in the pen that doesn't atleast hit 95.

Now combine the velocity, with the movement of the cutter, and batters are struggling to square up a ball... let alone guide it to oppo field to beat the shift.........the result? low scoring games.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has already been 13 shoutouts through the first 37 games this year. In seven other instances the losing team only scored one run. So, to summarize, in 20 of the first 37 games (54%) of the season, the losing team has scored either one or zero runs.

Maybe it's a fluke. It's cold in April and pitchers are usually ahead of hitters in April. But I don't remember there being this many shutouts in early April last year, or any other year for that matter.
To whom did the SHOUTOUTS go?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to take into account the steroid era finally coming to an end. There are a lot better pitchers now because younger kids who would normally play the field somewhere decided to pitch and the league is littered with guys who were part of the change IMO.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Indians just missed out on a combined no-hitter and a shutout on a 9th inning HR.

That sucks for them.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To whom did the SHOUTOUTS go?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
LOL. Looks alot like something I would do. It's fascinating how the fingers manage to find keys you never intended for them to find. One of the typing mistakes I make constantly is forgetting to add the contraction to a verb, which can potentially completely change the point you are trying to make in a post.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Indians just missed out on a combined no-hitter and a shutout on a 9th inning HR.

That sucks for them.

Before that HR, the stros were dangerously close to scoring 1 run in a three game series to start the year. imagine their boards outrage